Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help with greping a field
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help with greping a field Post 39870 by OllieTech on Tuesday 2nd of September 2003 05:51:30 PM
Old 09-02-2003
oombera, as far as it only appearing as 3 lines, did you copy and post in to text editor and remove word wrap and saw 3 lines? If that is the case and it is indeed only 3 lines, then grep will not really be much assistance.

rooh, can you confirm whether oombera is correct about it being only 3 lines, or can you post the same output as a text file?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

GREPing for Nulls

I just had a filesystem / file corruption issue on my HSP's server due to disk capacity limits and fileswapping. I discovered that certain files got corrupted when fileswapping was not successful and they ended up with a string of control characters, or what I believe to be nulls, in them. Does... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dr. DOT
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Greping certain lines

One of my outout is like this as shown below. How can I grep only the lines after the line "Affected files ...". No of lines after the line "Affected files ..." may vary. $ cat file_A Change 149133 by csaha@test_depo_csaha on 2006/02/08 01:40:57 *pending* This is to test change #... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: csaha
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help in greping

i have a ksh script : #!/bin/ksh TZ=`date +%Z`+24 ;a=`date +%Y-%m-%d` b=`date +"%H:%M:%S"` cd /ednadtu3/u01/pipe/logs for i in Archiver1.log do cat $i | grep $a | grep $b >> /ednadtu3/u01/pipe/naveed/Insert_Date.txt done... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali560045
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Greping the required parameter...

Hi Friends, Urgently required to know this : I have a file which has several stanzas like below : CuDv: name = "hdisk3" status = 1 chgstatus = 2 ddins = "scdisk" location = "03-08-01-11,0" parent = "scsi1" connwhere =... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijaya2006
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

greping ip address

I have this line BTSRTRGRP-448-1-1 10.162.141.118/255.255.255.254 - I need to print only the IPADDRESS and not the subnet mask. If i use cut -c30-43 I get the ipaddress, where as in some cases if the last octet is of single digit (10.162.141.8/255.255.255.254) it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: miltonrods
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Greping in between two different lines.

I know you could use the grep "something" -A200 flag to get all the lines past your pattern. Is there a way to get all the lines in between two patterns? The -a flag will not work since all lines in between the two patterns don't have a constant number. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jwillis0720
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help in greping

Hi, i have to find a string in a file and positin of the string in the file would come in some particular interval. let's say file is 1-1000 lines and string is in from 200-300line. could any one suggest me how to get make the grep search for the string in that particular portion of the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tarakant
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

greping $2 into a list

Hi When I run this command: lsuser -a auditclasses ALL I got: user1 auditclasses=general,objects,cron,files,rbac,audit,lvm,aixpert user2 auditclasses=general,objects,cron,files,rbac,audit,lvm,aixpert user3 auditclasses=general,objects,cron,files,rbac,audit,lvm,aixpert user4... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: iga3725
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Greping the string from a log

Hi Folks, I am searching something in multiple logs , actually an even ocuurs which get recorded in logs with a special word so rite now I am opening an individual log in vi and then searching it but total in the directory there are such 15 logs and it is very difficult to go one by one so... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: punpun66
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk and greping between lines

i want to grab lines from a file that are between two patterns (including the lines that contain the pattern). here's what im currently doing: data.txt aaa bbb cccc ddd eee ffff ddd code: awk '/bbb/,/fff/ && $0 !~ /ddd/' cdsnmp.sh I want to grab lines between and including bbb... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
5 Replies
EX(1)							      General Commands Manual							     EX(1)

NAME
ex, edit - text editor SYNOPSIS
ex [ - ] [ -v ] [ -t tag ] [ -r ] [ +command ] [ -l ] name ... edit [ ex options ] DESCRIPTION
Ex is the root of a family of editors: edit, ex and vi. Ex is a superset of ed, with the most notable extension being a display editing facility. Display based editing is the focus of vi. If you have not used ed, or are a casual user, you will find that the editor edit is convenient for you. It avoids some of the complexi- ties of ex used mostly by systems programmers and persons very familiar with ed. If you have a CRT terminal, you may wish to use a display based editor; in this case see vi(1), which is a command which focuses on the display editing portion of ex. DOCUMENTATION
The document Edit: A tutorial (USD:14) provides a comprehensive introduction to edit assuming no previous knowledge of computers or the UNIX system. The Ex Reference Manual - Version 3.7 (USD:16) is a comprehensive and complete manual for the command mode features of ex, but you cannot learn to use the editor by reading it. For an introduction to more advanced forms of editing using the command mode of ex see the editing documents written by Brian Kernighan for the editor ed; the material in the introductory and advanced documents works also with ex. An Introduction to Display Editing with Vi (USD:15) introduces the display editor vi and provides reference material on vi. In addition, the Vi Quick Reference card summarizes the commands of vi in a useful, functional way, and is useful with the Introduction. FILES
/usr/share/misc/exstrings error messages /usr/libexec/exrecover recover command /usr/sbin/expreserve preserve command /etc/termcap describes capabilities of terminals ~/.exrc editor startup file /tmp/Exnnnnn editor temporary /tmp/Rxnnnnn named buffer temporary /usr/preserve preservation directory SEE ALSO
awk(1), ed(1), grep(1), sed(1), grep(1), vi(1), termcap(5), environ(7) AUTHOR
Originally written by William Joy Mark Horton has maintained the editor since version 2.7, adding macros, support for many unusual terminals, and other features such as word abbreviation mode. BUGS
The undo command causes all marks to be lost on lines changed and then restored if the marked lines were changed. Undo never clears the buffer modified condition. The z command prints a number of logical rather than physical lines. More than a screen full of output may result if long lines are present. File input/output errors don't print a name if the command line `-' option is used. There is no easy way to do a single scan ignoring case. The editor does not warn if text is placed in named buffers and not used before exiting the editor. Null characters are discarded in input files, and cannot appear in resultant files. 4th Berkeley Distribution October 21, 1996 EX(1)