Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Issue with "rsh" on RedHat
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Issue with "rsh" on RedHat Post 303028640 by bakunin on Friday 11th of January 2019 05:33:17 PM
Old 01-11-2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by gull04
The problem turned out to be the firewall had been turned back on by one of our offshore people, I had already stopped the service
In addition to what Don Cragun already said: how on earth can a user get the privileges necessary to turn on the firewall?? In a long (and rather depressing) life as a systems administrator i learned that admins should be like gods: i am your root - thou shalt have no others besides me!

In AIX there is a file /etc/nologin, which, when in place, prevents any login. (It is deleted automatically upon reboot, so it can't be forgotten.) Maybe there is something alike in RHEL, which you could incorporate to your deployment process to prevent these things? If not: how about killing getty instead? That would also prevent new logins until a final reboot, which should perhaps be the last step in a customisation process anyway.

I hope this helps.

bakunin
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Failed to check status code in "rsh" command

Hi folks, I wrote a ksh program which run scripts from remote server. To check the status code I wrote the following function: check_remote_status() { status_code=`tail -1 $installLog` if ] ; then echo $errMsg | tee -a $installLog exit 1 else echo $validMsg >> $installLog fi... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nir_s
9 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

3. AIX

xx=`date +"%a %b %d"`;rsh xxx grep "^$XX" zzz ?

AIX 4.2 I am trying to do an rsh grep to search for date records inside server logs by doing this : xx=`date +"%a %b %d"` rsh xxx grep "^$XX" zzz gives : grep: 0652-033 Cannot open Jun. grep: 0652-033 Cannot open 11. But if I do : xx=`date +"%a %b %d"` grep "^$XX" zzz it works... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
2 Replies

4. AIX

rsh server "script..." which $PATH is used ?

When running a script on a distant server via rsh, what is the $PATH used ? I had done a script in the /usr/local/bin but the rsh reported it did not find it. So I assume it is using a separate $PATH but how can I find out ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Browser_ice
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

"if" and "then" statement is not working in RedHat

Dear experts, I'm trying to write a script to calculate the usage of Log Archive in a directory, so if it gets to a point where the directory size is 60%, then send out an FYI.. email. So if then it reaches to 80%, move the logs from that directory. I have written the script as follow but... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Afi_Linux
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

""Help Me!""Beginner awk learning issue

Hi All, I have just now started learning awk from the source - Awk - A Tutorial and Introduction - by Bruce Barnett and the bad part is that I am stuck on the very first example for running the awk script. The script is as - #!/bin/sh # Linux users have to change $8 to $9 awk ' BEGIN ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: csrohit
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
INIT(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   INIT(8)

NAME
init - process control initialization SYNOPSIS
/etc/init DESCRIPTION
Init is invoked inside UNIX as the last step in the boot procedure. It normally then runs the automatic reboot sequence as described in reboot(8), and if this succeeds, begins multi-user operation. If the reboot fails, it commences single user operation by giving the super- user a shell on the console. It is possible to pass parameters from the boot program to init so that single user operation is commenced immediately. When such single user operation is terminated by killing the single-user shell (i.e. by hitting ^D), init runs /etc/rc with- out the reboot parameter. This command file performs housekeeping operations such as removing temporary files, mounting file systems, and starting daemons. In multi-user operation, init's role is to create a process for each terminal port on which a user may log in. To begin such operations, it reads the file /etc/ttys and executes a command for each terminal specified in the file. This command will usually be /usr/libexec/getty. Getty opens and initializes the terminal line, reads the user's name and invokes login to log in the user and execute the Shell. Ultimately the Shell will terminate because of an end-of-file either typed explicitly or generated as a result of hanging up. The main path of init, which has been waiting for such an event, wakes up and removes the appropriate entry from the file utmp, which records cur- rent users, and makes an entry in the wtmp, file which maintains a history of logins and logouts. The wtmp entry is made only if a user logged in successfully on the line. Then the appropriate terminal is reopened and getty is reinvoked. Init catches the hangup signal (signal SIGHUP) and interprets it to mean that the file /etc/ttys should be read again. The Shell process on each line which used to be active in ttys but is no longer there is terminated; a new process is created for each added line; lines unchanged in the file are undisturbed. Thus it is possible to drop or add terminal lines without rebooting the system by changing the ttys file and sending a hangup signal to the init process: use `kill -HUP 1.' Init will terminate multi-user operations and resume single-user mode if sent a terminate (TERM) signal, i.e. ``kill -TERM 1''. If there are processes outstanding which are deadlocked (due to hardware or software failure), init will not wait for them all to die (which might take forever), but will time out after 30 seconds and print a warning message. Init will cease creating new getty's and allow the system to slowly die away, if it is sent a terminal stop (TSTP) signal, i.e. ``kill -TSTP 1''. A later hangup will resume full multi-user operations, or a terminate will initiate a single user shell. This hook is used by reboot(8) and halt(8). Init's role is so critical that if it dies, the system will reboot itself automatically. If, at bootstrap time, the init process cannot be located, the system will loop in user mode at location 0x13. DIAGNOSTICS
/usr/libexec/getty gettyargs failing, sleeping. A process being started to service a line is exiting quickly each time it is started. This is often caused by a ringing or noisy terminal line. Init will sleep for 30 seconds, then continue trying to start the process. WARNING: Something is hung (wont die); ps axl advised. A process is hung and could not be killed when the system was shutting down. This is usually caused by a process which is stuck in a device driver due to a persistent device error condition. FILES
/dev/console, /dev/tty*, /var/run/utmp, /usr/adm/wtmp, /etc/ttys, /etc/rc SEE ALSO
login(1), kill(1), sh(1), ttys(5), crash(8), getty(8), rc(8), reboot(8), halt(8), shutdown(8) 4th Berkeley Distribution November 27, 1996 INIT(8)