Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Need help either with awk or sed to get text between words Post 302590724 by konerusuneel on Tuesday 17th of January 2012 08:41:35 AM
Old 01-17-2012
getting error

I now tried your code which you have put in "tags" file and I get error
> sh -x tags.sh test.txt
+ tags.sh == START '{p++'
tags.sh: line 5: tags.sh: command not found
+ c[p]='0}'
+ tags.sh == END
tags.sh: line 8: tags.sh: command not found
tags.sh: line 9: syntax error near unexpected token `('
tags.sh: line 9: ` for (i=0;i<c[p];i++)'

> cat tags.sh
#!/bin/bash
#!/usr/bin/awk -f

# p=print, counts the "block" we are in
# c[p] then is the record number (line count) within that block
$0 == "START" {p++; c[p]=0}

# if we reach END and are within a block, print out each stored record
$0 == "END"&&p {
for (i=0;i<c[p];i++)
print a[p,i]
# in case of a nested block, we'll need to decrement to continue
# capturing for it
p--
print $0 "\n" # print END, and extra newline
next # don't process this line any further
}

I'm running suse linux with /bin/bash

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

text processing ( sed/awk)

hi.. I have a file having record on in 1 line.... I want every 400 characters in a new line... means in 1st line 1-400 in 2nd line - 401-800 etc pl help. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: clx
12 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

text transformation with sed or awk

Hi there, I'm trying to extract automatically opening hours from a website. The page displaying the schedules is http://www.natureetdecouvertes.com/pages/gener/view_FO_STORE_corgen.asp?mag_cod=xxx with xxx going from 101 to 174 I managed to get the following output : le lundi de 10.30 à... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Swapping lines beginning with certain words using sed/awk

I have a large file which reads like this: fixed-address 192.168.6.6 { hardware ethernet 00:22:64:5b:db:b1; host X; } fixed-address 192.168.6.7 { hardware ethernet 00:22:64:5b:db:b3; host Y; } fixed-address 192.168.6.8 { hardware ethernet 00:22:64:5b:db:b4; host A; }... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksk
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed/awk: Delete matching words leaving only the first instance

I have an input text that looks like this (comes already sorted): on Caturday 22 at 10:15, some event on Caturday 22 at 10:15, some other event on Caturday 22 at 21:30, even more events on Funday 23 at 11:00, yet another event I need to delete all the matching words between the lines, from... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GrinningArmor
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED - delete words between two possible words

Hi all, I want to make an script using sed that removes everything between 'begin' (including the line that has it) and 'end1' or 'end2', not removing this line. Let me paste an 2 examples: anything before any string begin few lines of content end1 anything after anything before any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: meuser
4 Replies

6. Debian

Using awk and sed to replace text

Good Day Every one I have a problem finding and replacing text in some large files that will take a long time to manually edit. Example text file looks like this #Example Large Text File unix linux dos squid bind dance bike car plane What im trying to do is to edit all the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxjunkie
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Text replacement with awk or sed?

Hi guys, I worked for almost a half-day for the replacement of some text automatically with script. But no success. The problem is I have hundred of files, which need to be replaced with some new text. It's a painful work to work manually and it's so easy to do it wrong. For example, I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: liuzhencc
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed Find and Replace Text Between Two Strings or Words

I am looking for a sed in which I can recognize all of the text in between two indicators and then replace it with a place holder. For instance, the 1st indicator is a list of words "no|noone|havent" and the 2nd indicator is a list of punctuation ".|,|!".From a sentence such as "noone... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: owwow14
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk, sed, shell all words in INPUT.txt find in column1 of TABLE.txt and replce with column2 in

Hi dears i have text file like this: INPUT.txt 001_1_173 j nuh ]az 001_1_174 j ]esma. nuh ]/.xori . . . and have another text like this TABLE.txt j j nuh word1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: alii
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Format the text using sed or awk

I was able to figure out how to format a text. Raw Data: $ cat test Thu Aug 23 15:43:28 UTC 2018, hostname01, 232.02, 3, 0.00 Thu Aug 23 15:43:35 UTC 2018, hostname02, 231.09, 4, 0.31 Thu Aug 23 15:43:37 UTC 2018, hostname03, 241.67, 4, 0.43 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
5 Replies
EX(1)							      General Commands Manual							     EX(1)

NAME
ex, edit - text editor SYNOPSIS
ex [ - ] [ -v ] [ -t tag ] [ -r ] [ +command ] [ -l ] name ... edit [ ex options ] DESCRIPTION
Ex is the root of a family of editors: edit, ex and vi. Ex is a superset of ed, with the most notable extension being a display editing facility. Display based editing is the focus of vi. If you have not used ed, or are a casual user, you will find that the editor edit is convenient for you. It avoids some of the complexi- ties of ex used mostly by systems programmers and persons very familiar with ed. If you have a CRT terminal, you may wish to use a display based editor; in this case see vi(1), which is a command which focuses on the display editing portion of ex. DOCUMENTATION
The document Edit: A tutorial (USD:14) provides a comprehensive introduction to edit assuming no previous knowledge of computers or the UNIX system. The Ex Reference Manual - Version 3.7 (USD:16) is a comprehensive and complete manual for the command mode features of ex, but you cannot learn to use the editor by reading it. For an introduction to more advanced forms of editing using the command mode of ex see the editing documents written by Brian Kernighan for the editor ed; the material in the introductory and advanced documents works also with ex. An Introduction to Display Editing with Vi (USD:15) introduces the display editor vi and provides reference material on vi. In addition, the Vi Quick Reference card summarizes the commands of vi in a useful, functional way, and is useful with the Introduction. FILES
/usr/share/misc/exstrings error messages /usr/libexec/exrecover recover command /usr/sbin/expreserve preserve command /etc/termcap describes capabilities of terminals ~/.exrc editor startup file /tmp/Exnnnnn editor temporary /tmp/Rxnnnnn named buffer temporary /usr/preserve preservation directory SEE ALSO
awk(1), ed(1), grep(1), sed(1), grep(1), vi(1), termcap(5), environ(7) AUTHOR
Originally written by William Joy Mark Horton has maintained the editor since version 2.7, adding macros, support for many unusual terminals, and other features such as word abbreviation mode. BUGS
The undo command causes all marks to be lost on lines changed and then restored if the marked lines were changed. Undo never clears the buffer modified condition. The z command prints a number of logical rather than physical lines. More than a screen full of output may result if long lines are present. File input/output errors don't print a name if the command line `-' option is used. There is no easy way to do a single scan ignoring case. The editor does not warn if text is placed in named buffers and not used before exiting the editor. Null characters are discarded in input files, and cannot appear in resultant files. 4th Berkeley Distribution October 21, 1996 EX(1)