Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: passwd
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers passwd Post 302571256 by kkalyan on Monday 7th of November 2011 01:29:25 AM
Old 11-07-2011
passwd

Hello ,
how to open utemp,getpwuid files.I know what info these files will carry but i dont know ow to open see the info present in it.

Thanks to help.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

etc/passwd

Can anyone explain the second and third fields in /etc/passwd. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nguda
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

no /etc/passwd

Hello ppl, A small mistake of mine has led the /etc/passwd file deleted. So i went to rescue mode and used the following command echo "root::0:0:Superuser:/:/bin/bash" > passwd but that did not get effect in anyway way. when I switch back to normal mode the root is still asking for a passwd.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cyno
3 Replies

3. HP-UX

passwd

Dear frnds, I have 250 users in passwd file with different passwords, how i can change the password to username+99. pls help out. regards (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jestinabel
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

wc /etc/passwd

I have left unix for a long time.Almost forget everthing.:( Anybody can tell me what is the meaning? wc /etc/passwd 9 16 1155 /etc/passwd and $ wc -l /etc/passwd wc -l /etc/passwd 9 /etc/passwd (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zhshqzyc
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

/etc/passwd

Hello All I want to print only the full name from the /etc/passwd file and print it to the screen . Could you please let me know how can I do that? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: supercops
4 Replies

6. AIX

etc/passwd

Is there any way to allow users to access the etc/passwd file for commands like whoami but not be able to read the file? If I don't put a user in the security group and change the permissions on the etc/passwd file to 640 (rw-r-----) the users can login but the whoami command doesn't work for... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: daveisme
5 Replies

7. Solaris

passwd cmd reenables passwd aging in shadow entry

Hi Folks, I have Solaris 10, latest release. We have passwd aging set in /etc/defalut/passwd. I have an account that passwd should never expire. Acheived by emptying associated users shadow file entries for passwd aging. When I reset the users passwd using passwd command, it re enables... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

etc/passwd help

Hi! i've been searching a way to display the users who are in the /etc/passwd directory...using ls or grep or cat command should do it?i can't find a way to get this right..i mean none of the preview commands function sounded good to me to use... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: strawhatluffy
9 Replies

9. AIX

When did AIX start using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords?

Does anyone know when AIX started using /etc/security/passwd instead of /etc/passwd to store encrypted passwords? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Anne Neville
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

passwd -s

Hi, I've a problem regarding understanding of result of passwd -s command. > passwd -s abc PS 05/24/12 0 441 I'm not a super user. But i need to write a simple code for checking password expiry and send an email to the team id. Is there any other command or way to achieve this?... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam_bd
6 Replies
GETPWENT(3)						     Library Functions Manual						       GETPWENT(3)

NAME
getpwent, getpwnam, getpwuid, setpassent, setpwfile, setpwent, endpwent - get password file entries SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <pwd.h> struct passwd *getpwent() struct passwd *getpwnam(login) char *login; struct passwd *getpwuid(uid) uid_t uid; int setpassent(stayopen) int stayopen; void setpwfile(file) char *file; int setpwent() void endpwent() DESCRIPTION
Getpwent, getpwuid, and getpwnam each return a pointer to a structure containing the broken-out fields of a line in the password file. This structure is defined by the include file <pwd.h>, and contains the following fields: struct passwd { char *pw_name; /* user name */ char *pw_passwd; /* encrypted password */ uid_t pw_uid; /* user uid */ gid_t pw_gid; /* user gid */ time_t pw_change; /* password change time */ char *pw_class; /* user access class */ char *pw_gecos; /* Honeywell login info */ char *pw_dir; /* home directory */ char *pw_shell; /* default shell */ time_t pw_expire; /* account expiration */ }; These fields are more completely described in passwd(5). Getpwnam and getpwuid search the password database for a matching user name or user uid, respectively, returning the first one encountered. Identical user names or user uids may result in undefined behavior. Getpwent sequentially reads the password database and is intended for programs that wish to step through the complete list of users. All three routines will open the password file for reading, if necessary. Setpwfile changes the default password file to file, thus allowing the use of alternate password files. Setpassent opens the file or rewinds it if it is already open. If stayopen is non-zero, file descriptors are left open, significantly speeding up subsequent calls. This functionality is unnecessary for getpwent as it doesn't close its file descriptors by default. It should also be noted that it is dangerous for long-running programs to use this functionality as the password file may be updated by chpass(1), passwd(1), or vipw(8). Setpwent is identical to setpassent with an argument of zero. Endpwent closes any open files. These routines have been written to ``shadow'' the password file, e.g. allow only certain programs to have access to the encrypted pass- word. This is done by using the mkpasswd(8) program, which creates ndbm(3) databases that correspond to the password file, with the single exception that, rather than storing the encrypted password in the database, it stores the offset in the password file where the encrypted password may be found. Getpwent, getpwnam, and getpwuid will use the ndbm files in preference to the ``real'' password files, only reading the password file itself, to obtain the encrypted password, if the process is running with an effective user id equivalent to super-user. If the password file itself is protected, and the ndbm files are not, this makes the password available only to programs running with super-user privileges. FILES
/etc/passwd SEE ALSO
getlogin(3), getgrent(3), ndbm(3), passwd(5) DIAGNOSTICS
The routines getpwent, getpwnam, and getpwuid, return a null pointer on EOF or error. Setpassent and setpwent return 0 on failure and 1 on success. Endpwent and setpwfile have no return value. BUGS
All information is contained in a static buffer which is overwritten by each new call. It must be copied elsewhere to be retained. Intermixing calls to getpwent with calls to getpwnam or getpwuid, or intermixing calls to getpwnam and getpwuid, after using setpassent to require that file descriptors be left open, may result in undefined behavior. The routines getpwent, endpwent, setpassent, and setpwent are fairly useless in a networked environment and should be avoided, if possible. 7th Edition February 23, 1989 GETPWENT(3)