Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting File splitting, naming file according to internal field Post 302453543 by danmero on Wednesday 15th of September 2010 03:54:00 PM
Old 09-15-2010
Code:
awk -F, '/^File/{print>($3"-"$2)}' in.file

---------- Post updated at 03:54 PM ---------- Previous update was at 03:49 PM ----------

or
Code:
awk -F, '/^File/{_=".";split($2,a,_);print>(a[1]_ $3_ a[2])}'  in.file

Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting a file based on some condition and naming them

I have a file given below. I want to split the file where ever I came across ***(instead you can put ### symbols in the file) . Also I need to name the file by extracting the report name from the first line which is in bold(eg:RPT507A) concatinated with DD(day on which the file runs). Can someone... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: srivsn
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

naming a file to hostname

I am running a script remotely to another client. after it runs it places the file in /tmp. I need the file in /tmp to be renamed to the local hostname. but when i set the variable it names the file to my local hostname. how do i fix that (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: deaconf19
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

issue in naming a file

Hi, I want to create a file named 'abc(+1)' and append the data of file 'abc' to it. But getting error as unexpected'(' when i tried to use the following command. cat abc > abc(+1) Is there any other way to include brackets along with +1 in the file name? TIA. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vimalr
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

#file naming

hi all, Please advise at what circumstance those file will become -rwxr-xr-x 1 psa psa 1969088 Aug 18 2006 #libaa.sl -rwx------ 1 psa psa 2166784 Jul 25 2006 #libcrypto.sl.0.9.7 -rwx------ 1 psa psa 904040 Jul 25 2006 #libxxx.sl -rwx------ 1 psa ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rauphelhunter
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending 1st field in a file into 2nd field in another file

Hi, I've internally searched through forums for about 2+ hours. Unfortunately, with no luck. Although I've found some cases close to mine below, but didn't help so much. Actually, I'm in short with time. So I had to post my case. Hoping that you can help. I have 2 files, FILE1 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: amurib
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append 1st field from a file into 2nd field of another file

Hi, I've internally searched through forums for about 2+ hours. Unfortunately, with no luck. Although I've found some cases close to mine below, but didn't help so much. Actually, I'm in short with time. So I had to post my case. Hoping that you can help. I have 2 files, FILE1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amurib
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Splitting large file and renaming based on field

I am trying to update an older program on a small cluster. It uses individual files to send jobs to each node. However the newer database comes as one large file, containing over 10,000 records. I therefore need to split this file. It looks like this: HMMER3/b NAME 1-cysPrx_C ACC ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fozrun
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

file naming in a script

#!/bin/bash while read inputline do what="$inputline" echo $what; if ; then exit fi $reextend $what $print ls -a done this is my code i am trying to change all of the file types of a certain directory to another file type but im not all the way there can someone help please (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: domdom110
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

IFS(Internal Field separator)

Hi All, I need your small help in using IFS. I am using it like below but i am not getting the desired output. var=ABCD,EFGH,IJKL,MNOP,QRST export IFS="," for x in $var do if ] then temp="Group_$x" GP=${!temp} else temp="Group_$x" MP="${!temp}" GP="$GP","$MP" (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prasanna2166
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with naming the file

Hi, I have a folder that contains files abc.txt def.txt ....and so on Inside abc.txt, I have @<TRIPOS>MOLECULE 4|Chelerythrine|abcb11_earlyIdentification_Stronginhib_washed_ligprep|sdf|1|dock Inside def.txt, I have @<TRIPOS>MOLECULE... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rossi
6 Replies
PASSWD(5)							File Formats Manual							 PASSWD(5)

NAME
passwd - password files DESCRIPTION
Passwd files are files consisting of newline separated records, one per user, containing ten colon (``:'') separated fields. These fields are as follows: name user's login name password user's encrypted password uid user's id gid user's login group id class user's general classification (unused) change password change time expire account expiration time gecos general information about the user home_dir user's home directory shell user's login shell The name field is the login used to access the computer account, and the uid field is the number associated with it. They should both be unique across the system (and often across a group of systems) since they control file access. While it is possible to have multiple entries with identical login names and/or identical user id's, it is usually a mistake to do so. Routines that manipulate these files will often return only one of the multiple entries, and that one by random selection. The login name must never begin with a hyphen (``-''); also, it is strongly suggested that neither upper-case characters or dots (``.'') be part of the name, as this tends to confuse mailers. No field may contain a colon (``:'') as this has been used historically to separate the fields in the user database. The password field is the encrypted form of the password. If the password field is empty, no password will be required to gain access to the machine. This is almost invariably a mistake. Because these files contain the encrypted user passwords, they should not be readable by anyone without appropriate privileges. The group field is the group that the user will be placed in upon login. Since this system supports multiple groups (see groups(1)) this field currently has little special meaning. The class field is currently unused. In the near future it will be a key to a termcap(5) style database of user attributes. The change field is the number in seconds, GMT, from the epoch, until the password for the account must be changed. This field may be left empty to turn off the password aging feature. The expire field is the number in seconds, GMT, from the epoch, until the account expires. This field may be left empty to turn off the account aging feature. The gecos field normally contains comma (``,'') separated subfields as follows: name user's full name office user's office number wphone user's work phone number hphone user's home phone number This information is used by the finger(1) program. The user's home directory is the full UNIX path name where the user will be placed on login. The shell field is the command interpreter the user prefers. If the shell field is empty, the Bourne shell (/bin/sh) is assumed. SEE ALSO
chpass(1), login(1), passwd(1), getpwent(3), mkpasswd(8), vipw(8) adduser(8) BUGS
User information should (and eventually will) be stored elsewhere. 7th Edition May 8, 1989 PASSWD(5)