Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Career blues!!!
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Career blues!!! Post 302092423 by ranj@chn on Monday 9th of October 2006 06:01:34 PM
Old 10-09-2006
Question Career blues!!!

Hi all,

Just writing to know how to approach the situation. I am currently with 2+ exp in a support environment in Unix..mostly on the application side..have not done any Sysadmin work..

My interest is to move towards Unix admin or towards Storage/Networking side..But the problem is that my Company seems to be not preferring people with limited exp to take admin tasks..Not sure how i will learn though...Thats another point..

Cant switch companies immediately for personal reasons..Any idea how can I learn admin stuff and prove myself capable of handling bigger challenges...Any ideas are most welcome....

Regards...

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

NFS Blues

I have a situation where there are two SCO R5 Open Server Unix boxes in a remote location. The two boxes are inter-related via NFS mounts. My problem occurs when one of the boxes goes down, the NFS relationship stops the remaining machine from carrying on, even though it would be able to do so if... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcs7088
2 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

D'oh! Apple Pro Keyboard Blues

My new Pro Keyboard works great, but the power switch on the computer won't turn the computer on! It's an older model, a Revision D iMac (333), but I know I've used the computer-mounted power switch to power the machine down before. Am I missing something? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chenly
1 Replies

3. Programming

xlib blues (XFree86 - Linux)

My goal is to open a window in the X-server and plot a series of pixels. However, I find many examples I have tried to draw to a window fail and the window remains blank. Therefore, I am here requesting information. I do not know c, and am a beginner. Currently, I am using a mix-match of code,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Alux
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Career

Who in here works as an Unix administrator? I currently finishing up my BS Technical Management and im considering going into Unix base environment, if anybody is already in the field what do you recommended for a fresh meat like me, i currently studying to go for my solaris 10 certification as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gueso
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

career help

I just completed my solaris 10 certification, i also plan on learning shell scripting in depth can anyone advise what is the best way to job hunt in this field i have extensive expierience on windows networking and i am based in atlanta, ga Any suggestions??? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: niravx18
0 Replies

6. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

kde blues

So I'm pretty much a n00b when it comes to Unix but I've decided to give it a shot. I managed to install FreeBSD 6.2 on one partition of my hard drive on my laptop. During the installation I choose to install KDE, not wanting to deal with a non GUI operating system right away! However, whenever I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rinquisitor
1 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

Not sure what I want to study for a career...

Hi guys, this is my first post :) OK, so basically I'm an unemployed 29 y/o with just an Associates degree in Computer Info and so far I haven't been able to do anything with it. So I was thinking about going for a Bachelors until recently since I need to get into a career quickly and I'm... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Magnetico
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

New account blues !

hi .. I tried to create a new account with useradd leghorn (being in root) Also I gave a password for the same using passwd leghorn. So when I go su legorn, it doesnt prompt for the password. Kindly drop in your valuable comments ~cheers (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: leghorn
9 Replies
talk(1) 							   User Commands							   talk(1)

NAME
talk - talk to another user SYNOPSIS
talk address [terminal] DESCRIPTION
The talk utility is a two-way, screen-oriented communication program. When first invoked, talk sends a message similar to: Message from TalkDaemon@ her_machine at time ... talk: connection requested by your_address talk: respond with: talk your_address to the specified address. At this point, the recipient of the message can reply by typing: talk your_address Once communication is established, the two parties can type simultaneously, with their output displayed in separate regions of the screen. Characters are processed as follows: o Typing the alert character will alert the recipient's terminal. o Typing Control-L will cause the sender's screen regions to be refreshed. o Typing the erase and kill characters will affect the sender's terminal in the manner described by the termios(3C) interface. o Typing the interrupt or end-of-file (EOF) characters will terminate the local talk utility. Once the talk session has been terminated on one side, the other side of the talk session will be notified that the talk session has been terminated and will be able to do nothing except exit. o Typing characters from LC_CTYPE classifications print or space will cause those characters to be sent to the recipient's terminal. o When and only when the stty iexten local mode is enabled, additional special control characters and multi-byte or single-byte charac- ters are processed as printable characters if their wide character equivalents are printable. o Typing other non-printable characters will cause them to be written to the recipient's terminal as follows: control characters will appear as a caret (^) followed by the appropriate ASCII character, and characters with the high-order bit set will appear in "meta" notation. For example, `03' is displayed as `^C' and `372' as `M-z'. Permission to be a recipient of a talk message can be denied or granted by use of the mesg(1) utility. However, a user's privilege may fur- ther constrain the domain of accessibility of other users' terminals. Certain commands, such as pr(1), disallow messages in order to pre- vent interference with their output. talk will fail when the user lacks the appropriate privileges to perform the requested action. Certain block-mode terminals do not have all the capabilities necessary to support the simultaneous exchange of messages required for talk. When this type of exchange cannot be supported on such terminals, the implementation may support an exchange with reduced levels of simul- taneous interaction or it may report an error describing the terminal-related deficiency. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: address The recipient of the talk session. One form of address is the username, as returned by the who(1) utility. If you wish to talk to someone on your own machine, then username is just the person's login name. If you wish to talk to a user on another host, then username is one of the following forms: host!user host.user host:user user@host although user@host is perhaps preferred. terminal If the recipient is logged in more than once, terminal can be used to indicate the appropriate terminal name. If terminal is not specified, the talk message will be displayed on one or more accessible terminals in use by the recipient. The for- mat of terminal will be the same as that returned by who. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of talk: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. TERM Determine the name of the invoker's terminal type. If this variable is unset or null, an unspecified terminal type will be used. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. >0 An error occurred, or talk was invoked on a terminal incapable of supporting it. FILES
/etc/hosts host name database /var/adm/utmpx user and accounting information for talk ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWrcmds | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mail(1), mesg(1), pr(1), stty(1), who(1), write(1), termios(3C), attributes(5), environ(5), standards(5) NOTES
Typing Control-L redraws the screen, while the erase, kill, and word kill characters will work in talk as normal. To exit, type an inter- rupt character. talk then moves the cursor to the bottom of the screen and restores the terminal to its previous state. SunOS 5.10 6 Nov 2000 talk(1)