Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers install Linux 7.3 using DIsk Druid Post 24438 by PxT on Thursday 11th of July 2002 01:07:30 PM
Old 07-11-2002
/dev/shm is not a real filesystem, it is a shared memory segment used internally by some processes. RH7.3 will create this partition whether you want it or not. (btw, you do want it -- dont remove it unless you know what you are doing)

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Install Solaris on External Firewire Disk

Hello All, I have a laptop running windows 2000 and I have a External Firewire Hard Disk of 60 GB. Now my question is, " Is it possible to install Solaris 8 on this external Firewire Hard Disk". When I tried installing, It did not find the external Firewire Disk, the only partition information,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sanjay92
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Install a new disk - i'm a total novice

Hi, This is the last of my two questions. Unfortunately i'm a total unix/solaris novice and our current solaris project has landed on my lap!! Sorry to bother you all!!! I currently have a solaris 7 system with two IDE disks in it. I need to add a third disk and install another version of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: AJD
3 Replies

3. Linux

Strange Disk problem on Install

Hello Forum, I am getting a very strange symptom whilst doing an install of CentOS on to an X64 system and I was wondering if anyone else had seen this problem. I have two disks (PATA) installed to IDE0 (master) and the CDROM installed to IDE1 (slave) as a slave device. When I boot up the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: leenux_tux
0 Replies

4. SCO

Incorrect Disk Partition - New Install SCO 6.0

New IBM x3400 machine with a raid 5 configuration. Go through the early setup routine to the point where I answer the questions for time zone, machine name. Enter continue and get a message stating : "Incorrect disk partitioning cannot continue" This is a sco message, refers to the installation... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wjbtms
1 Replies

5. Solaris

install new disk

I am attempting to install a new internal disk. System is running Solaris 9/05. I did a touch /reconfigure and see the disk when I type format command. But the cxtxdx disk shows "drive not available". Any idea if we are supposed to configure anything with this disk? I have not format the disk... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluridge
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to install new packages when disk space is full

during installation i created four partitions mainly / 5GB /home 1GB /boot 100MB swap 2GB now since i didnt make the /usr partition all of the packages were being installed in the / partition ..now all the space in the / partition is filled ...i ran du -h... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tarunicon
3 Replies

7. Ubuntu

XP and Linux (Ubuntu) on same disk, Can I install Ubuntu on not-yet partitioned portion of disk?

My PC (Esprimo, 3 yeas old) has one hard drive having 2 partitions C: (80 GB NTFS, XP) and D: (120 GB NTFS, empty) and and a 200 MB area that yet is not-partitioned. I would like to try Ubuntu and to install Ubuntu on the not-partitioned area . The idea is to have the possibility to run... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: C.Weidemann
7 Replies

8. Linux

C++ Code to Access Linux Hard Disk Sectors (with a LoopBack Virtual Hard Disk)

Hi all, I'm kind of new to programming in Linux & c/c++. I'm currently writing a FileManager using Ubuntu Linux(10.10) for Learning Purposes. I've got started on this project by creating a loopback device to be used as my virtual hard disk. After creating the loop back hard disk and mounting it... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: shen747
23 Replies

9. Red Hat

install redhat linux 5 into usb disk

Hi, I have 2 question. 1)how can I install the redhat linux 5 into USB disk and boot from USB disk forever. 2) how can I backup an existing redhat linux from hd to USB by disk image and make the USB bootable afterward , so I can use usb disk to boot the linux in another machine .... Please... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chuikingman
0 Replies
SHMAT(2)						      BSD System Calls Manual							  SHMAT(2)

NAME
shmat, shmdt -- map/unmap shared memory SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/ipc.h> #include <sys/shm.h> void * shmat(int shmid, void *shmaddr, int shmflg); int shmdt(void *shmaddr); DESCRIPTION
shmat() maps the shared memory segment associated with the shared memory identifier shmid into the address space of the calling process. The address at which the segment is mapped is determined by the shmaddr parameter. If it is equal to 0, the system will pick an address itself. Otherwise, an attempt is made to map the shared memory segment at the address shmaddr specifies. If SHM_RND is set in shmflg, the system will round the address down to a multiple of SHMLBA bytes (SHMLBA is defined in <sys/shm.h> ). A shared memory segment can be mapped read-only by specifying the SHM_RDONLY flag in shmflg. shmdt() unmaps the shared memory segment that is currently mapped at shmaddr from the calling process' address space. shmaddr must be a value returned by a prior shmat() call. A shared memory segment will remain existant until it is removed by a call to shmctl(2) with the IPC_RMID command. RETURN VALUES
shmat() returns the address at which the shared memory segment has been mapped into the calling process' address space when successful, shmdt() returns 0 on successful completion. Otherwise, a value of -1 is returned, and the global variable errno is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
shmat() will fail if: [EACCES] The calling process has no permission to access this shared memory segment. [ENOMEM] There is not enough available data space for the calling process to map the shared memory segment. [EINVAL] shmid is not a valid shared memory identifier. shmaddr specifies an illegal address. [EMFILE] The number of shared memory segments has reached the system-wide limit. shmdt() will fail if: [EINVAL] shmaddr is not the start address of a mapped shared memory segment. SEE ALSO
shmctl(2), shmget(2), mmap(2) BSD
August 17, 1995 BSD