Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: how to format a grep command
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to format a grep command Post 89964 by jasongr on Thursday 17th of November 2005 08:00:20 AM
Old 11-17-2005
how to format a grep command

Hello

I am trying to use the grap command to locate the following phrase in a file:
"file.php\tDebug: one two three"

Note that \t denotes a tab (whitespace) and not the characters \ and t

I am encountering the following 2 problems:
1) there is a perido between "file" and "php" which needs to be encoded somehow
2) there is a tab between "php" and "Debug" which needs to be encoded somehow

I would appreciate it if someone could some me what the correct syntax for this command should be

In a more general note, I would appreciate if someone could refer me to a manual on using grep, including character escaping

regards and thanks in advance

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to exclude the GREP command from GREP

I am doing "ps -f" to see my process. but I get lines that one of it represents the ps command itself. I want to grep it out using -v flag, but than I get another process that belongs to the GREP itself : I would like to exclude # ps -f UID PID PPID C STIME TTY TIME CMD... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yamsin789
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep using date format

i have a process ruuning root 843786 835648 0 Nov 10 - 0:31 java root 860340 1 0 Nov 11 - 0:31 then how to grep this using date above i have written a script ---------------------------- #!/bin/ksh a=`date +"%m-%d"` ps | grep root | grep "$a" >> file1... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali560045
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep using date format

i have few persistance apps like below pipe 1118370 1200312 0 Dec 18 - 192:03 java - _AppName=DBSyncController pipe 2523376 1568906 0 feb 25 - 386:15 java -Xms128m -Xmx1024m -D_AppName=DBMaint com pipe 7462996 2531452 0 march 18 - 23:22 java... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali560045
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep, then format then prepare a string

Hi I have a file which is having line like below Personal Unit=AU003 (Industrial Products Division),Plant=B00089,Departmant=D110 When ever i fine line starting sith Personal Unit and contains Plant Department I need to pick this line and format it like Personal Unit=AU003 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishna.fuji
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

can anyone help with shell script command about searching word with grep command?

i want to search in the current directory all the files that contain one word for example "hello" i want to achieve it with the grep command but not with the grep * (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aintour
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl code to grep a particular column in CSV format

Hi I want to grep a column 6 & column 7 from a CSV Format file & then i have to find the difference between these columns as these both columns contains date & time in 7/7/2012 9:20 this format . So kindly help me out ASAP. But please kindly dis xls has to be converted in csv format as may... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prateek@123
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep commands & format

I have these grep commands and need to put them next each other (in horizontal layout). cat /tmp/dsmc.out |grep Done cat /tmp/dsmc.out |grep "Elapsed processing time:" cat /tmp/dsmc.out |grep "Client date/time:" cat /tmp/dsmc.out |grep "Total number of bytes transferred:" so that it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep command output in tabular format

I have a grep command script which works fine and give the correct results but i wanted the output to be displayed in tabular format ? Is it possible to display the output in tabular format and as well direct them to some file. main script : #!/usr/bin/bash Start_Time=`date '+%m%d%y... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Optimus81
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to grep this Data in proper format:- Please Guide

Hi Guys, I need to grep below data in this format backup_id creation expiration policy sched_label backup_id = picoserver38_1212077050, version = 2 creation = 05/29/2008 18:04:10 (1212077050) expiration = 06/29/2008 18:04:10 (1214755450) retention_level = 3, fragment = 2, file_num = 1... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
14 Replies

10. Programming

Python or Shell script to Grep strings from input file and output in csv format

Hi Experts, I am writing a python script to grep string from file and display output in csv file as in attached screenshot https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gfUUdfmQma33tz65NskThYDhkZUGQO0H/view Input file(result_EPFT_config_device) Below is the python script i have prepared as of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: as7951
1 Replies
GRAP2GRAPH(1)						      General Commands Manual						     GRAP2GRAPH(1)

NAME
grap2graph - convert a grap diagram into a cropped bitmap image SYNOPSIS
grap2graph [ -unsafe ] [ -resolution M|MxN ] [ -format fmt ] DESCRIPTION
Reads a grap program as input; produces an image file (by default in Portable Network Graphics format) suitable for the Web as output. For a description of the grap language, see grap(1). Your graph specification should not be wrapped with the .G1 and .G2 macros that normally guard it within groff(1) macros. The output image will be a black-on-white graphic clipped to the smallest possible bounding box that contains all the black pixels. By specifying command-line options to be passed to convert(1) you can give it a border, set the background transparent, set the image's pixel density, or perform other useful transformations. This program uses grap(1), pic(1), groff(1), and the ImageMagick convert(1) program. These programs must be installed on your system and accessible on your $PATH for grap2graph to work. OPTIONS
-unsafe Run pic(1) and groff(1) in the `unsafe' mode enabling the PIC macro sh to execute arbitrary commands. The default is to forbid this. -format fmt Specify an output format; the default is PNG (Portable Network Graphics). Any format that convert(1) can emit is supported. Command-line switches and arguments not listed above are passed to convert(1). ENVIRONMENT
GROFF_TMPDIR The directory in which temporary files will be created. If this is not set grap2graph searches the environment variables TMPDIR, TMP, and TEMP (in that order). Otherwise, temporary files will be created in /tmp. SEE ALSO
pic2graph(1), eqn2graph(1), pic(1), groff(1), gs(1), convert(1). AUTHOR
Eric S. Raymond <esr@thyrsus.com> Groff Version 1.21 31 December 2010 GRAP2GRAPH(1)