Sponsored Content
Operating Systems BSD OpenBSD sh and ksh differences? Post 80424 by eugrus on Monday 8th of August 2005 10:10:13 AM
Old 08-08-2005

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

please help with openbsd 2.9

Please help. I have downloaded the openbsd 2.9 snapshot from ftp.openbsd.org. the following files were downloaded from the snapshot dir. ( the whole dir. was downloaded ) base29,bsd,bsd.rd,cdrom29.fs,cksum,comp29,etc29,all three floppy images,game29,index,install.ata,install.chs... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Blunt_Killer
11 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

OpenBSD installation

Hello I'm trying to install OpenBSD on my computer.. My partitions are these: wd0c : Where I have windows XP (NTFS) wd0j : Where I want to install OpenBSD (4.2BSD) wd0k: Where I have the installation files (Fat32) When the installation comes to the part where it mounts... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hamcha
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

OpenBSD: dircolors?

Hi, I'm wondering how I can get colors on the stuff that ls prints out in OpenBSD? //Maestin (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maestin
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

OpenBSD: ports

Hi there.. I'm new to openbsd, and I recently tried the ports-system.. I downloaded the ports-tree from ftp, and unpacked it in /usr/ports Then I typed 'make search key=centericq' I got some info about it.. but it wasn't the latest version.. the version I use at my gentoo linux box, is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maestin
6 Replies

5. BSD

Trying to get into OpenBSD

I am an eight year Linux user and after getting into an argument with someone about OpenBSD overiding my theory that OS security is 50% OS and 50% admin skill, I decided to try OpenBSD for myself. I've tried BSDs before and haven't been able to get into them for day to dy use, but I am going to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
7 Replies

6. BSD

openbsd-pf

hello , I wondered if anyone could assist me in writing a simple packet filter firewall on my OpenBSD v4.5. All I intend doing is to have two firewalling machine on a separate network : 192.168.1.1 ext_if = xl0 (dhcp) // Internet interface int_if=xl1 // Internatl interface ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mattjam
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Differences between 2 Flat Files and process the differences

Hi Hope you are having a great weeknd !! I had a question and need your expertise for this : I have 2 files File1 & File2(of same structure) which I need to compare on some columns. I need to find the values which are there in File2 but not in File 1 and put the Differences in another file... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_8398
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Manipulating field differences using ksh

I have a list of files that should contain the following Im trying to find the items of interest that are missing from each file and create a csv. cat *.txt | while read file do grep 3500 file | tr '\012' ',' done My problem is this possible output one.txt ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: popeye
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Dot sourcing differences in ksh, AIX vs Linux vs Solaris

Why does dot sourcing of ksh functions behave so differently between AIX, Solaris, and Linux? How can I make Linux behave the way I want in the test I show below? I have a library of interdependent functions I have developed and use in ksh in AIX. They also run in Solaris. Now I am migrating... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: charles_n_may
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh / AIX - Differences between lists to a text file

This seems pretty simple, but I cant figure it out. I get stumped on the simple things. I am running two commands 1) take a listing a directory of files, and filter out the doc_name (which is in a series of extracted files), and place it in a file. ls -l | awk '{print $9}' | grep... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffs42885
5 Replies
shells(4)							   File Formats 							 shells(4)

NAME
shells - shell database SYNOPSIS
/etc/shells DESCRIPTION
The shells file contains a list of the shells on the system. Applications use this file to determine whether a shell is valid. See getuser- shell(3C). For each shell a single line should be present, consisting of the shell's path, relative to root. A hash mark (#) indicates the beginning of a comment; subsequent characters up to the end of the line are not interpreted by the routines which search the file. Blank lines are also ignored. The following default shells are used by utilities: /bin/bash, /bin/csh, /bin/jsh, /bin/ksh, /bin/pfcsh, /bin/pfksh, /bin/pfsh, /bin/sh, /bin/tcsh, /bin/zsh, /sbin/jsh, /sbin/sh, /usr/bin/bash, /usr/bin/csh, /usr/bin/jsh, /usr/bin/ksh, /usr/bin/pfcsh, /usr/bin/pfksh, /usr/bin/pfsh, and /usr/bin/sh, /usr/bin/tcsh, /usr/bin/zsh. Note that /etc/shells overrides the default list. Invalid shells in /etc/shells may cause unexpected behavior (such as being unable to log in by way of ftp(1)). FILES
/etc/shells lists shells on system SEE ALSO
vipw(1B), ftpd(1M), sendmail(1M), getusershell(3C), aliases(4) SunOS 5.10 4 Jun 2001 shells(4)