Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris I may have accidentally redefined one of the outputs... Post 67200 by reborg on Monday 21st of March 2005 06:52:33 PM
Old 03-21-2005
ls -al | grep
will give no output, because it has no pattern to match on.

ls -al | more should work but it may come out incorrectly on screen is you have your TERM environment variable incorrectly defined.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Accidentally deleting directory/files

Hi, I accidentally deleted a big directory with all its sub-directories and bunch of source code files which I have been developing for about 2 years... What will I do now, how can I retrieve my files, directory hierarchy back ??? If anyone, please HELP ! ! ! ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: milhan
4 Replies

2. Solaris

changed shell of the root accidentally

Hi All, I have changed the shell of the root accidentally to /sbin/bash :mad: How do I change that? :( To change that I need to go to ok prompt I think, and there I need to mount the root file system in order to make changes to the respective file. Can any one please suggest how do I do... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pintu_asim
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HELP! Accidentally downloaded .gz file non-binary

Let me start by saying I am at a VERY beginner level in terms of UNIX/FTP/etc. Someone loaded a file onto a server for me and zipped it using gzip. I accidentally downloaded the file without using "binary". I now have a "filename.txt.gz" sitting on my computer that I need to unzip. Is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: UDcc123
2 Replies

4. HP-UX

aCC compiler error - Redefined symbols

I got this error while compiling in aCC compiler. Error 173: "/opt/aCC/include_std/limits", line 694 # Redefined symbol 'numeric_limits<int>'; previously defined at . _RWSTD_SPECIALIZE_LIMITS (bool, int, _RWSTD_BOOL) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Error... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: onlyforforum
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Accidentally did a unlink inet

I was trying to remove a symbolic link of /etc/hosts to /etc/inet/hosts well i forgot the command and in the /etc directory i did unlink inet and now i can not get into inet and it does not exist in /etc 1) what do i do to fix the inet directory 2) how do i link /etc/hosts to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deaconf19
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

create outputs from other command outputs

hi friends, The code: i=1 while do filename=`/usr/bin/ls -l| awk '{ print $9}'` echo $filename>>summary.csv #Gives the name of the file stored at column 9 count=`wc -l $filename | awk '{print $1}'` echo $count>>summary.csv #Gives just the count of lines of file "filename" i=`expr... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajsharma
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Accidentally removed a script

I accidentally rm a script (typo) and it doesn't even show up in the trash. Is there any way I can recover? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevenswj
3 Replies

8. AIX

Oracle ASM accidentally messed with my hdisk

I have AIX 5.3 with oracle 10g ( test server). While trying to create RAW disk for Oracle ASM I have accidentally messed with rootvg (hdisk0 & hdisk1) When I do # lspv hdisk0 0516-066 : Physical volume is not a volume group member. Check the physical volume name specified. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: George_Samaan
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

accidentally umount -a

Hi all, I accidentally unmounted filesystems using umount -a command. How to recover from this. Please help. Thanks in advance! when i try to use mount -a i got the following output. # mount -a mount: /dev/vg00/lvol05 already mounted or /opt busy mount: /dev/vg00/lvol07 already... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lramsb4u
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Subroutine redefined warnings with require keyword

I've been writing a perl script that uses the require keyword. I need to use require for two files, say file a and file b. Here is a general overview of my code: @files = ("a", "b"); foreach $file (@files){ require $file; ... ... } Whenever I run my script, I get subroutine "blah"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chu816
1 Replies
PIPE(2) 							System Calls Manual							   PIPE(2)

NAME
pipe - create an interprocess channel SYNOPSIS
#include <u.h> #include <libc.h> int pipe(int fd[2]) DESCRIPTION
Pipe creates a buffered channel for interprocess I/O communication. Two file descriptors are returned in fd. Data written to fd[1] is available for reading from fd[0] and data written to fd[0] is available for reading from fd[1]. After the pipe has been established, cooperating processes created by subsequent fork(2) calls may pass data through the pipe with read and write calls. The bytes placed on a pipe by one write are contiguous even if many processes are writing. Write boundaries are preserved: each read terminates when the read buffer is full or after reading the last byte of a write, whichever comes first. The number of bytes available to a read(2) is reported in the Length field returned by fstat or dirfstat on a pipe (see stat(2)). When all the data has been read from a pipe and the writer has closed the pipe or exited, read(2) will return 0 bytes. Writes to a pipe with no reader will generate a note sys: write on closed pipe. SOURCE
/sys/src/libc/9syscall SEE ALSO
intro(2), read(2), pipe(3) DIAGNOSTICS
Sets errstr. BUGS
If a read or a write of a pipe is interrupted, some unknown number of bytes may have been transferred. When a read from a pipe returns 0 bytes, it usually means end of file but is indistinguishable from reading the result of an explicit write of zero bytes. PIPE(2)