Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Recursively deleting directories Post 58629 by zazzybob on Friday 26th of November 2004 09:52:13 AM
Old 11-26-2004
No problem.

You are correct - "-type d" does indeed mean directories. Specifically it tells find to only match files of type "directory". This can also be f for regular files, l for symlinks, etc - "man find" will detail the plethora of options available for find - an extrememly powerful command.

The | xargs bit is used to pipe the results from find (i.e. the list of directories) to the rm -r command, so that the command can then be executed. We could also have formed the find command thusly:
find /path/to/test -name "cvs" -type d -exec rm -r {} \;
and it would have done pretty much the same thing.
xargs is useful when the number of results returned by find exceeds the maximum number of arguments allowed by the command we're piping to. Using find with "exec" would have sufficed here, but xargs is habit (and I believe, good practice) for me.

man find, man xargs, man <my_shell_here> will teach you more about the find and xargs commands - and pipes and redirection.

Cheers
ZB

Last edited by zazzybob; 11-26-2004 at 11:00 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to display directories recursively?

Cannot find how to list the directory structure of a volume recursively. Do not want the files reported. Say I have 100 directories and 10,000 files, I do not want 10,000 lines of output. (If this is relevant, I am using the terminal on my OSX Mac). I hope this is easy - there should be an easy... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jwriter
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Recursively delete only specified directories with given pattern

Hi All, We have a requirement to recursively delete the directories and its subdirectories older than 60 days based on timestamp (folder creation timestamp)under certain directory. However it has some specific requirements. The directories will continue to be there upto any depth. the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rcvasu
0 Replies

3. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

PSFTP/PSCP: remotely deleting directory recursively

Hello, I'm looking for a way to use PSFTP or PSCP, executed from a batch file in Windows, to delete an entire folder and its contents. I can run a script using PSFTP which can use rm or rmdir, but the -rf command doesn't work. Any suggestions on another client to use in the same context, or a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ocdcollector
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

List directories and sub directories recursively excluding files

Hi, Please help me, how to get all the direcotries, its sub directories and its sub directories recursively, need to exclude all the files in the process. I wanted to disply using a unix command all the directories recursively excluding files. I tried 'ls -FR' but that display files as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pointers
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Delete empty directories recursively - HP-UX

Hi, I want to delete all empty directories in a long directore tree structure. I want to use that from a script that will run on HP-UX 11. My definition of empty directory is that there is no regular file under it and directly beneath it. To elaborate, I have below directories. /app/dev/java... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: asutoshch
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursively rename directories

I have this directory tree under /apps/myapp/data: imageshack.us/photo/my-images/703/foldersc.png How to recursively rename ONLY directories with 5 digits (00000, 00100, 00200,..., 00007, 00107,...)? I want to add to their name two more zeros: Before: 00107 After: 0000107 Thanks in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Susan_45
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting all files recursively from directories while ignoring one file type

Hi, Seems like I need help again with a problem: I want to delete all files from my lets say "Music" Directory inkluding all of the subfolders except for .mp3 and .MP3 files. I tried it with globalignoring mp3 files, finding and deleting all other files, which resulted in all files... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasc
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Recursively Searcing file in the directories

i have directory dgf in the dgf( some other Sub-dir are there) 00 01 02 03 04 in all the Sub directory there is a SG.csv .. i want the scripts should run one by one Sub-dir and print the result for that particular Sub-dir ..then go to next Sub-Dir and print the result....... please... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aditya.Gurgaon
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generic script to recursively cd into directories and git pull

Hi all, I'm trying to write a script to recursively cd into my Git projects and pull them, and will later expand it to build my projects as well. I'm having a bit of trouble with my current script, as I want to supply a command line argument to tell it which branch to check out. I can hard... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cows
2 Replies
TMPWATCH(8)						   System Administrator's Manual					       TMPWATCH(8)

NAME
tmpwatch - removes files which haven't been accessed for a period of time SYNOPSIS
tmpwatch [-u|-m|-c] [-faqstv] [--verbose] [--force] [--all] [--test] [--fuser ] [--atime|--mtime|--ctime] [--quiet] <hours> <dirs> DESCRIPTION
tmpwatch recursively removes files which haven't been accessed for a given number of hours. Normally, it's used to clean up directories which are used for temporary holding space such as /tmp. When changing directories, tmpwatch is very sensitive to possible race conditions and will exit with an error if one is detected. It does not follow symbolic links in the directories it's cleaning (even if a symbolic link is given as its argument), will not switch filesystems, and only removes empty directories and regular files. By default, tmpwatch dates files by their atime (access time), not their mtime (modification time). If files aren't being removed when ls -l implies they should be, use ls -u to examine their atime to see if that explains the problem. If the --atime, --ctime or --mtime options are used in combination, the decision about deleting a file will be based on the maximum of this times. The hours parameter defines the threshold for removing files. If the file has not been accessed for hours hours, the file is removed. Fol- lowing this, one or more directories may be given for tmpwatch to clean up. OPTIONS
-u, --atime Make the decision about deleting a file based on the file's atime (access time). This is the default. -m, --mtime Make the decision about deleting a file based on the file's mtime (modification time) instead of the atime. -c, --ctime Make the decision about deleting a file based on the file's ctime (inode change time) instead of the atime; for directories, make the decision based on the mtime. -a, --all Remove all file types, not just regular files and directories. -d, --nodirs Do not attempt to remove directories, even if they are empty. -f, --force Remove files even if root doesn't have write access (akin to rm -f). -t, --test Doesn't remove files, but goes through the motions of removing them. This implies -v. -s, --fuser Attempt to use the "fuser" command to see if a file is already open before removing it. Not enabled by default. Does help in some circumstances, but not all. Dependent on fuser being installed in /sbin. -v, --verbose Print a verbose display. Two levels of verboseness are available -- use this option twice to get the most verbose output. SEE ALSO
cron(1), ls(1), rm(1), fuser(1) WARNINGS
GNU-style long options are not supported on HP-UX. AUTHORS
Erik Troan <ewt@redhat.com> Preston Brown <pbrown@redhat.com> Nalin Dahyabhai <nalin@redhat.com> 4th Berkeley Distribution Wed Nov 28 2001 TMPWATCH(8)