Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Definition of a regular file
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Definition of a regular file Post 44415 by linuxpenguin on Friday 5th of December 2003 01:43:59 PM
Old 12-05-2003
to be very precise

when you do a ls -l if the first column of the file permissions is a -, then that file is a regular file.
I dont really think that it should be a text or data file, it can be a binary file as well, or for that matter any other file, just the the first column of ls -l should be - Smilie

correct me if i m wrong

for eg
-rw-rw-r-- 1 username group 141 Nov 21 14:08 log

here the first column of -rw-rw-r-- is a -, it means it is a regular file.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Printer definition file on HP

Hello, I'm looking for the definition file for printers on HP. Can I implement printers.conf like on SUN ? Thanks for your help:( (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: annececile
4 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

File system definition

I really don't understand why we use many filesystems in one UNIX server and we mount them. In fact i don't really understand the signification of a file system. :( Thank you for help (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: fahmoun
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Shadow file definition

Hi Could someone Pls let me know how to define a shadow file, i.e what do each of the following stand for: root:SedGsw.WadR:13200:7:30:5:30:: What would the column headings be? Thnaks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: narik007
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

daemons definition

hi there, can somebody give me a definition for daemons, or example what are they !! and what the use for? i've done some research and all what i found is /etc/... or /usr/bin/... and i haven't quietly got the concept. any ideas !! Thanks. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2Linux
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Definition of $-

Could someone please direct me to a link that gives the definitions for each of the letters from the results of the $- environment variable? It would be nice to know what shell options each of the letters represents, but I am specifically looking for the shell option for 'c' (lowercase c). Thank... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: sszd
12 Replies

6. Programming

Perl: How to read from a file, do regular expression and then replace the found regular expression

Hi all, How am I read a file, find the match regular expression and overwrite to the same files. open DESTINATION_FILE, "<tmptravl.dat" or die "tmptravl.dat"; open NEW_DESTINATION_FILE, ">new_tmptravl.dat" or die "new_tmptravl.dat"; while (<DESTINATION_FILE>) { # print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jessy83
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[solved] File type error (not a regular file)

Hi friend, i have written script as below to check the file existance. but i got error path="/k/p1100/users/jewel/Output" FILENAME=`ls -lrt $path/*HT|tail -1|cut -d "/" -f 8` if ; then echo "$FILENAME is available " chmod 755 $path/$FILENAME /usr/bin/scp... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jewel
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create a control file from Table definition

Hi Team, I need to create a control file with a pre-defined structure for a given table name. The table is in teradata. Ex: Table Name: TBL1 Table structure: create multiset table tbl1, no fallback, no before journal, no after journal, checksum = default, default mergeblockratio... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: unankix
7 Replies

9. Programming

Get struct definition

I have many headers with huge amount of structures in them, typical one looks like this: $ cat a.h struct Rec1 { int f1; int f2; }; struct Rec2 { char r1; char r2; }; struct Rec3 { int f1; float k1; float ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: migurus
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare the source definition file with data file

Hi How to compare the source definition file in unix with the data file . Please can you share me example if some one has done it before (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raj4fusion
3 Replies
REGEX(3)						     Library Functions Manual							  REGEX(3)

NAME
re_comp, re_exec - regular expression handler SYNOPSIS
char *re_comp(s) char *s; re_exec(s) char *s; DESCRIPTION
Re_comp compiles a string into an internal form suitable for pattern matching. Re_exec checks the argument string against the last string passed to re_comp. Re_comp returns 0 if the string s was compiled successfully; otherwise a string containing an error message is returned. If re_comp is passed 0 or a null string, it returns without changing the currently compiled regular expression. Re_exec returns 1 if the string s matches the last compiled regular expression, 0 if the string s failed to match the last compiled regular expression, and -1 if the compiled regular expression was invalid (indicating an internal error). The strings passed to both re_comp and re_exec may have trailing or embedded newline characters; they are terminated by nulls. The regular expressions recognized are described in the manual entry for ed(1), given the above difference. SEE ALSO
ed(1), ex(1), egrep(1), fgrep(1), grep(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Re_exec returns -1 for an internal error. Re_comp returns one of the following strings if an error occurs: No previous regular expression, Regular expression too long, unmatched (, missing ], too many () pairs, unmatched ). 3rd Berkeley Distribution May 15, 1985 REGEX(3)