Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: IP Range Assigning
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions IP Range Assigning Post 302974577 by TryllZ on Wednesday 1st of June 2016 03:34:02 AM
Old 06-01-2016
Just wanted to understand this, is it safe to say that the second subnet starts after the broadcast address:

192.168.0.0 /22
192.168.0.0 – 192.168.(3).255(Broadcast address)
192.168.(4).0 – 192.168.(7).255(Broadcast address), then next subnet
192.168.(8).0 – 192.168.(11).255(Broadcast address), then next subnet
192.168.(12).0 – 192.168.(15).255(Broadcast address)
And so on...

Similarly for the below IP:

IP Address – 172.59.0.0
Custom Subnet Mask – 255.255.252.0
Broadcast Address – 172.59.3.255

172.59.0.0 - 172.59.3.255
172.59.4.0 - 172.59.7.255
172.59.8.0 - 172.59.11.255
172.59.12.0 - 172.59.15.255
And so on....

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

assigning variables

Before I even attempt this, is it possible to grep for a pattern, maybe a partial sentence like "go to page 3", assign that to a variable and then use awk or something to pull out the 3 and assign it to a variable? So first I would have Gotopg = "go to page 3" then page = 3 (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: k@ssidy
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning Value of variable

Hi In my shell script, I'm trying to find the line count of a file and assign it to a variable. LINE_COUNT=$(wc -l $FILE_NAME) But when i display LINE_COUNT, i'm getting the linecount concatenated with the file name. I want only the number. How can i get the line count alone ? Someone... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: janemary.a
2 Replies

3. HP-UX

Assigning IP's

hi all, i want to know where i can add and IP address so when i do a "w", i can see what IP is assigned to which tty? i know in tru64 you just added an entry to /etc/hosts. this does not seem to be the case with hpux. thanks (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: macgre_r
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

assigning a variable

hi all, in ksh, how do i assign the output of a find command to a variable, e.g am trying something like this : totalNoFiles=$(print find ./ -name "SystemOut*.log"); but when i echo $totalNoFiles it displays find ./ -name "SystemOut*.log" instead of the total number of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cesarNZ
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning value to a variable

can we make a global variable and store character values and add other values to that variable ?? for example a="hello, John" and can we add value ". How are you? so a can have "hello, John. How are you?" can someone help me?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bonosungho
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

print range between two patterns if it contains a pattern within the range

I want to print between the range two patterns if a particular pattern is present in between the two patterns. I am new to Unix. Any help would be greatly appreciated. e.g. Pattern1 Bombay Calcutta Delhi Pattern2 Pattern1 Patna Madras Gwalior Delhi Pattern2 Pattern1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: joyan321
2 Replies

7. AIX

assigning ip to second nic

Hi admins i want to assign new ip adress to my aix 5.3 machine which is in LPAR ent3 Available Virtual I/O Ethernet Adapter (l-lan) ent0 Available 05-08 2-Port 10/100/1000 Base-TX PCI-X Adapter (14108902) ent1 Available 05-09 2-Port 10/100/1000 Base-TX PCI-X Adapter (14108902) ent2... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: newaix
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning value to a variable

Unable to get the value to a variable. set -x cd $HOME echo "Enter the server name" read a echo $a i=4 j=1 k = ps -ef | awk '/server1/{ print $4 }' | tail -$i | head -$j` echo $k When I do the same in command line it works, however the same does not work when I provide that in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: venkidhadha
1 Replies

9. IP Networking

IP Range Assigning

Hi All, I'm a bit confused about assigning IP address from IP Ranges. I am using this scenario below to understand. Scenario Adatum.com an international IT solutions company, is launching 12 new branches in a new country where they currently have no existing branches. The sWin CIO has asked... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TryllZ
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping a timestamp range and assigning it to a constant

Hi, I couldn't find any thing on google about it and have been trying to figure this out but am not getting anywhere. I want to know if its possible through a script. I have a file with columns start time and end time separated by a comma, basically there are some other columns which I need to... (30 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsid
30 Replies
PFSYNC(4)						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						 PFSYNC(4)

NAME
pfsync -- packet filter state table logging interface SYNOPSIS
pseudo-device pfsync DESCRIPTION
The pfsync interface is a pseudo-device which exposes certain changes to the state table used by pf(4). State changes can be viewed by invoking tcpdump(8) on the pfsync interface. If configured with a physical synchronisation interface, pfsync will also send state changes out on that interface using IP multicast, and insert state changes received on that interface from other systems into the state table. By default, all local changes to the state table are exposed via pfsync. However, state changes from packets received by pfsync over the network are not rebroadcast. States created by a rule marked with the no-sync keyword are omitted from the pfsync interface (see pf.conf(5) for details). The pfsync interface will attempt to collapse multiple updates of the same state into one message where possible. The maximum number of times this can be done before the update is sent out is controlled by the maxupd parameter to ifconfig (see ifconfig(8) and the example below for more details). Each packet retrieved on this interface has a header associated with it of length PFSYNC_HDRLEN. The header indicates the version of the protocol, address family, action taken on the following states, and the number of state table entries attached in this packet. This struc- ture is defined in <net/if_pfsync.h> as: struct pfsync_header { u_int8_t version; u_int8_t af; u_int8_t action; u_int8_t count; }; NETWORK SYNCHRONISATION
States can be synchronised between two or more firewalls using this interface, by specifying a synchronisation interface using ifconfig(8). For example, the following command sets fxp0 as the synchronisation interface: # ifconfig pfsync0 syncdev fxp0 By default, state change messages are sent out on the synchronisation interface using IP multicast packets. The protocol is IP protocol 240, PFSYNC, and the multicast group used is 224.0.0.240. When a peer address is specified using the syncpeer keyword, the peer address is used as a destination for the pfsync traffic. It is important that the pfsync traffic be well secured as there is no authentication on the protocol and it would be trivial to spoof pack- ets which create states, bypassing the pf ruleset. Either run the pfsync protocol on a trusted network - ideally a network dedicated to pfsync messages such as a crossover cable between two firewalls, or specify a peer address and protect the traffic with ipsec(4) (it is not supported at the moment on NetBSD due to the lack of any encapsulation pseudo-device). There is a one-to-one correspondence between packets seen by bpf(4) on the pfsync interface, and packets sent out on the synchronisation interface, i.e. a packet with 4 state deletion messages on pfsync means that the same 4 deletions were sent out on the synchronisation inter- face. However, the actual packet contents may differ as the messages sent over the network are "compressed" where possible, containing only the necessary information. EXAMPLES
pfsync and carp(4) can be used together to provide automatic failover of a pair of firewalls configured in parallel. One firewall handles all traffic - if it dies or is shut down, the second firewall takes over automatically. Both firewalls in this example have three sis(4) interfaces. sis0 is the external interface, on the 10.0.0.0/24 subnet; sis1 is the internal interface, on the 192.168.0.0/24 subnet; and sis2 is the pfsync interface, using the 192.168.254.0/24 subnet. A crossover cable connects the two firewalls via their sis2 interfaces. On all three interfaces, firewall A uses the .254 address, while firewall B uses .253. The inter- faces are configured as follows (firewall A unless otherwise indicated): /etc/ifconfig.sis0: inet 10.0.0.254 255.255.255.0 NONE /etc/ifconfig.sis1: inet 192.168.0.254 255.255.255.0 NONE /etc/ifconfig.sis2: inet 192.168.254.254 255.255.255.0 NONE /etc/ifconfig.carp0: inet 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.0 10.0.0.255 vhid 1 pass foo /etc/ifconfig.carp1: inet 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.255 vhid 2 pass bar /etc/ifconfig.pfsync0: up syncdev sis2 pf(4) must also be configured to allow pfsync and carp(4) traffic through. The following should be added to the top of /etc/pf.conf: pass quick on { sis2 } proto pfsync pass on { sis0 sis1 } proto carp If it is preferable that one firewall handle the traffic, the advskew on the backup firewall's carp(4) interfaces should be set to something higher than the primary's. For example, if firewall B is the backup, its /etc/ifconfig.carp1 would look like this: inet 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.255 vhid 2 pass bar advskew 100 The following must also be added to /etc/sysctl.conf: net.inet.carp.preempt=1 SEE ALSO
bpf(4), carp(4), inet(4), inet6(4), ipsec(4), netintro(4), pf(4), ifconfig.if(5), pf.conf(5), protocols(5), ifconfig(8), tcpdump(8) HISTORY
The pfsync device first appeared in OpenBSD 3.3. CAVEATS
pfsync is not available when using pf(4) as a kernel module. BSD
April 12, 2010 BSD