Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers [sendmail] One Spam Per Day.. Post 302937785 by davidm123SED on Monday 9th of March 2015 11:46:10 AM
Old 03-09-2015
[sendmail] One Spam Per Day..

Hi,
I have sendmail 8.14.4 on a CentOS 6.6-RELEASE virtual machine. This box is primary MX for our domain, and everything is swell.

Every single day, one spam gets through. This spam has the 'From' address '<>', and my google search reveals that blocking the null sender is not a good idea.

In my sendmail.mc, I have:

dnl FEATURE(`enhdnsbl',`sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org',`"Message from "$&{client_addr}" rejected - see: http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl"

But this blocks e-mail from two of our clients.

One spam per day isn't that bad, but it's frustrating that I can't stop it. The IP is different every day. The e-mail always comes from 'david[randomcharacters]@something.com, so I can't block 'david,' because that will stop legitimate e-mails.

I think that this is a job for procmail, but reading the recipes, they look like they were written in postgrad maths.

Can someone help?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Write a shell script to find whether the first day of the month is a working day

Hi , I am relatively new to unix... Can u pls help me out to find out if the first day of the month is a working day ie from (Monday to Friday)...using Date and If clause in Korn shell.. This is very urgent. Thanks for ur help... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: phani
7 Replies

2. Solaris

(anti spam )Sendmail v8.11.6 on sun solaris 8

hay i have a problem in sendmail i have many spam and i can't stop it i was read some ruls and i add it in sendmail config file but nothing happend i recived about 300 spam mail daily in users mail .... can any one help me .... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: monn99
4 Replies

3. Solaris

/var size is increasing day by day

Hi experts, I am facing a big problem. i use solaris 9. i found size of /var is increasing day by. snapshot of a yester moring- /dev/vx/dsk/var 15G 14G 1.1G 94% /var snapshot of a yesterday everning- /dev/vx/dsk/var 15G 14G 824M 95% /var I am... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: thepurple
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to find previous month last day minus one day timestamp

Hi All, I need to find the previous month last day minus one day, using shell script. Can you guys help me to do this. My Requirment is as below: Input for me will be 2000909(YYYYMM) I need the previous months last day minus 1 day timestamp. That is i need 2000908 months last day minus ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish.raos
3 Replies

5. Solaris

May i know the day to day activities of a Solaris system administrator?

Recently i have attended a telephonic interview. As i dont have work experience in solaris i was not able to deliver correct answer for this question. Your answer will help for the people like me who is looking to become Solaris System administrator. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sesha
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Code creates day 32 instead of 1st day of next month.

I am using the code below modified from a post I saw here regarding having the script write out future dates. The problem is that instead of making 8/1 it makes 7/32! Please help! yy=`date +%Y` mm=`date +%m` dd=`date +%d` echo "Today is : $yy $mm $dd" #!/usr/bin/ksh date '+%m... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: libertyforall
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to check if last modified day is previous day

Hi, I would like to write a script that checks if a file ('counter') was modified the previous day, if so erase its contents and write 00000000 into it. For e.g. if the file 'counter' was last modified at 11.30pm on 24th May and the script runs at 12.15am of 25th May, it should erase it's... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hegdepras
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Move the files between Current day & a previous day

Hi All, I have a requirement where I need to first capture the current day & move all the files from a particular directory based on a previous day. i.e move all the files from one directory to another based on current day & a previous day. Here is what I am trying, but it gives me errors.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsfreddie
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Julian day to dates in YEAR-MONTH-DAY

hello, I have many files called day001, day002, day003 and I want to rename them by day20070101, day20070102, etc. I need to do it for several years and leap years as well. What is the best way to do it ? Thank you. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ggg
1 Replies
domainname(1M)						  System Administration Commands					    domainname(1M)

NAME
domainname - set or display name of the current domain SYNOPSIS
domainname [name-of-domain] DESCRIPTION
Without an argument, domainname displays the name of the current domain name used in RPC exchanges, usually referred to as the NIS or NIS+ domain name. This name typically encompasses a group of hosts or passwd entries under the same administration. The domainname command is used by various components of Solaris to resolve names for entries such as are found in passwd, hosts and aliases. By default, naming ser- vices such as NIS and NIS+ use domainname to resolve names. With appropriate privileges (root or an equivalent role [see rbac(5)]), you can set the name of the domain by specifying the name as an argument to the domainname command. The domain name for various naming services can also be set by other means. For example, ypinit can be used to specify a different domain for all NIS calls. The domain name of the machine is usually set during boot time through the domainname command by the svc:/system/iden- tity:domain service. If the new domain name is not saved in the /etc/defaultdomain file, the machine reverts to the old domain after it reboots. The sendmail(1M) daemon, as shipped with Solaris, and the sendmail implementation provided by sendmail.org (formerly referred to as "Berke- ley 8.x sendmail") both attempt to determine a local host's fully qualified host name at startup and both pursue follow-up actions if the initial search fails. It is in these follow-up actions that the two implementations differ. Both implementations use a standard Solaris or Unix system call to determine its fully qualified host name at startup, following the name service priorities specified in nsswitch.conf(4). To this point, the Solaris and sendmail.org versions behave identically. If the request for a fully qualified host name fails, the sendmail.org sendmail sleeps for 60 seconds, tries again, and, upon continuing failure, resorts to a short name. The Solaris version of sendmail makes the same initial request, but then, following initial failure, calls domainname. If successful, the sleep is avoided. On a Solaris machine, if you run the sendmail.org version of sendmail, you get the startup behavior (omitting the domainname call) described above. If you run the Solaris sendmail, the domainname call is made if needed. If the Solaris sendmail cannot determine the fully qualified host name, use check-hostname(1M) as a troubleshooting aid. This script can offer guidance as to appropriate corrective action. FILES
/etc/defaultdomain /etc/nsswitch.conf ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
NIS+(1), nischown(1), nispasswd(1), svcs(1), check-hostname(1M), hostconfig(1M), named(1M), nisaddcred(1M), sendmail(1M), svcadm(1M), ypinit(1M), sys-unconfig(1M), aliases(4), defaultdomain(4), hosts(4), nsswitch.conf(4), passwd(4), attributes(5), rbac(5), smf(5) NOTES
The domainname service is managed by the service management facility, smf(5), under the service identifier: svc:/system/identity:domain Administrative actions on this service, such as enabling, disabling, or requesting restart, can be performed using svcadm(1M). The ser- vice's status can be queried using the svcs(1) command. SunOS 5.11 8 Mar 2006 domainname(1M)