Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Kill all process of Oracle user Post 302845303 by rbatte1 on Wednesday 21st of August 2013 08:39:09 AM
Old 08-21-2013
Do you want to terminate the oracle instance or an oracle user session? If it's the latter, then I would avoid killing an OS process if you can. Smilie

As a DBA capable account, have a look at the 'table' v$session. It lists various columns. If you can identify the one to clear out, you need to execute:-
Code:
alter system kill session ('sid,serial#') ;

Insert the appropriate values for sid and serial# from the v$session table. if that doesn't do the trick, then you may need to look at the start time to confirm the OS process id and terminate that will a kill -9

If you really want to terminate an oracle instance then (depending on version) you would be better to connect with either
  • svrmgrl then connect internal or
  • sqlplus then / as sysdba when prompted for the user-name.
In each case, you can issue the shutdown command. This allows for options such as immediate (signal all processes to stop & roll-back) and abort (crash instance, roll-back will be at next startup)

I hope that this helps,
Robin
Liverpool/Blackburn
UK

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

When kill doesnt work, how to kill a process ?

Hi All, I am unable to kill a process using kill command. I am using HP-UX system. I have tried with kill -9 and i have root privilages. How can i terminate this daemon ? ? ? Regards, Vijay Hegde (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: VijayHegde
3 Replies

2. Linux

Kill a process without using kill command

I want to Kill a process without using kill command as i don't have privileges to kill the process. I know the pid and i am using Linux 2.6.9 OS. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudhamacs
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to kill a process initiated by other user at the same group

Hey I'm writing a script that creates some processes,and some scripts which kill those processes. the question is Simply: How can I allow a group members to be able to kill (using kill command) processes created by other user at the same group? and i need the change to be at the script... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: The Dark Knight
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

crontab or looping script to Kill process from user

I am looking for a way to kill 2 processes from a user through some kind of script. Using an oracle script, I get two process ids that need to be killed. SQL> select ssn.process as client_process_id, pcs.spid as oracle_process_id, ssn.sid, ssn.serial# 2 from v$session ssn inner join... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meert
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to kill all the netscape process of a particular user?

how to kill all the "netsacpe" processes of a particular user? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karthi_g
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill Process not owned by other user

Hi Here is my problem: 1)I am login to unix server through my login id and do SU - xxx 2) Start the script which is running in background I want that other user which login to there id and do SU - yyy(Different user) kill that script. Could you please help me in this. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_harish80
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

kill process owned by another user

How can I kill a process owned by user1? I will be using another user (user2) (not root) and we are on the same primary and secondary group. I copied everything including it's .profile and set the path accordingly. user1@hostnmae0:/home/user1 $ pkill java pkill: Failed to signal pid 1234:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Oracle process running as user daemon

Hi, When process listing, I came across a process running as user daemon. daemon 23576 23574 0 07:32:04 ? 0:07 oracle (DESCRIPTION=(LOCAL=YES)(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=beq))) root 27526 27444 1 07:38:43 ttyp5 0:00 grep 23574 why a process runs as user daemon, when it should be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wilsonee
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill an specific process ID using the KILL and GREP commands

Good afternoon I need to KILL a process in a single command sentence, for example: kill -9 `ps -aef | grep 'CAL255.4ge' | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}'` That sentence Kills the process ID corresponding to the program CAL255.4ge. However it is possible that the same program... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: enriquegm82
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Solaris, grant user to kill another process

the task is grant user1 to kill another (for example user2) process. My steps: by root: usermod -P "Process Management" user1 login user1 user1@server (~) pfexec kill <PID> the result is: ksh: <PID>: not found or user1@server (~) pfexec pkill <PID> the result: nothing happens, still... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsyberia
0 Replies
USER-SESSION-KEYRING(7) 				     Linux Programmer's Manual					   USER-SESSION-KEYRING(7)

NAME
user-session-keyring - per-user default session keyring DESCRIPTION
The user session keyring is a keyring used to anchor keys on behalf of a user. Each UID the kernel deals with has its own user session keyring that is shared by all processes with that UID. The user session keyring has a name (description) of the form _uid_ses.<UID> where <UID> is the user ID of the corresponding user. The user session keyring is associated with the record that the kernel maintains for the UID. It comes into existence upon the first attempt to access either the user session keyring, the user-keyring(7), or the session-keyring(7). The keyring remains pinned in existence so long as there are processes running with that real UID or files opened by those processes remain open. (The keyring can also be pinned indefinitely by linking it into another keyring.) The user session keyring is created on demand when a thread requests it or when a thread asks for its session-keyring(7) and that keyring doesn't exist. In the latter case, a user session keyring will be created and, if the session keyring wasn't to be created, the user ses- sion keyring will be set as the process's actual session keyring. The user session keyring is searched by request_key(2) if the actual session keyring does not exist and is ignored otherwise. A special serial number value, KEY_SPEC_USER_SESSION_KEYRING, is defined that can be used in lieu of the actual serial number of the call- ing process's user session keyring. From the keyctl(1) utility, '@us' can be used instead of a numeric key ID in much the same way. User session keyrings are independent of clone(2), fork(2), vfork(2), execve(2), and _exit(2) excepting that the keyring is destroyed when the UID record is destroyed when the last process pinning it exits. If a user session keyring does not exist when it is accessed, it will be created. Rather than relying on the user session keyring, it is strongly recommended--especially if the process is running as root--that a session- keyring(7) be set explicitly, for example by pam_keyinit(8). NOTES
The user session keyring was added to support situations where a process doesn't have a session keyring, perhaps because it was created via a pathway that didn't involve PAM (e.g., perhaps it was a daemon started by inetd(8)). In such a scenario, the user session keyring acts as a substitute for the session-keyring(7). SEE ALSO
keyctl(1), keyctl(3), keyrings(7), persistent-keyring(7), process-keyring(7), session-keyring(7), thread-keyring(7), user-keyring(7) Linux 2017-03-13 USER-SESSION-KEYRING(7)