Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: insert comma
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers insert comma Post 302698047 by lawsongeek on Friday 7th of September 2012 10:25:47 PM
Old 09-07-2012
5016487 RS Issued 08/22/12 7621 MOLECULAR DEVICES INC 4500.00 USD 1 NAI
5016488 RS Issued 08/23/12 7621 MOLECULAR DEVICES INC 2000.00 USD 1 NAI
5016490 RS Issued 09/04/12 22050 WUXI APPTEC, INC 3700.00 USD 1 NAI

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert comma based on max number of column

Hi, I am new to unix shell shell scripting. I have a specific requirement where I need to append comma's based on the max number of column in the file. Eg: If my source file look something like this, sengwa,china tom,america,northamerica smith,america walter My output file... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nicholas_ejn
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pull Data After Comma if 2 word before comma

Hi, I am trying to truncate word after comma in a file ONLY if there are already 2 words BEFORE comma. If there is one word or 3 or more words BEFORE comma, then I have to leave the data AS IS. See below for example. Input File : John Smith, Manager Smith, John Frank J F K... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: msalam65
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

insert comma in a text file

Hi all, I have a text file and I need to insert comma after every 2 digit. -1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1 0 0 0 -1-1-1 2 0 0 3 311-1 0 1 -1-1 021 0 011-1-1 033 0I'd like to have this: -1,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1,-1, 0, 0, 0 -1,-1,-1, 2, 0, 0, 3, 3,11,-1, 0, 1 -1,-1, 0,21, 0, 0,11,-1,-1, 0,33, 0Thanks for... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: GoldenFire
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script using Sed :Search all patterns & after the last Patter, insert a newLine with Comma Sep Value

I am trying to search the pattern "ARS (11)" and after the LAST pattern, i am trying to open new line and enter text using sed. My Existing Text file is Users.txtpaul, Paul Smith, Stevn Smiley, REQ000001, ARS (11) sam, Sam Martin, Stevn Smiley, REQ000001, ARS (11) mike, Mike Conway, Stevn... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: evrurs
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert comma in place of column

Hi all, I have a file in which I have to insert commna between entries of 2 column and createa new file separated by commas not a columns if input is FHIT Adenosine Monotungstate Not Available CS Trifluoroacetonyl Coenzyme A Not Available Theo expected output is ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: manigrover
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help - comma inside double quote in comma separated csv,

Hello there, I have a comma separated csv , and all the text field is wrapped by double quote. Issue is some text field contain comma as well inside double quote. so it is difficult to process. Input in the csv file is , 1,234,"abc,12,gh","GH234TY",34 I need output like below,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Uttam Maji
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert data between comma delimiters-large file

Having a huge file in the following format. 2,3,1,,,4 1,2,3,,,,,5, 8,7,3,4,,,, Output needed is: 2,3,1,0.0,0.0,4 1,2,3,0.0,0.0,0.0,0.0,5, 8,7,3,4,0.0,0.0,0.0, I have tried reading the file each line, using AWK to parse to find out ",," and then insert 0.0 . It works but very slow. Need... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: wincrazy
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert single quote on every word separated by comma

Hello, I have a text file as:-ABC BCD CDF DEF EFGI need to convert as 'ABC', 'BCD', 'CDF', 'DEF', 'EFG' using a unix command anybody can help me out on this. Regards, Jas Please wrap all code, files, input & output/errors in CODE tags. It makes them easier to read and preserves... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jassi10781
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert a new column with sequence number (Delimiter as comma)

Hi All, I have a file which has data like a,b c,d e,f g,h And I need to insert a new column at the begining with sequence no( 1 to n) 1,a,b 2,c,d 3,e,f 4,g,h Please let me know how to acheive this in unix (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: weknowd
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to parse comma separated field and removing comma in between number and double quotes

Hi Experts, Please support I have below data in file in comma seperated, but 4th column is containing comma in between numbers, bcz of which when i tried to parse the file the column 6th value(5049641141) is being removed from the file and value(222.82) in column 5 becoming value of column6. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: as7951
3 Replies
EX(1)							      General Commands Manual							     EX(1)

NAME
ex, edit - text editor SYNOPSIS
ex [ - ] [ -v ] [ -t tag ] [ -r ] [ +command ] [ -l ] name ... edit [ ex options ] DESCRIPTION
Ex is the root of a family of editors: edit, ex and vi. Ex is a superset of ed, with the most notable extension being a display editing facility. Display based editing is the focus of vi. If you have not used ed, or are a casual user, you will find that the editor edit is convenient for you. It avoids some of the complexi- ties of ex used mostly by systems programmers and persons very familiar with ed. If you have a CRT terminal, you may wish to use a display based editor; in this case see vi(1), which is a command which focuses on the display editing portion of ex. DOCUMENTATION
The document Edit: A tutorial (USD:14) provides a comprehensive introduction to edit assuming no previous knowledge of computers or the UNIX system. The Ex Reference Manual - Version 3.7 (USD:16) is a comprehensive and complete manual for the command mode features of ex, but you cannot learn to use the editor by reading it. For an introduction to more advanced forms of editing using the command mode of ex see the editing documents written by Brian Kernighan for the editor ed; the material in the introductory and advanced documents works also with ex. An Introduction to Display Editing with Vi (USD:15) introduces the display editor vi and provides reference material on vi. In addition, the Vi Quick Reference card summarizes the commands of vi in a useful, functional way, and is useful with the Introduction. FILES
/usr/share/misc/exstrings error messages /usr/libexec/exrecover recover command /usr/sbin/expreserve preserve command /etc/termcap describes capabilities of terminals ~/.exrc editor startup file /tmp/Exnnnnn editor temporary /tmp/Rxnnnnn named buffer temporary /usr/preserve preservation directory SEE ALSO
awk(1), ed(1), grep(1), sed(1), grep(1), vi(1), termcap(5), environ(7) AUTHOR
Originally written by William Joy Mark Horton has maintained the editor since version 2.7, adding macros, support for many unusual terminals, and other features such as word abbreviation mode. BUGS
The undo command causes all marks to be lost on lines changed and then restored if the marked lines were changed. Undo never clears the buffer modified condition. The z command prints a number of logical rather than physical lines. More than a screen full of output may result if long lines are present. File input/output errors don't print a name if the command line `-' option is used. There is no easy way to do a single scan ignoring case. The editor does not warn if text is placed in named buffers and not used before exiting the editor. Null characters are discarded in input files, and cannot appear in resultant files. 4th Berkeley Distribution October 21, 1996 EX(1)