Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting egrep -i "(from|to)=<$1>" mail.log ? Post 302640757 by Scrutinizer on Tuesday 15th of May 2012 09:44:49 AM
Old 05-15-2012
\1 is a back reference (just like $1 is in perl), it is a reference to a previous expression between parentheses:

Code:
$ echo blagdfgdblb | grep -E '(bl.).*\1'
$ echo blagdfgdbla | grep -E '(bl.).*\1'
blagdfgdbla

The matched part in the parentheses is "bla" and so \1 becomes "bla", so the string to match becomes: bla.*bla. There is no match with the first string, but there is with the second string...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

search ")" with egrep - egrep: syntax error

Hi Guys, we have a shell script which basically query the Database which retrieves huge data and use the data with "egrep" . Now there is some data which contains characters like "abc)" and the same is used like below : "egrep (.+\|GDPRAB16\|GDPR/11702 96 abc)\|$ temp.txt" now while... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagarjani
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to use the "grep/egrep" command to search files.

Hi Team, I am new to this forum and also trying to learn Unix. I will highly appriciate your help if you can help me to get the right command . {{{ I use the command " today | egrep '(10:| 11: )' | grep ERROR " to grep all the files that has been error betweeen 10 to 11... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkhanal
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

4. AIX

echo $varibla | mail -s "subject" "xxx@xxx.com" not ruuning as expected

Hi Folks, As per the subject, the following command is not working as expected. echo $variable | mail -s "subject" "xxx@xxx.com" Could anyone figure it out whats wrong with this. I am using AIX box. Regards, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gjarms
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escaping backslash and asterisk in egrep to match "\*"

So far what i've got is egrep '^(\\)\*$'No luck. I've searched the web and not much luck. I know about the escape character \ but its confusing to figure out how to use it to match a backslash and use it to escape the asterisk also. Any ides? Thanks! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: matthewfs
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Egrep confusion with "I" and "-I" pattern

I am executing following command egrep -w I filename.txt the filename.txt has following data .... -I 07-18 08:31:19.924 9880 6 SessionManager ConnectConfig: ConfigurationWebService LoginResults=SuccessfulLogin I am so hungry that I need to eat I expect egrep to print only the second... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: VBG
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find a file which are not ends with ".zip" and which are ends with "*.log*" or "*.out*"?

I am new to bash/shell scripting. I want to find all the files in directory and subdirectories, which are not ends with “.zip” and which are contains in the file name “*.log*” or “*.out*”. I know below command to get the files which ends with “.log”; but I need which are not ends with this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mallikgm
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete all log files older than 10 day and whose first string of the first line is "MSH" or "<?xml"

Dear Ladies & Gents, I have a requirement to delete all the log files in /var/log/test directory that are older than 10 days and their first line begin with "MSH" or "<?xml" or "FHS". I've put together the following BASH script, but it's erroring out: for filename in $(find /var/log/test... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hiroshi
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
SHAR(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   SHAR(1)

NAME
shar -- create a shell archive of files SYNOPSIS
shar file ... DESCRIPTION
shar writes an sh(1) shell script to the standard output which will recreate the file hierarchy specified by the command line operands. Directories will be recreated and must be specified before the files they contain (the find(1) utility does this correctly). shar is normally used for distributing files by ftp(1) or mail(1). SEE ALSO
compress(1), mail(1), uuencode(1), tar(1) BUGS
shar makes no provisions for special types of files or files containing magic characters. EXAMPLES
To create a shell archive of the program ls(1) and mail it to Rick: cd ls shar `find . -print` | mail -s "ls source" rick To recreate the program directory: mkdir ls cd ls ... <delete header lines and examine mailed archive> ... sh archive HISTORY
The shar command appears in 4.4BSD. SECURITY CONSIDERATIONS
It is easy to insert trojan horses into shar files. It is strongly recommended that all shell archive files be examined before running them through sh(1). Archives produced using this implementation of shar may be easily examined with the command: egrep -v '^[X#]' shar.file 4.4BSD June 6, 1993 4.4BSD