Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: DISK SPACE in UNIX
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting DISK SPACE in UNIX Post 302635691 by balajesuri on Saturday 5th of May 2012 09:49:07 PM
Old 05-05-2012
A primitive script. This will check if total disk space used is >= 90% once in every 10s and if so, an email will be sent. It'll run in an infinite loop until you kill it.

Code:
#! /bin/bash

while [ 1 ]
do
    total=$(df -k --total | awk 'END{sub (/%$/,"",$5); print $5}')
    if [ $total -ge 90 ]
        echo "Message" | mailx -s "Alert Subject" user@email.com
    fi
    sleep 10
done

This User Gave Thanks to balajesuri For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

available disk space on disk device???

Hello, Can someone please tell me which command to use to determine the available disk space on a given disk device? I have to write a shell script that compresses files and stores them in a specific location but I am not sure how "conservative" I should be? Thanks in advance! Al. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alan
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Disk space?

I'm a Unix newbie running Solaris 9. After installing a fresh copy on a 40GB drive I noticed the available disk space is 2% free or approximately 200MB available. Is that possible? Did I do something wrong? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbarbuto
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

SCO Unix - Disk Space

Hi, I am using SCO Unix 3.12 and Informix database. When we tried to use "du -a" command to check disk space, it showed: 342122 ./usr 30092 ./etc 6244 ./dev 4778 ./bin 2674 ./tcb 1234 ./lost+found 698 ./lib 532 ./shlib 46 ./tmp 6 ./messages 4 ./opt 4 ./var 2 ./mnt 2 ./install... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trinhnguyen
1 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

disk space

Hi experts i am new in unix and informix and would like to ask 2 questions 1) my server shows when using df -k fs 1024-block used available /usr 10079072 3668670 6381144 does this mean i have 10GB, and used up 3.7GB and available 6.3GB ??? is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingsto88
3 Replies

5. HP-UX

Disk Space

Hi Experts. I had 100% disk full , even though i have removed 2 GB space still dbf command shows 100%. How to rectify that. Appreciate your prompt help. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: test10002
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Disk space details from Unix to Outlook

Hi Friends, I am using sun Solaris . I want to find the disk space (df -k) for the Unix box and the data has to be sent to an email id. Can u please find me a code that checks the disk space 6 times a day, loads the data into an excel sheet and sends to an email id. Can u also tell me how to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sridharnr
2 Replies

7. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Disk space and RAM status in UNIX

I have an application which is running under AIX, HP UNIX, SCO, and LINUX(redhat and SuSE). and its dealing with some bulk amount of file handling, and some of my boxes are not very good in terms of resources like memory and disk space. so i wanted to know the statistics of each of my boxes. Like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: renjithram
2 Replies

8. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

disk space

Hello All- Am new member to this forum. Have some unix experience. But true believer in it compared to windows. Have a question regarding the disk space. I know a command to check the total disk space utilization using: df -k . but what is the command to check the same disk space by... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: milkyway
6 Replies

9. Red Hat

disk space

when i check /export directory of my machine gets filled up (85%) i removed some old logs. but after cleaning df -k command still shows that /export is still 85% full. Is there a way to force df to reflect actual free space without rebooting? My machine is a production one and can't... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: aboorkuma
8 Replies
AT(1)							      General Commands Manual							     AT(1)

NAME
at - execute commands at a later time SYNOPSIS
at [ -c ] [ -s ] [ -m ] time [ day ] [ file ] DESCRIPTION
At spools away a copy of the named file to be used as input to sh(1) or csh(1). If the -c flag (for (csh(1))) or the -s flag (for (sh(1))) is specified, then that shell will be used to execute the job; if no shell is specified, the current environment shell is used. If no file name is specified, at prompts for commands from standard input until a ^D is typed. If the -m flag is specified, mail will be sent to the user after the job has been run. If errors occur during execution of the job, then a copy of the error diagnostics will be sent to the user. If no errors occur, then a short message is sent informing the user that no errors occurred. The format of the spool file is as follows: A four line header that includes the owner of the job, the name of the job, the shell used to run the job, and whether mail will be set after the job is executed. The header is followed by a cd command to the current directory and a umask command to set the modes on any files created by the job. Then at copies all relevant environment variables to the spool file. When the script is run, it uses the user and group ID of the creator of the spool file. The time is 1 to 4 digits, with an optional following `A', `P', `N' or `M' for AM, PM, noon or midnight. One and two digit numbers are taken to be hours, three and four digits to be hours and minutes. If no letters follow the digits, a 24 hour clock time is understood. The optional day is either (1) a month name followed by a day number, or (2) a day of the week; if the word `week' follows, invocation is moved seven days further off. Names of months and days may be recognizably truncated. Examples of legitimate commands are at 8am jan 24 at -c -m 1530 fr week at -s -m 1200n week At programs are executed by periodic execution of the command /usr/libexec/atrun from cron(8). The granularity of at depends upon the how often atrun is executed. Error output is lost unless redirected or the -m flag is requested, in which case a copy of the errors is sent to the user via mail(1). FILES
/usr/spool/at spooling area /usr/spool/at/yy.ddd.hhhh.* job file /usr/spool/at/past directory where jobs are executed from /usr/spool/at/lasttimedone last time atrun was run /usr/libexec/atrun executor (run by cron(8)) SEE ALSO
atq(1), atrm(1), calendar(1), sleep(1), cron(8) DIAGNOSTICS
Complains about various syntax errors and times out of range. BUGS
Due to the granularity of the execution of /usr/libexec/atrun, there may be bugs in scheduling things almost exactly 24 hours into the future. If the system crashes, mail is not sent to the user informing them that the job was not completed. Sometimes old spool files are not removed from the directory /usr/spool/at/past. This is usually due to a system crash, and requires that they be removed by hand. 4th Berkeley Distribution October 21, 1996 AT(1)