Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris 10 VMs hang after about a week Post 302633207 by vmcore on Tuesday 1st of May 2012 01:32:54 PM
Old 05-01-2012
Actually, you should try workaround for above CR, as it has not been fixed yet (in your kernel version).
Official:

There is no resolution to this issue at this time. The Solaris 10 official fix for CR# 6898318 "ZFS root system can hang swapping to zvol" went into patch 147440-04 and was later backed out due to CR# 7108029 "with 147440-04 installed on vxvm root system panics in swapify()". CR# 6898318 is now being tracked by CR# 7106883 "swap zvol preallocation does not work on Solaris 10" for resolution through a patch.

workaround:
  • Use a raw swap partition instead of swapping to a zvol. or
  • zfs set primarycache=metadata {poolname}/{swapvol}
    This workaround mitigates the issue from happening. To make sure it is properly applied,
    1. execute swap -l, to get the names of the zpools and volumes involved.
    2. The primarycache property can be viewed by:
    zfs get primarycache {poolname}/{swapvol}
    and changed by:
    zfs set primarycache=metadata {poolname}/{swapvol}

Also, this is only from experience, I would not run ZFS on a system with such limited resources. 2GB of RAM is simply not enough for performance reasons.

Last edited by vmcore; 05-01-2012 at 02:58 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to vmcore For This Post:

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Time change next week - solaris 8 ?

Can anyone tell me does solaris 8 automatically update the time upon the daylight savings? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
4 Replies

2. Solaris

solaris 5.8 hang on boot

I have an ultra 10 system, and am trying to install and verify a previously cloned hard drive, to make sure it works, that it really is a duplicate of the hard drive currently on an other server, etc. I plugged in this cloned hard drive as master, only drive in the system. No network LAN... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: HikerLT
2 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris 10 CDE hang issue

Hi, I am facing some issues on Solaris 10 (SPARC 5.10 Generic_118833-36). The issue is when I try to connect/login through CDE it hangs (hangs at login screen). I tried connecting thourgh VNC client also but that also not helped. I had done no configuration change or modified any kernel... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kgupta
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Bind hang up when process is reaching to 500 Mb, Solaris 10u8, Sun T5140

Hi all, I use latest bind 9.6.1, brand-new T5140 Sun Server, 10u8 Solaris OS, Mar-2010 OS patch to configure a caching dns server. But bind always hang up when process/cache is reaching to 500 Mb ( Though 'prstat -a' check ) Can anyone help me a solution for this problem, i will greatly... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tien86
0 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris 11 and OpenSolaris both hang at Configuring Devices

Hi, Any help would be appreciated, when I attempt to install either OpenSolaris or Solaris 11 the install hangs right after the copyright where normally it would be "configuring devices" . If it is SOL 11 it just hangs if it is OpenSolaris it starts spitting out the following: WARNING: hubdi:... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jk121960
0 Replies

6. Solaris

How to get day of the week from a timestamp using Solaris

Looking for something equivalent to what im able to do with Linux: date -d 20120523 +%a Wed Is there a Solaris equivalent? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chihova
5 Replies
AMZFS-SNAPSHOT(8)					  System Administration Commands					 AMZFS-SNAPSHOT(8)

NAME
amzfs-snapshot - Amanda script to create zfs snapshot DESCRIPTION
amzfs-snapshot is an Amanda script implementing the Script API. It should not be run by users directly. It create a zfs snapshot of the filesystem where the path specified is mounted. PRE-DLE-* create a snapshot and the POST-DLE-* destroy the snapshot, *-DLE-AMCHECK, *-DLE-ESTIMATE and *-DLE-BACKUP must be set to be executed on the client: execute-on pre-dle-amcheck, post-dle-amcheck, pre-dle-estimate, post-dle-estimate, pre-dle-backup, post-dle-backup execute-where client The PRE_DLE_* script output a DIRECTORY property telling where the directory is located in the snapshot. The application must be able to use the DIRECTORY property, amgtar can do it. The script is run as the amanda user, it must have the priviledge to create and destroy snapshot: zfs allow -ldu AMANDA_USER mount,snapshot,destroy FILESYSTEM Some system doesn't have "zfs allow", but you can give the Amanda backup user the rights to manipulate ZFS filesystems by using the following command: usermod -P "ZFS File System Management,ZFS Storage Management" AMANDA_USER This will require that your run zfs under pfexec, set the PFEXEC property to YES. The format of the DLE must be one of: Desciption Example ---------- ------- Mountpoint /data Arbitrary mounted dir /data/interesting_dir ZFS pool name datapool ZFS filesystem datapool/database ZFS logical volume datapool/dbvol The filesystem must be mounted. PROPERTIES
This section lists the properties that control amzfs-snapshot's functionality. See amanda-scripts(7) for information on the Script API, script configuration. DF-PATH Path to the 'df' binary, search in $PATH by default. ZFS-PATH Path to the 'zfs' binary, search in $PATH by default. PFEXEC-PATH Path to the 'pfexec' binary, search in $PATH by default. PFEXEC If "NO" (the default), pfexec is not used, if set to "YES" then pfexec is used. EXAMPLE
In this example, a dumptype is defined to use amzfs-snapshot script to create a snapshot and use amgtar to backup the snapshot. define script-tool amzfs_snapshot { comment "backup of zfs snapshot" plugin "amzfs-snapshot" execute-on pre-dle-amcheck, post-dle-amcheck, pre-dle-estimate, post-dle-estimate, pre-dle-backup, post-dle-backup execute-where client #property "DF-PATH" "/usr/sbin/df" #property "ZFS-PATH" "/usr/sbin/zfs" #property "PFEXEC-PATH" "/usr/sbin/pfexec" #property "PFEXEC" "NO" } define dumptype user-zfs-amgtar { dt_amgtar script "amzfs_snapshot" } SEE ALSO
amanda(8), amanda.conf(5), amanda-client.conf(5), amanda-scripts(7) The Amanda Wiki: : http://wiki.zmanda.com/ AUTHORS
Jean-Louis Martineau <martineau@zmanda.com> Zmanda, Inc. (http://www.zmanda.com) Dustin J. Mitchell <dustin@zmanda.com> Zmanda, Inc. (http://www.zmanda.com) Amanda 3.3.3 01/10/2013 AMZFS-SNAPSHOT(8)