Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Time Zone and find command
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Time Zone and find command Post 302614591 by Corona688 on Wednesday 28th of March 2012 03:38:50 PM
Old 03-28-2012
Have you tried checking ctime(change time) instead of mtime(modification time)?

ctime should be the last time the file's inode was changed -- for a brand-new file, that'd be when the file was created. The ctime probably has a timestamp assigned by your system, not theirs.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command to find last time file was opened

New to unix .. Is there a simple command or utility that will tell me when the last time a file was opened/used? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbr262
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

find command takes a lot of time ( can I skip directories)

I have a file called "library" with the following content libnxrdbmgr.a libnxrdbmgr.so libnxtk.a libnxtk.so libora0d_nsc_osi.so I am trying to locate if these libraries are on my machine or not. find command runs for about few seconds and hangs after this. Can someone please help me and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: knijjar
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare Last Modified Time across Time Zone

Hi, I'm new to shell script programming, I only have Java programming background. I'm writing a shell script to do file synchronization between 2 machines that located at different time zone area. Both machine were set its time zone according to its geographical location (Eg: server is at... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: python
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

To find the time of excution of a particular unix command

Hi experts, It would be grateful if you can guide me on the following, 1.How to find the time of excution of a particular unix command. 2. How to find the terminal (IP Address) from where that particular unix command was excuted. 3. How to find the user who executed that particular unix... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: apsprabhu
1 Replies

5. AIX

Time Zone for a User Different From Server Time

Hi, A server runs on EDT. Can I set a user with time-zone GMT without changing the server time? regards, Roshni (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RoshniMehta
1 Replies

6. Solaris

modifying date and time and time zone on solaris 5.10 with (redundant server) veritas

I have a cluster of two Solaris server (veritas cluster). one working and the other is standby I am going to change the date on them , and am looking for a secure solution as it is giving an important service. my opinion is that the active one doesn't need to be restarted (if I don't change the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: barry1946
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Find command output gives one day before time stamp

Hi All, I am listing the files which are 4 hours older. For this first I have creted a dummy file with the 4 hours before timestamp, then I am using the below find command, find /path/ -type f ! -newer 4_hours_oledr_file -exec ls -lrt {} \; I am getting the files which are older than... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: velava
13 Replies

8. Solaris

showing 2 different time zones in global zone and nonglobal zone

can some one help me out as it is showing 2 different time zones in global zone and nonglobal zone .In global zone it is showing in GMT while in nonglobal zone i it showing as PDT. System in running with solaris 10 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravijanjanam12
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert UTC time into current UNIX sever time zone

Hi guys thanks for the help for my previous posts.Now i have a requirement that i download a XMl file which has UTC time stamp.I need to convert UTC time into Unix server timezone. For ex if the time zone of unix server is CDT then i need to convert into CDT.whatever may be the system time... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanalakshmi
5 Replies
TMPWATCH(8)						   System Administrator's Manual					       TMPWATCH(8)

NAME
tmpwatch - removes files which haven't been accessed for a period of time SYNOPSIS
tmpwatch [-u|-m|-c] [-faqstv] [--verbose] [--force] [--all] [--test] [--fuser ] [--atime|--mtime|--ctime] [--quiet] <hours> <dirs> DESCRIPTION
tmpwatch recursively removes files which haven't been accessed for a given number of hours. Normally, it's used to clean up directories which are used for temporary holding space such as /tmp. When changing directories, tmpwatch is very sensitive to possible race conditions and will exit with an error if one is detected. It does not follow symbolic links in the directories it's cleaning (even if a symbolic link is given as its argument), will not switch filesystems, and only removes empty directories and regular files. By default, tmpwatch dates files by their atime (access time), not their mtime (modification time). If files aren't being removed when ls -l implies they should be, use ls -u to examine their atime to see if that explains the problem. If the --atime, --ctime or --mtime options are used in combination, the decision about deleting a file will be based on the maximum of this times. The hours parameter defines the threshold for removing files. If the file has not been accessed for hours hours, the file is removed. Fol- lowing this, one or more directories may be given for tmpwatch to clean up. OPTIONS
-u, --atime Make the decision about deleting a file based on the file's atime (access time). This is the default. -m, --mtime Make the decision about deleting a file based on the file's mtime (modification time) instead of the atime. -c, --ctime Make the decision about deleting a file based on the file's ctime (inode change time) instead of the atime; for directories, make the decision based on the mtime. -a, --all Remove all file types, not just regular files and directories. -d, --nodirs Do not attempt to remove directories, even if they are empty. -f, --force Remove files even if root doesn't have write access (akin to rm -f). -t, --test Doesn't remove files, but goes through the motions of removing them. This implies -v. -s, --fuser Attempt to use the "fuser" command to see if a file is already open before removing it. Not enabled by default. Does help in some circumstances, but not all. Dependent on fuser being installed in /sbin. -v, --verbose Print a verbose display. Two levels of verboseness are available -- use this option twice to get the most verbose output. SEE ALSO
cron(1), ls(1), rm(1), fuser(1) WARNINGS
GNU-style long options are not supported on HP-UX. AUTHORS
Erik Troan <ewt@redhat.com> Preston Brown <pbrown@redhat.com> Nalin Dahyabhai <nalin@redhat.com> 4th Berkeley Distribution Wed Nov 28 2001 TMPWATCH(8)