Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: can't find SCSI drives
Operating Systems Solaris can't find SCSI drives Post 302583940 by ppchu99 on Wednesday 21st of December 2011 05:18:26 PM
Old 12-21-2011
SCSI errors..

had a look at the messages.further..it is none of the below..
it is an storEdge D1000, probe-scsi-all finds all drives..but system boot up show reduced transfer rates..after even changing all cables

SCSI bus DATA IN phase parity error

Cause

The most common cause of this problem is unapproved hardware. Some SCSI devices for the PC market do not meet the high I/O speed requirements for the UNIX market. Other possible causes of this problem are improper cabling or termination, and power fluctuations. Data corruption is possible, but unlikely to occur, because this parity error prevents data transfer.
Action

Check that all SCSI devices on the bus are Sun-approved hardware. Then verify that all cables measure no longer than six meters total and that all SCSI connections are properly terminated. If power fluctuations are occurring, invest in an uninterruptible power supply.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

mapping drives

how can i map a shared network drive? Is there any command to perform mapping? For example if i want to map a shared directory named "wwwroot" in machine "dev001" to my machine's "X" drive, how can it be done?? -Thanks Sakthi. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cs_sakthi
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

detecting drives

I know that Unix is different from windows in that it needs more manual configuring but how do I get Solaris 8 (Intel version) to recognize my floppy drive and cd-rom?? I mean does it automatically detect the drives at startup and I have to mount them or do I have to create the drives somehow and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eloquent99
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how floppy disks, CDs and flash drives (pen drives) are accessed in UNIX

hi how floppy disks, CDs and flash drives (pen drives) are accessed in UNIX? thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nokia1100
0 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Opinions on Internal SCSI Tape Drives for FreeBSD home server?

Any recommend manufacturers for an internal SCSI tape drive in my FreeBSD 7.0 home server? Besides RAID-1, I'm not backing-up, but man, are they expensive! What makes a tape drive so darn pricy? There is no way I can afford a new drive so I'll start looking on eBay and craigslist to see if there... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aaron Van
3 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Unable to mount/find new drives

Hi, I work offshore and we have a system that records excessive amounts of data (Terabytes), therefore we changed the 16 x 400GB drives to 16 x 1TB drives. However, since doing this, upon bootup, the system does not recognize the new drives. These drives are external drives in a chassis which is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shamrocks
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to let "this" find all hard drives correctly

hi all I've been working on a project to create a custom centos live-cd with a tsm client installed. so far, the kickstart script isnt working properly to add icons into a live user's desktop. I found there is a expression looking strange. it isnt working, neither. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rs6000er
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

New Drives on Solaris 8

Hi All! I'm running Solaris 8(02/02) on a v880 with 6 internal drives and several SAN drives attached via HBA cards. My questions is this: Can I use devfsadm -C to see new SAN drives without rebooting? Thanks!! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluescreen
2 Replies

8. Ubuntu

where to find the message "Your disk drives are being checked for errors"

Hi, During start up I got the message "Your disk drives are being checked for errors". But it went so fast that I could read following messages. Once logged I though I could find it in "dmesg" but nothing... May someone know where I can find plese ? :) (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xib.be
3 Replies
sane-find-scanner(1)					      General Commands Manual					      sane-find-scanner(1)

NAME
sane-find-scanner - find SCSI and USB scanners and their device files SYNOPSIS
sane-find-scanner [-h|-?] [-v] [-q] [-f] [devname] DESCRIPTION
sane-find-scanner is a command-line tool to find SCSI and some USB scanners and determine their Unix device files. It's part of the sane- backends package. For SCSI scanners, it checks the default generic SCSI device files (e.g., /dev/sg0) and /dev/scanner. The test is done by sending a SCSI inquiry command and looking for a device type of "scanner" or "processor" (some old HP scanners seem to send "processor"). So sane-find- scanner will find any SCSI scanner connected to those default device files even if it isn't supported by any SANE backend. For USB scanners, first the USB kernel scanner device files (e.g. /dev/usb/scanner0), /dev/usb/scanner, and /dev/usbscanner are tested. The files are opened and the vendor and device ids are determined if the operating system supports this feature. Currently USB scanners are only found this way if they are supported by the Linux scanner module or the FreeBSD or OpenBSD uscanner driver. After that test, sane- find-scanner tries to scan for USB devices found by the USB library libusb (if available). There is no special USB class for scanners, so the heuristics used to distinguish scanners from other USB devices is not perfect. sane-find-scanner will even find USB scanners, that are not supported by any SANE backend. sane-find-scanner won't find parallel port scanners, or scanners connected to proprietary ports. OPTIONS
-h, -? Prints a short usage message. -v Verbose output. If used once, sane-find-scanner shows every device name and the test result. If used twice, SCSI inquiry informa- tion and the USB device descriptors are also printed. -q Be quiet. Print only the devices, no comments. -f Force opening all explicitely given devices as SCSI and USB devices. That's useful if sane-find-scanner is wrong in determing the device type. devname Test device file "devname". No other devices are checked if devname is given. EXAMPLE
sane-find-scanner -v Check all SCSI and USB devices for available scanners and print a line for every device file. sane-find-scanner /dev/scanner Look for a (SCSI) scanner only at /dev/scanner and print the result. SEE ALSO
sane(7), sane-scsi(5), sane-usb(5), scanimage(1), xscanimage(1), xsane(1), sane-"backendname"(5) AUTHOR
Oliver Rauch, Henning Meier-Geinitz and others SUPPORTED PLATFORMS
USB support is limited to Linux (kernel, libusb), FreeBSD (kernel, libusb), NetBSD (libusb), OpenBSD (kernel, libusb). Detecting the vendor and device ids only works with Linux or libusb. SCSI support is available on Irix, EMX, Linux, Next, AIX, Solaris, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, and HP-UX. BUGS
No support for parallel port scanners yet. 15 Sep 2002 sane-find-scanner(1)