Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Copy contents of whatever's loaded into the CD drive Post 302571939 by Corona688 on Tuesday 8th of November 2011 03:57:59 PM
Old 11-08-2011
What's your system?

Are you allowed to install programs?

I can get the disk name from isoinfo on my linux system, part of cdrtools, but it needs to read direct from the cd device:

Code:
$ isoinfo -d -i /dev/cdrom2 
CD-ROM is in ISO 9660 format
System id:
Volume id: GRMCPRXFRER_EN_DVD
Volume set id: GRMCPRXFRER_EN_DVD
Publisher id: MICROSOFT CORPORATION
Data preparer id: MICROSOFT CORPORATION, ONE MICROSOFT WAY, REDMOND WA 98052, (425) 882-8080
Application id: CDIMAGE 2.54 (01/01/2005 TM)
Copyright File id:
Abstract File id:
Bibliographic File id:
Volume set size is: 1
Volume set sequence number is: 1
Logical block size is: 2048
Volume size is: 1574554
El Torito VD version 1 found, boot catalog is in sector 22
NO Joliet present

NO Rock Ridge present
Eltorito validation header:
    Hid 1
    Arch 0 (x86)
    ID 'Microsoft Corporation'
    Cksum 4C 49 OK
    Key 55 AA
    Eltorito defaultboot header:
        Bootid 88 (bootable)
        Boot media 0 (No Emulation Boot)
        Load segment 0
        Sys type 0
        Nsect 8
        Bootoff 2DE 734
$

Unless they specifically labelled and IDed all these disks though I suspect you're going to be disappointed. Most people don't bother and leave them as some generic name.

You're more likely to find what you want in looking at the contents of these CD's, the identification may be present somewhere in the data.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

How to a see the contents of my CD drive

in a Scoopen server station. In a windows based system you just go to mycomputer- and than double click the cd rom drive icon...simple....But i need to see the same but for a SCO open server....i want the same for a floppy drive tooo... By the way, i tried (scoadmin ) command but couldnt go... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BAM
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to a see the contents of my CD drive

How to a see the contents of my CD drive in a Scoopen server station. In a windows based system you just go to mycomputer- and than double click the cd rom drive icon...simple....But i need to see the same but for a SCO open server....i want the same for a floppy drive tooo... By the way, i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: BAM
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copy folder contents

I need to make a new dir in side the dir lab5 the new dir is called testLab5 without changing directories copy all files from your lab5 directory into your testLab5 directory then i have to without chaning directories and using exactly one command remove all files that start with the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: robsk8_99
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

copy contents of one column in another

Hi, I want to pick contents of a column in a file and copy the contents of this to other column. awk can be used for this, but the number of fields are higher so awk will not help. Any other way to do this. e.g following file has some contents a follows a,b,c,d,e,f,9,0 i need... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: raman1605
4 Replies

5. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

List Contents of Drive by size

I am having difficulty listing the contents of a specific disk drive including hidden files and folders by size on disk. Its been a while since i have used dos and batch files in windows as am used to UNIX so was wondering if anybody could help me with this? Regards, Alan Jackson (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pure_jax
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

copy the contents between two keywords to a new file.

Hi All, I want to edit my gate level netlists by searching for the content between two patterns eg: ff1 \test/a0 ( .CLK(\test/ClkInt0_acb_00x1 ),.D(\test/Rakicc ), .QB(\test/X ), .VDD(1'b1), .VSS(1'b0)); ff1 \test/a1 ( .CLK(\test/medis0_acb_00x1 ),.D(\test/hedwc ), .QB(\test/X ),... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveen@
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Real time status of tape drive loaded for backup

Do we have a way in solaris to actuallyu check in real time the activity of a tape when it is loaded for backup? I know mt -f /dev/rmt/0n stat will provide the status. If it's busy, meaning it's currrently on backup mode or someone is using it (fuser -u /dev/rmt/0n) I wanted to check if the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lhareigh890
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help to copy contents of a file

Hi, I am stuck up with a problem of copying the contents of a directory where one of the folder name is changed daily. Problem: I have the folder structure as: RefWorlds2/LINGCC4_X64/odsdev/odessy/UTI/621GA_build_xxx/.../.. In the above path the build number (xxx) will be changed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SathaKarni
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy contents of one file to another

I need to write a script (in bash) that copies the content of the first file in each folder of a directory to the second file in the same folder. I tried this and it didn't work - it just came back with errors and I'm not sure how to fix it. Help is very much appreciated! for mpdir in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LeftoverStew
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to copy contents

I am trying to move content of a folder usingls /backup/db_backups/INCREMENTAL/|while read file ; do mv $file /backup_LOCAL/db_backups/INCREMENTAL/ done...but when I run this command using a bash script I'm getting this error ./test.sh mv: cannot stat... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocking77
6 Replies
HD(4)							     Linux Programmer's Manual							     HD(4)

NAME
hd - MFM/IDE hard disk devices DESCRIPTION
The hd* devices are block devices to access MFM/IDE hard disk drives in raw mode. The master drive on the primary IDE controller (major device number 3) is hda; the slave drive is hdb. The master drive of the second controller (major device number 22) is hdc and the slave hdd. General IDE block device names have the form hdX, or hdXP, where X is a letter denoting the physical drive, and P is a number denoting the partition on that physical drive. The first form, hdX, is used to address the whole drive. Partition numbers are assigned in the order the partitions are discovered, and only non-empty, non-extended partitions get a number. However, partition numbers 1-4 are given to the four partitions described in the MBR (the `primary' partitions), regardless of whether they are unused or extended. Thus, the first logi- cal partition will be hdX5. Both DOS-type partitioning and BSD-disklabel partitioning are supported. You can have at most 63 partitions on an IDE disk. For example, /dev/hda refers to all of the first IDE drive in the system; and /dev/hdb3 refers to the third DOS `primary' partition on the second one. They are typically created by: mknod -m 660 /dev/hda b 3 0 mknod -m 660 /dev/hda1 b 3 1 mknod -m 660 /dev/hda2 b 3 2 ... mknod -m 660 /dev/hda8 b 3 8 mknod -m 660 /dev/hdb b 3 64 mknod -m 660 /dev/hdb1 b 3 65 mknod -m 660 /dev/hdb2 b 3 66 ... mknod -m 660 /dev/hdb8 b 3 72 chown root:disk /dev/hd* FILES
/dev/hd* SEE ALSO
mknod(1), chown(1), mount(8), sd(4) Linux 1992-12-17 HD(4)