Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Reading files under a folder and formatting content of each file Post 302495740 by rocking77 on Friday 11th of February 2011 04:20:20 AM
Old 02-11-2011
Reading files under a folder and formatting content of each file

I have 'n' number of files in a folder .each file in the folder "myfolder" is having the content like.
Code:
COLNAME
------------
AAAAAA
BBBBBB
CCCCCC
DDDDDD

ZZZZZZ
26 recrod(s) selected.

My request is by reading each file in "myfolder" and format each file such a way delete line "COLNAME","------" ,"26 records(s) selected" including the blank lines.Hence i need an out like.

Code:
AAAAA
BBBBB
CCCCC
DDDDD

ZZZZZZ

Note:

This should be for all the files in a folder call "myfolder".after formating . i need to print .

Code:
INSERT INTO<file-name> (AAAAA,
BBBB,
CCCC,
DDDD,
zzzzzz

Can somebody help me on this ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading a file name as soon as that files arrives into a folder

Hi, Thanks in Advance.. i have the following requirement, some one please help me.. An unix shell script has to pick up the file name from a folder as soon as that file comes into that folder. Regards, Alo (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dtazv
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Reading a file and sending mail based on content of the file

Hi Gurus, I am having an requirement. i have to read a list file which contains file names and send mail to different users based on the files in the list file. eg. if file a.txt exists then send a mail to a@a.com simillary for b.txt,c.txt etc. Thanks for your help, Nimu (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimu1979
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in reading a file content

Hi, I am reading a file line by line using read line function of while loop. Each line contains 4 fields. I want to take these 4 values in 4 variables in each iteration so that i can use them in my script. The issue here is that my awk command is returning awkward results - Here is a sample line... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: garman
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading several files and summing their content line-by-line

Hey, I am gettin a bit crazy with my script. I have several input datas with the same name (5.ill) in different folders (daysim_01, daysim_02, etc.). The 4. column of each of the data has to be summed with each other and then hass to be written in one new file. So file1: 1 1 0 1 2 1 1 2 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ergy1983
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to build Shell Script to search content of a text file into a folder consist several files

Have to read one file say sourcefile containing several words and having another folder containing several files. Now read the first word of Sourcefile & search it into the folder consisting sevral files, and create another file with result. We hhave to pick the filename of the file in which... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukesh.baranwal
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting Report and Reading data and fetching the details from contents file

Data I was trying to write shell script which will be return the output in the below format First i was trying to do these using sed. sed -n '/.ksh/p' mainksh.ksh sed -e 's/*\(.*\)/\1/g' mainksh.ksh $RUN_DIR, $SUB_DIR and the variables which will be defined in the profile file. when i am... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rameshds
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

search for content in files. Name of files is in another file. Format as report.

Hi I have multiple files in a folder and one file which contains a list of files (one on each line). I was to search for a string only within these files and not the whole folder. I need the output to be in the form File1<tab>string instance 2<tab> string instance 2<tab>string instance 3... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pkabali
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble reading content of file from a variable

Hi , i have a parameter which has path of a file. Now i need to have another parameter with the content of that file. I tried the belwo script , can any one please help. I dont want to use cat command to read. Can we do it with out using cat command. while read line do... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravindra Swan
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to get script to create a new file that lists folder content sorted by size?

I have a script that sorts and processes unsorted files to newly created directories. Its working great, but I am trying to understand the leanest method to get the script to create an additional file within each newly created directory that: Contains a list of all files in the directory... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Braveheart
4 Replies

10. Programming

Reading flat file content

is there any unix tools that can read the text files like through SQL queries? (ie in Hadoop, Impala DB support flat file query) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: omykarshan
1 Replies
RMF(1)								     [nmh-1.5]								    RMF(1)

NAME
rmf - remove an nmh folder SYNOPSIS
rmf [+folder] [-interactive | -nointeractive] [-version] [-help] DESCRIPTION
Rmf removes all of the messages (files) within the specified (or default) folder, and then removes the folder (directory) itself. If there are any files within the folder which are not a part of nmh, they will not be removed, and an error will be produced. If the folder is given explicitly or the -nointeractive option is given, then the folder will be removed without confirmation. Otherwise, the user will be asked for confirmation. If rmf can't find the current folder, for some reason, the folder to be removed defaults to `+inbox' (unless overridden by user's profile entry "Inbox") with confirmation. If the folder being removed is a subfolder, the parent folder will become the new current folder, and rmf will produce a message telling the user this has happened. This provides an easy mechanism for selecting a set of messages, operating on the list, then removing the list and returning to the current folder from which the list was extracted. If rmf s used on a read-only folder, it will delete all the (private) sequences (i.e., "atr-seq-folder" entries) for this folder from your context without affecting the folder itself. Rmf irreversibly deletes messages that don't have other links, so use it with caution. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Current-Folder: To find the default current folder Inbox: To find the default inbox SEE ALSO
rmm(1) DEFAULTS
`+folder' defaults to the current folder, usually with confirmation `-interactive' if +folder' not given, `-nointeractive' otherwise CONTEXT
Rmf will set the current folder to the parent folder if a subfolder is removed; or if the current folder is removed, it will make "inbox" current. Otherwise, it doesn't change the current folder or message. BUGS
Although intuitively one would suspect that rmf works recursively, it does not. Hence if you have a sub-folder within a folder, in order to rmf the parent, you must first rmf each of the children. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 RMF(1)