Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers vi does not open file properly.... Post 302473266 by ctsgnb on Friday 19th of November 2010 09:57:43 AM
Old 11-19-2010
Code:
strings test1.txt >test2.txt
vi test2.txt

===> if you can edit test2.txt correctly with vi then
Code:
cat test2.txt >test1.txt
rm test2.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file activity (open/closed) file descriptor info using KORN shell scripting

I am trying to find a way to check the current status of a file. Such as some cron job processes are dependent on the completion of others. if a file is currently being accessed / modified or simply open state I will wait until it is done being processed before attempting the next process on that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gary Dunn
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to open a text file by double clicking on the file name in gtk+

how to open a text file by double clicking on the file name shown in a label widget in gtk+. thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cy163
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Issue with shell script: not detecting file properly

The following script is meant to check the presence of a file - called filename0.94.tar.gz - and uncompress it: #!/bin/sh # check presence of file VERSION=0.94 if ; then # file not present: abort echo "Files cannot be found." #exit 1 (commented out this line, so we can see how the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
2 Replies

4. Programming

Some how the open(file,flag, acc) returns 0 and write to the screen, instead of the file ???

I am out of idea what to do to resolve the problem! I need to use the open(file, for.., access) function to write a file. Never have the situation like that: it is return 0 - zero. As a result all write(..) going to the screen! What the problem it could be? I do not even know... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
2 Replies

5. Red Hat

cannot set user id: Resource temporarily unavailable (not open file/open process related)

First post, sorry to be a bother but this one has been dogging me. I have a process user (java application server) that trips a resource limit every couple weeks and need help finding what limit we're hitting. First, this is what's running: This is the error when jobs are run or the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Katahdin
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Before I delete any file in Unix, How can I check no open file handle is pointing to that file?

I know how to check if any file has a unix process using a file by looking at 'lsof <fullpath/filename>' command. I think using lsof is very expensive. Also to make it accurate we need to inlcude fullpath of the file. Is there another command that can tell if a file has a truely active... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie.. Find if a file exists and open, if not create the desired file..

Hey all, I'm brand new to script writing, I'm wanting to make a script that will ask for a file and then retrieve that file if it exists, and if it doesn't exist, create the file with the desired name, and I'm completely stuck.. so far.. #! bin/bash echo "Enter desired file" read "$file" if ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Byrang
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

In Outlook spooled file data is not getting displayed properly

I am fetching a database table in spool file and send that details as a email. The Spooled file content is properly being displayed in UNIX. See Example below : ID|FILENAME |ABCDEF_DT |PROCESSED_DT |STATUS... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravi_007
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to check if my log file is growing properly?

Hi All, I want to check if one my log file is updating properly, how can I achieve it. The approach I am trying is to get the file size at two different interval and than comparing it eg : $ ls -ltr | tail -1 | awk '{print $5}' 20480 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukulverma2408
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

File count script not working properly

Hi Experts, I have this script to count the number of files based on prefix and suffix values. #!/bin/ksh file_date=$1 prefix=$2 suffix=$3 file_count=$(ls -l /db/day_file/{$prefix}*${file_date}*{$suffix}) The files in the directory /db/day_file are as below. 20170501 20170501... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nalu
7 Replies
gvfs-open(1)							   User Commands						      gvfs-open(1)

NAME
gvfs-open - open a file using the appropiate application SYNOPSIS
gvfs-open URI DESCRIPTION
gvfs-open opens an URI using the appropiate application. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: URI Specifies the file location in standard URI format. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Open a local image file example% gvfs-open file:///tmp/example.jpg Example 2: Open a remote resource example% gvfs-open http://www.sun.com/ ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables: NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The exit value 0 is returned regardless of success or failure. FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gvfs-open Executable to open a file using the appropiate application ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-gvfs | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |Volatile | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
gvfs-copy(1), gvfs-info(1), gvfs-less(1), gvfs-ls(1), gvfs-mkdir(1) gvfs-monitor-dir(1), gvfs-monitor-file(1), gvfs-mount(1), gvfs-move(1), gvfs-rename(1), gvfs-cat(1), gvfs-rm(1), gvfs-save(1), gvfs-trash(1), gvfs-tree(1), attributes(5), environ(5) NOTES
Written by Alvaro Lopez Ortega, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2008. SunOS 5.11 25 Mar 2008 gvfs-open(1)