Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers vi does not open file properly.... Post 302473266 by ctsgnb on Friday 19th of November 2010 09:57:43 AM
Old 11-19-2010
Code:
strings test1.txt >test2.txt
vi test2.txt

===> if you can edit test2.txt correctly with vi then
Code:
cat test2.txt >test1.txt
rm test2.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file activity (open/closed) file descriptor info using KORN shell scripting

I am trying to find a way to check the current status of a file. Such as some cron job processes are dependent on the completion of others. if a file is currently being accessed / modified or simply open state I will wait until it is done being processed before attempting the next process on that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gary Dunn
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to open a text file by double clicking on the file name in gtk+

how to open a text file by double clicking on the file name shown in a label widget in gtk+. thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cy163
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Issue with shell script: not detecting file properly

The following script is meant to check the presence of a file - called filename0.94.tar.gz - and uncompress it: #!/bin/sh # check presence of file VERSION=0.94 if ; then # file not present: abort echo "Files cannot be found." #exit 1 (commented out this line, so we can see how the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
2 Replies

4. Programming

Some how the open(file,flag, acc) returns 0 and write to the screen, instead of the file ???

I am out of idea what to do to resolve the problem! I need to use the open(file, for.., access) function to write a file. Never have the situation like that: it is return 0 - zero. As a result all write(..) going to the screen! What the problem it could be? I do not even know... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
2 Replies

5. Red Hat

cannot set user id: Resource temporarily unavailable (not open file/open process related)

First post, sorry to be a bother but this one has been dogging me. I have a process user (java application server) that trips a resource limit every couple weeks and need help finding what limit we're hitting. First, this is what's running: This is the error when jobs are run or the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Katahdin
0 Replies

6. Solaris

Before I delete any file in Unix, How can I check no open file handle is pointing to that file?

I know how to check if any file has a unix process using a file by looking at 'lsof <fullpath/filename>' command. I think using lsof is very expensive. Also to make it accurate we need to inlcude fullpath of the file. Is there another command that can tell if a file has a truely active... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie.. Find if a file exists and open, if not create the desired file..

Hey all, I'm brand new to script writing, I'm wanting to make a script that will ask for a file and then retrieve that file if it exists, and if it doesn't exist, create the file with the desired name, and I'm completely stuck.. so far.. #! bin/bash echo "Enter desired file" read "$file" if ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Byrang
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

In Outlook spooled file data is not getting displayed properly

I am fetching a database table in spool file and send that details as a email. The Spooled file content is properly being displayed in UNIX. See Example below : ID|FILENAME |ABCDEF_DT |PROCESSED_DT |STATUS... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravi_007
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to check if my log file is growing properly?

Hi All, I want to check if one my log file is updating properly, how can I achieve it. The approach I am trying is to get the file size at two different interval and than comparing it eg : $ ls -ltr | tail -1 | awk '{print $5}' 20480 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mukulverma2408
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

File count script not working properly

Hi Experts, I have this script to count the number of files based on prefix and suffix values. #!/bin/ksh file_date=$1 prefix=$2 suffix=$3 file_count=$(ls -l /db/day_file/{$prefix}*${file_date}*{$suffix}) The files in the directory /db/day_file are as below. 20170501 20170501... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nalu
7 Replies
unix2dos(1)						      General Commands Manual						       unix2dos(1)

NAME
unix2dos - UNIX to DOS text file format converter SYNOPSYS
unix2dos [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents unix2dos, the program that converts text files in UNIX format to DOS format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates unix2dos under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. unix2dos Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. unix2dos a.txt b.txt unix2dos -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. unix2dos a.txt -c iso b.txt unix2dos -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. unix2dos -k a.txt unix2dos -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. unix2dos -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. unix2dos -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. unix2dos a.txt -n b.txt e.txt unix2dos -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. unix2dos -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHOR
Benjamin Lin - ( blin@socs.uts.edu.au ) MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
dos2unix(1) 1995.03.31 unix2dos v2.2 unix2dos(1)