Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming TCP trashing data on application close Post 302455929 by Corona688 on Wednesday 22nd of September 2010 06:15:59 PM
Old 09-22-2010
Are you actually closing the socket before the program ends?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

secondary TCP application

:cool: I want to use 2 tcp applications in SCO 5.05 senerio I am using VisionFS 3.1 and I need to set it up as a secondary tcp app. I follow the profeditoir and change the tcp port from the primary port (139) to any other number below port 1024 and then restart the VisionFS server it is still... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lanman
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Which application has a TCP socket open

If I do a netstat -a I can see all the sockets currently open, is there a way that I can tell which application is holding open these sockets ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: murphyboy
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

close tcp port

Hello, I have a service running (ODBC) and every now and then it will hang and I will have to stop and restart the service. The problem is when I stop the service, it indeed stops the service, but netstat reports a tcp port still open with the fin_wait_2 status. Then I must close the client... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raidzero
1 Replies

4. Programming

problem receiving data from TCP socket

Hi all, I'm writing a socket program which sends a structure from one machine to another. When I run my client first time it runs well, however after the first time I couldn't receive all the data inside the structure (it is like, half of the array is received and the other half is not set). I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SaTYR
1 Replies

5. Programming

close existing tcp connection in C

Hello. I would like to know how to close an existing tcp socket. I have read some stuff and learned how to create a socket and then close it but have not found anything about how to close an existing tcp socket created by another application. The situation is this: I have an ODBC server running and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: raidzero
6 Replies

6. Solaris

many tcp connection in close-wait

Hi, I use solaris Unix . I find there is some problem in application and it generate many "close-wait" tcp connect and stay in the server . it is generate by process id 7740 root@XX # netstat -an | grep CLOSE_WAIT | wc -l 285 root@XX # netstat -an | grep CLOSE_WAIT 10.158.35.4.34805 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: abcdef
2 Replies

7. Programming

when parent process close, how to close the child?

can someone provide an example, where if the parent process quits for any reason, then the child process will also close? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega666
3 Replies

8. IP Networking

Packetize data to send it over tcp sockets

Hello All, I am very new to socket programming and client server architecture. I have to write a client which will send some data to server and server will display it on its console. I am ready with both client and server but my problem is with packetizing of data -- I have... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anand.shah
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to backup dirs on application start and close.

Hi I want to write a script that will back up one directory if a certain application launches and then backs up another directory if that same application is closed down. NFI where to start. It seems like cron isn't the tool for this because that is time based. I'm thinking I need... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: zorrokan
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

30 tcp connections Established for a while and after a few minutes are close

Good morning, I need your help please After Restarting Aps or connection, these are connections tcp 0 0 10.80.1.26.57597 10.81.248.79.53008 ESTABLISHED tcp 0 47 10.80.1.26.57607 10.81.248.79.53008 ESTABLISHED tcp 0 0 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexcol
4 Replies
TCP(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						    TCP(4)

NAME
tcp -- Internet Transmission Control Protocol SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/socket.h> #include <netinet/in.h> int socket(AF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, 0); DESCRIPTION
The TCP protocol provides reliable, flow-controlled, two-way transmission of data. It is a byte-stream protocol used to support the SOCK_STREAM abstraction. TCP uses the standard Internet address format and, in addition, provides a per-host collection of ``port addresses''. Thus, each address is composed of an Internet address specifying the host and network, with a specific TCP port on the host identifying the peer entity. Sockets utilizing the tcp protocol are either ``active'' or ``passive''. Active sockets initiate connections to passive sockets. By default TCP sockets are created active; to create a passive socket the listen(2) system call must be used after binding the socket with the bind(2) system call. Only passive sockets may use the accept(2) call to accept incoming connections. Only active sockets may use the connect(2) call to initiate connections. Passive sockets may ``underspecify'' their location to match incoming connection requests from multiple networks. This technique, termed ``wildcard addressing'', allows a single server to provide service to clients on multiple networks. To create a socket which listens on all networks, the Internet address INADDR_ANY must be bound. The TCP port may still be specified at this time; if the port is not specified the system will assign one. Once a connection has been established the socket's address is fixed by the peer entity's location. The address assigned the socket is the address associated with the network interface through which packets are being transmitted and received. Normally this address corresponds to the peer entity's network. TCP supports one socket option which is set with setsockopt(2) and tested with getsockopt(2). Under most circumstances, TCP sends data when it is presented; when outstanding data has not yet been acknowledged, it gathers small amounts of output to be sent in a single packet once an acknowledgement is received. For a small number of clients, such as window systems that send a stream of mouse events which receive no replies, this packetization may cause significant delays. Therefore, TCP provides a boolean option, TCP_NODELAY (from <netinet/tcp.h>, to defeat this algorithm. The option level for the setsockopt call is the protocol number for TCP, available from getprotobyname(3). Options at the IP transport level may be used with TCP; see ip(4). Incoming connection requests that are source-routed are noted, and the reverse source route is used in responding. DIAGNOSTICS
A socket operation may fail with one of the following errors returned: [EISCONN] when trying to establish a connection on a socket which already has one; [ENOBUFS] when the system runs out of memory for an internal data structure; [ETIMEDOUT] when a connection was dropped due to excessive retransmissions; [ECONNRESET] when the remote peer forces the connection to be closed; [ECONNREFUSED] when the remote peer actively refuses connection establishment (usually because no process is listening to the port); [EADDRINUSE] when an attempt is made to create a socket with a port which has already been allocated; [EADDRNOTAVAIL] when an attempt is made to create a socket with a network address for which no network interface exists. SEE ALSO
getsockopt(2), socket(2), intro(4), inet(4), ip(4) HISTORY
The tcp protocol stack appeared in 4.2BSD. 4.2 Berkeley Distribution June 5, 1993 4.2 Berkeley Distribution