Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers su command difference between unix and linux Post 302400349 by pludi on Wednesday 3rd of March 2010 02:44:53 AM
Old 03-03-2010
Have you checked the man page for su? Because it doesn't say anything there about a -l switch.

The -l that Linux supports is something borrowed from BSD, and just doesn't appear in any non-BSD inspired system (like AIX or HP-UX)

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Difference Between Unix and Linux Envoriment

This may/may not be a long answer to a short question. I am learning the C programming language at home.I have seen some good books on the UNIX programming enviroment.However, there were a few books that hinted towards the Linux programming enviroment.Is there any difference between the two as... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: perrylx
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

difference between unix and linux?

Ok, I'm confused. Can someone answer these (stupid) questions please for me? 1. What is the difference between unix and linux? 2. Is FreeBSD a unix distribution? 3. If not, then what is Unix? I actually gone to Unix.com because I thought this is it's official website where I could download... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: RellioN
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between UNIX and Linux

OK, I've used various versions of UNIX(Solaris, HPUX, etc..) over the years. Now the organization I work for is leaning towards more Linux based systems(Redhat, Suse, etc..) I do see differences in in comands and how to accomplish basic adminstration, but nothing mind blowing. So, what is it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbonilla
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What is the difference between Unix & linux

:confused: Hi All Can anyone help me in finding the answer of the question mentioned below. What is the difference between Unix & linux ? Thanks in Advance to all CSaha (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: csaha
1 Replies

5. AIX

difference between AIx and Linux and Unix

Sir , Can any body explain the difference between linux , Unix and AIx on command Reference all the command on AIx and unix is same or not please reply (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arif185
2 Replies

6. Programming

Difference between cp and mv linux command

Hi, I am facing one problem only with mv command not with cp command. I have a test program #include <stdio.h> #include <string.h> #include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/stat.h> #include <sys/mount.h> #include <fcntl.h> #include <errno.h> int sync_file(char *file) { FILE *fp=NULL;... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dharshini123
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

difference in unix vs. linux sort

Hi, I am using some codes that have been ported from unix to linux, and now the sorting no longer results in the desired ordering. I'm hoping to find a way to mimic the unix sort command in linux. The input file is structured the following: $> cat file.txt... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aj.schaeffer
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

difference between unix and linux

Hi I am new to linux I have dout waht is the difference between UNIX and LINUX Is there any soft for insatallation for UNIX OS Thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjaya
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between UNIX and Linux

hi experts please tell me the real difference between unix and linux at kernel structure (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: linurag
1 Replies
TL(4)							   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						     TL(4)

NAME
tl -- Ethernet driver for Texas Instruments ThunderLAN based board SYNOPSIS
tl* at pci? dev ? function ? Configuration of PHYs is necessary. See mii(4). DESCRIPTION
The tl device driver supports network adapters based on the Texas Instruments ThunderLAN chip. HARDWARE
Supported cards include: Compaq Netelligent in baseboard and PCI variants (10BASE-T-only variant untested). Compaq NetFlex 3/P in baseboard variant only (the PCI variant doesn't use the same chip!). It Baseboard Compaq Deskpro 4000 5233MMX Ethernet (This has been tested on the Deskpro 4000M only). TI TravelMate 5000 series laptop docking station's Ethernet board. MEDIA SELECTION
The different models of the supported boards come with some subset of RJ-45, BNC and AUI connectors. Media selection is done using ifconfig(8) using the standard ifmedia(4) mechanism. Refer to those manual pages for more information. The tl driver doesn't have full automatic media selection. By default it will do an Nway (IEEE 802.3u) negotiation on the 10BASE-T port for the speed and duplex mode with the link partner. If the AUI or BNC port is used, an explicit media type must be specified to ifconfig(8). SEE ALSO
ifmedia(4), mii(4), netintro(4), pci(4), ifconfig(8) BUGS
The board marked as untested will always claim having an AUI connector, where it may be a BNC one. BSD
May 16, 2009 BSD