Sponsored Content
Operating Systems BSD restart the network on freeBSD 7.2 Post 302358358 by kpedersen on Friday 2nd of October 2009 08:48:38 AM
Old 10-02-2009
Hello,

I actually found the freebsd handbook to be a bit useless in this respect in the way that it always gave examples using inetd and putting parameters into your rc.conf file.

For a wireless device, I find this is daft.

Have a look at the wpa_supplicant.conf example file for how to craft the wpa_supplicant file. Once that is done, it is usually as simple as...

# wpa_supplicant -Dbsd -iath0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
# dhclient ath0

*This is done from memory so some spelling mistakes may occur Smilie

I use wpa_supplicant for anything wireless related now rather than using ifconfig and all that.

Hope this helps.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Application crashes in FreeBSD 7.1 while working ok in FreeBSD 6.3

Hello there, My mulithreaded application (which is too large to represent the source code here) is crashing after installing FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE/amd64. It worked properly on others machines (Dual Cores with 4GB of RAM - FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE/i386). The current machine has 2x Core 2 Duo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Seenquev
1 Replies

2. Programming

Help in developing a Network Appliation to monitor pc in a network

I am developing a Network Appliation to monitor computers in a network. Specs are App monitors the current web page viewed in each system App also can shutdown the computer in the network App can show all process run by each computer in the network I am now confused how to start my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: valaparambil88
2 Replies

3. IP Networking

ssh server is attachable from local network not from another network

hello i have a ubuntu ssh server that i can acess from any of my comnputers but only if they are on the same wireless network as the server. i tested trhis my tehtehring my samsung blackjack to my windows partition and installing openssh to windows it works when windows is on the wireless but no... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: old noob
1 Replies

4. AIX

How restart the network interface in AIX?

Hi All, Please let me know the command to restart the network interface and enable it on boot in AIX, similar to /etc/init.d/network restart in Redhat. Thanks, Sunil.K please watch out to post in the right subforum! (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunilrk07
9 Replies

5. IP Networking

Test Network Routing Issues (FREEBSD and RHEL)

Hello, I'm attempting to setup a test network with a client-server based architecture using a proprietary application. The client works by communicating with the server on separate links (typically cellular connections) and then initiates a tunnel over each active link. However, in place of the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shadyuk
0 Replies

6. Red Hat

Network becomes slow and return fast only after restart network

Hi, I have 2 machines in production environment: 1. redhat machine for application 2. DB machine (oracle) The application doing a lot of small read&writes from and to the DB machine. The problem is that after some few hours the network from the application to the DB becomes very slow and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: moshesa
4 Replies

7. IP Networking

I would like to monitor network traffic for a computer on my network

My son does homework on a school laptop. I was thinking about setting up a gateway on my home network, so that I can monitor web traffic and know if he is doing his homework without standing over his shoulder. Ideally I would like to use the Raspberry Pi Model b that I already have. However, I... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: gandolf989
15 Replies

8. Solaris

Changing "rx_queue_number" in "ixgbe.conf". Reboot or Network Restart?

Hi all, First post here. Working on Solaris 10, on a Sun t4-4, need to change RX queue depth(ethernet, not HBA) and was wondering if i could get by with just restarting the network or if i should just bounce the whole shebang. Apologies if i missed a similar thread. if there is one, please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: caspnx
2 Replies

9. Debian

How do i correct restart network-services in Debian?

Hello, I would like to do follow steps. Set a static IP-Adress on eth0 (For Testing) Set DHCP on eth0 All steps should be done without a single reboot. /etc/network/interfaces iface eth0 inet static address 192.0.2.7/24 gateway 192.0.2.254How do i perform... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: int3g3r
3 Replies
OTUS(4) 						   BSD Kernel Interfaces Manual 						   OTUS(4)

NAME
otus -- Atheros USB IEEE 802.11a/g/n wireless network device SYNOPSIS
otus* at uhub? port ? DESCRIPTION
The otus driver supports USB 2.0 wireless network devices based on Atheros Communications AR9001U chipset. The AR9001U chipset is made of an AR9170 MAC/Baseband and an AR9101 (1T2R), AR9102 (2T2R) or AR9104 (dual-band 2T2R) Radio. These are the modes the otus driver can operate in: BSS mode Also known as infrastructure mode, this is used when associating with an access point, through which all traffic passes. This mode is the default. monitor mode In this mode the driver is able to receive packets without associating with an access point. This disables the internal receive filter and enables the card to capture packets from networks which it wouldn't normally have access to, or to scan for access points. The otus driver can be configured to use Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) or Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA-PSK and WPA2-PSK). WPA is the de facto encryption standard for wireless networks. It is strongly recommended that WEP not be used as the sole mechanism to secure wireless communication, due to serious weaknesses in it. The otus driver can be configured at runtime with ifconfig(8) or on boot with ifconfig.if(5). FILES
The driver needs at least version 1.0 of the following firmware files, which are loaded when an interface is attached: /libdata/firmware/if_otus/otus-init /libdata/firmware/if_otus/otus-main Although these firmware files are freely redistributable, their usage is restricted. HARDWARE
The following adapters should work: Arcadyan WN7512 CACE AirPcap Nx D-Link DWA-130 rev D1 D-Link DWA-160 rev A1 D-Link DWA-160 rev A2 IO-Data WN-GDN/US2 NEC Aterm WL300NU-G Netgear WNDA3100 Netgear WN111 v2 Planex GW-US300 SMC SMCWUSB-N2 TP-Link TL-WN821N Ubiquiti SR71 USB Unex DNUA-81 Z-Com UB81 Z-Com UB82 ZyXEL NWD-271N EXAMPLES
The following ifconfig.if(5) example configures otus0 to join whatever network is available on boot, using WEP key ``0x1deadbeef1'', channel 11, obtaining an IP address using DHCP: nwkey 0x1deadbeef1 chan 11 dhcp Join an existing BSS network, ``my_net'': # ifconfig otus0 192.168.1.1 netmask 0xffffff00 nwid my_net To use WPA, see wpa_supplicant(8) and wpa_supplicant.conf(5). DIAGNOSTICS
otus%d: error %d, could not read firmware %s For some reason, the driver was unable to read the microcode file from the filesystem. The file might be missing or corrupted. otus%d: device timeout A frame dispatched to the hardware for transmission did not complete in time. The driver will reset the hardware. This should not happen. SEE ALSO
arp(4), ifmedia(4), netintro(4), usb(4), wpa_supplicant.conf(5), ifconfig(8), wpa_supplicant(8), Atheros Communications AR9001U-2NX/AR9001U-2NG/AR9001U-NG: http://www.atheros.com/pt/bulletins/AR9001USBBulletin.pdf HISTORY
The otus driver first appeared in OpenBSD 4.6. It was ported to NetBSD by Anon Ymous and first appeared in NetBSD 6.0. AUTHORS
The otus driver was written by Damien Bergamini <damien@openbsd.org> based on source code licensed under the ISC released in 2008 by Atheros Communications for Linux. CAVEATS
The AVM FRITZ!WLAN USB Stick N adapter is currently not supported. The otus driver does not support any of the 802.11n capabilities offered by the AR9001U chipset. Additional work is required in ieee80211(9) before those features can be supported. The otus driver also does not currently support EDCA as this is missing in the NetBSD network stack. The hooks for it are in the driver code. BSD
November 4, 2010 BSD