Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Including case insensitivity into loop command Post 302349977 by Corona688 on Wednesday 2nd of September 2009 12:03:01 PM
Old 09-02-2009
Why run cat dozens of separate times in a shell loop when you could just run it once with no loop at all? concatenating files is what cat is for. Smilie It can of course accept multiple arguments.

Code:
cat *.csv *.CSV >> $newfile

If you're worried about there being too many arguments for commandline parameters to handle, I don't think a loop will help, you'll need to use a pipe.
Code:
# ls -1, as in one, not L
ls -1 | grep -i '\.csv$' | xargs --no-run-if-empty cat >> $newfile

Last edited by Corona688; 09-02-2009 at 01:13 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

whats command for search including sub directory ?

What is the command for search the program name from the entire directory (all directories in the unix box, means including sub directories...) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gksenthilkumar
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

case loop... repeat on bad input?

I'm trying to get a case statement to start over if an undefined option is selected... But I am ata loss on how to actually do it. Here is a quick example of what I have. Echo "1) do this/n 2) Do that/n 3) Quit/n Make a selection/n" Read answer Case answer in 1) Dothid;; 2) Dothat;;... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: trey85stang
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to get File Timestamp including seconds [Aix 5.3]

Is there a command (like ls -l) to get the file time stamp including seconds? The ls -l gives only the HH:MM, No SS I don't have a C compiler to call stat() I don't a command like stat too. Please help. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: firdousamir
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

executing/including command in mailx subject line

Hi, Is it possible for me to include the results from a command in the subject line? What I am looking to do is get the file count and include it into the subject line as well as the list of files in the body. Example Subject line: Currently 25 files in directory My Code: #!/bin/ksh cd... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ozifer
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help With Loop in Case Statement script

I am writing a bash script that asks the user for input and I need it to repeat until the user selects quit.. I dont know how to write the loop for it I searched all over but i still do not get it.. if anyone could help with this it would be greatly apprciated here is my script so far: #!... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Emin_Em
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Case loop condition

hello, I would like to do exit at the end ie list all errors before exiting How to put the token exit in a variable with a loop ? Thanks function g1 () { case "$1" in (-0-0 | -0-1 | -0-2 | -0-3 | -1-0 | -1-1 | -1-2 | -1-3) # nothing, OK ! ;; (*) echo 'Fatal, $1 = '"'$1'"', Date... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: amazigh42
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Including variable in sort command

I have the following awk statement that computes rank of a column and sorts it based on rank. sort -k6 -n file | awk '$6 != prev { rank = NR }{ print $1, $6, rank ; prev = $6 }' I need the above code to accept variables for the column in the sort statement ("-k6"). Is there a better... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
6 Replies

8. Linux

How to use a case stmt in a for loop?

How can I merge the move statements with the "FOR" loop to do a move of a file right after it zips it and not wait until all of the files are zipped to move all outisde the for loop. Here is my current code: for file in `ls -rt $svdumpdir/* | grep -v '.gz$' | grep '.gtt$' ` do echo... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrn6430
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Case sensitive in If loop .

Hi All, select app from the menu: ABC DEF GHI JKL ALL # ALL will select all the apps in the menu echo "Enter your option" read option; if then <execute the below command> elif # option is the 1 selection from menu...not ALL <execute the below command> else (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devaraj A
14 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Including Hash / in sed command filter

Hello All, I want to print data in between two lines in a file sample.txt through more or cat command on the screen. For that I am using below sed command to give the BEGIN and END text. Content of sample.txt server01:~ # cat /proc/mdstat Hello this is a text message 1 Hello this is a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xtreme
5 Replies
gvfs-cat(1)							   User Commands						       gvfs-cat(1)

NAME
gvfs-cat - print a file to standard output using the VFS system SYNOPSIS
gvfs-cat URI DESCRIPTION
gvfs-cat prints a file to standard output using the virtual file system to access the file via a URI. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: URI Specifies the file location in standard URI format. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Cat a File From a Web Server example% gvfs-cat http://www.sun.com Example 2: Cat a Local File example% gvfs-cat file:///home/user/README.txt ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables: NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The exit value 0 is returned regardless of success or failure. FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gvfs-cat Executable to print a file to standard output using the VFS system ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-gvfs | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |Volatile | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
gvfs-copy(1), gvfs-info(1), gvfs-less(1), gvfs-ls(1), gvfs-mkdir(1) gvfs-monitor-dir(1), gvfs-monitor-file(1), gvfs-mount(1), gvfs-move(1), gvfs-rename(1), gvfs-open(1), gvfs-rm(1), gvfs-save(1), gvfs-trash(1), gvfs-tree(1), attributes(5), environ(5) NOTES
Written by Alvaro Lopez Ortega, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2008. SunOS 5.11 25 Mar 2008 gvfs-cat(1)