Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: echo in ksh sh & bash
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users echo in ksh sh & bash Post 302280739 by quirkasaurus on Tuesday 27th of January 2009 01:26:39 PM
Old 01-27-2009
Each shell command reads an environmental file before execution.

For sh, it's .profile
For ksh, it's the $ENV file.
For bash, it's the $BASH_ENV file.

For sh, the echo command is already /usr/bin/echo.

For ksh, you'll have to alias this command like so:

alias -x echo=/usr/bin/echo

or make it a function, I've seen aliases non-exported in some Solaris OS...

function echo
{
/usr/bin/echo $*
}

The same thing should work for bash.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Exactly How can we define "sh ksh csh &bash"

Hi - I m prashant. I m new in UNIX&LINUX world. I want to ask that how can we define the shell in Linux like bash,ksh,csh in Linux. What is the use of these shells. I know there are mny experts on net if you can tell me then please do me this favour and tell me about this topic. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prashantsingh
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

what is ksh equivalent of bash echo -n ?

Hi folks, I need to stop printing a new line after echoing a string in KSH. i know bash provides echo -n "string" what is the ksh equivalent for this ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mudhireddy
3 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

[[ $(date +%Y) == 2007 ]] && echo "Happy New Year"

Same as the Title! :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ripat
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Echo with ksh shell

Hi All, I'm trying to use the "echo" command in a korn shell script, and I want it to drop the trailing newline. Now I know that with the bash shell, the "-n" flag would solve this issue. Does anyone know how this can be done with the korn shell? Cheers Khoom (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Khoomfire
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash & Ksh loop problem

hi i was trying to optimize one script and i came across this problem .. i am putting some pseudo code here $ >cat a.sh ls | while read I do i=$(($i + 1)) done echo "total no of files : " $ >ksh a.sh total no of files : $ >bash a.sh total no of files : why is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zedex
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash & Ksh

I am using a Linux machine and it's default shell is BASH . I have korn shell script and inside it's setting environment variables. But after execuitng the script those env values are not holding the values . If I run the script outside of that ksh script with source a.sh , it's able to hold to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: talashil
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash & Ksh

I am using a Linux machine and it's default shell is BASH . I have korn shell script and inside it's setting environment variables. But after execuitng the script those env values are not holding the values . If I run the script outside of that ksh script with source a.sh , it's able to hold to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: talashil
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append && echo "success" to all commands

I am learning to build from SVN and other tools, with a lot of copying and pasting from forums. I like to append && echo "success" to all commands so that I can see at a glance if things went all right. Is there a way that I can have the bash shell append this to all commands? Thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dotancohen
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

combination between || and && in IF condition with ksh

Dear All, Please advice about this issue. when i run this line in a script if && || && || && if i enter $x = test3 and $y = test1 the If condition apply while it should not Best Regards (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: islam.said
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

\n in ksh using echo & printf

#!/usr/bin/ksh var1="Hi World" var2="Morning" var3=$(echo "$var1" \n "$var2") echo $var3 var3=$(printf "$var1 \n $var2") echo $var3 Output Any way to get in my $var3 ? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dahlia84
7 Replies
echo(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  echo(1B)

NAME
echo - echo arguments to standard output SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/echo [-n] [argument] DESCRIPTION
echo writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files and for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of envi- ronment variables. For example, you can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o echo your current-working-directory's full pathname o pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters o pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo "echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w" See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. The shells csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1), each have an echo built-in command, which, by default, will have precedence, and will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. /usr/ucb/echo and csh's echo() have an -n option, but do not understand back-slashed escape characters. sh's echo(), ksh's echo(), and /usr/bin/echo, on the other hand, understand the black-slashed escape characters, and ksh's echo() also understands a as the audible bell character; however, these commands do not have an -n option. OPTIONS
-n Do not add the NEWLINE to the output. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), echo(1), ksh(1), sh(1), tr(1), wc(1), attributes(5) NOTES
The -n option is a transition aid for BSD applications, and may not be supported in future releases. SunOS 5.11 3 Aug 1994 echo(1B)