Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Problem with the Characters!!! Post 302217702 by bakunin on Wednesday 23rd of July 2008 10:33:42 AM
Old 07-23-2008
With the additional information given it looks like there is a character encoding mismatch. Maybe the AIX side is using ISO-Latin-1 and the Windows side IBM-850 or something such?

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

problem with Unicode characters insertion

hi, I have a problem with unicode chars ( chinese, japanese etc ) insertion using sqlplus prompt. When i wrote a proc program for it i am able to create records. But when i fore the same query on sql prompt it stores reverse ????? ..some junk. widechar columns are mapped with NVARCHAR datatype.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: suman_jakkula
0 Replies

2. HP-UX

utf-8, problem with special characters

Hi all, We are facing the following problem in our HP-UX machine: software that manipulates utf-8 encoded strings (e.g. during string cut), fails to correctly manipulate strings (all containing Greek characters) that contain special characters like @, &, # etc. Actually, in different... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alina
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

special characters giving problem

Hi All, I have a CSV file in which some fields contains special character for ex:- my file is file 1 cat file1 abcd,bgfht,ngbht,abvc **** hdlld,hsgdt,bhfy,knht **** whenever i am trying to put a 4th feild in a variable its giving me list of all the files i have in current... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam25
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with reading characters

Hello, if I try this (in bash): #!/bin/bash cat leercaracter.sh | while read linea do # read character by character echo $linea | while read -n 1 caracter do echo $caracter done done New lines, spaces, tabs aren't showed by echo. How can I 'echo' those characters?... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: albertogarcia
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with Sed when repeating characters

Hi all, I'm learning sed (and regular expressions) - My first little program is to replace 3 numbers in a row with 'XXX' This is what I am trying: echo '511' | sed 's/{3}/XXX/' Here is the output: defunct-macbook-pro:~ defunct$ echo '511' | sed 's/{3}/XXX/' 511For some reason, it doesnt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Defunct
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Chinese / Global characters problem

Hello, I have large xml files with chinese characters on a windows box and they need to be FTP'd to UNIX box. When I ftp the file, the chinese text converts to junk characters. I tried changing my setting on putty to UTF-8, but still cannot view the correct text. Is there something I need to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tokool420
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with Output of escape characters

I'm trying to figure out a problem. I echo a colored block character with this code: echo -e '\E It works. But the challenge is echoing two different blocks with two different colors. I tried everything. Heres what i tried: echo -e '\E Doesn't work. It only echoes the first block.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tinman47
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with Special characters in file

Hi, I am facing a below problem. Inorder to mak sure the below file is fixed width i am using the following command awk '{printf("%-375s\n", $0) } so as to add trailing spaces at the end for records of length less than 375. Input file > inp.txt 1©1234 1234 123©1 The output file is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marcus_kosaman
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with special characters....

grep -i "$line,$opline" COMBO_JUNK|awk -F, ' { C4+=$4 } { } END { print C4 } ' OFS=,` when i run this command in the script.... it o/p all the value as 0 if $line contains any special parameters..... but the same script if i run in command prompt... it shows... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil jain
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Control characters -weird problem

I am using Korn shell on Linux 2.6x platform , and I am suing the following code to capture the lines which contain CONTROL CHARACTERS in my file : awk '/]/ {print NR}' EROLLMENT_INPUT.txt The problem is that this code shows the file has control characters when the file is in folder A ,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarjt
2 Replies
TCS(1)							      General Commands Manual							    TCS(1)

NAME
tcs - translate character sets SYNOPSIS
tcs [ -slcv ] [ -f ics ] [ -t ocs ] [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Tcs interprets the named file(s) (standard input default) as a stream of characters from the ics character set or format, converts them to runes, and then converts them into a stream of characters from the ocs character set or format on the standard output. The default value for ics and ocs is utf, the UTF encoding described in utf(6). The -l option lists the character sets known to tcs. Processing continues in the face of conversion errors (the -s option prevents reporting of these errors). The -c option forces the output to contain only cor- rectly converted characters; otherwise, 0x80 characters will be substituted for UTF encoding errors and 0xFFFD characters will substituted for unknown characters. The -v option generates various diagnostic and summary information on standard error, or makes the -l output more verbose. Tcs recognizes an ever changing list of character sets. In particular, it supports a variety of Russian and Japanese encodings. Some of the supported encodings are utf The Plan 9 UTF encoding, known by ISO as UTF-8 utf1 The deprecated original UTF encoding from ISO 10646 ascii 7-bit ASCII 8859-1 Latin-1 (Central European) 8859-2 Latin-2 (Czech .. Slovak) 8859-3 Latin-3 (Dutch .. Turkish) 8859-4 Latin-4 (Scandinavian) 8859-5 Part 5 (Cyrillic) 8859-6 Part 6 (Arabic) 8859-7 Part 7 (Greek) 8859-8 Part 8 (Hebrew) 8859-9 Latin-5 (Finnish .. Portuguese) koi8 KOI-8 (GOST 19769-74) jis-kanji ISO 2022-JP ujis EUC-JX: JIS 0208 ms-kanji Microsoft, or Shift-JIS jis (from only) guesses between ISO 2022-JP, EUC or Shift-Jis gb Chinese national standard (GB2312-80) big5 Big 5 (HKU version) unicode Unicode Standard 1.0 tis Thai character set plus ASCII (TIS 620-1986) msdos IBM PC: CP 437 atari Atari-ST character set EXAMPLES
tcs -f 8859-1 Convert 8859-1 (Latin-1) characters into UTF format. tcs -s -f jis Convert characters encoded in one of several shift JIS encodings into UTF format. Unknown Kanji will be converted into 0xFFFD char- acters. tcs -lv Print an up to date list of the supported character sets. SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/tcs SEE ALSO
ascii(1), rune(2), utf(6). TCS(1)