Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to retrieve required specific info from the file Post 302209168 by chihung on Thursday 26th of June 2008 04:34:35 AM
Old 06-26-2008
Basically you are trying to parse multi-line record.
See my blog for an example:
Chi Hung Chan: How to Parse Multiline in AWK

Below should do the job
Code:
$ cat d.sh
#! /bin/sh

if [ $# -ne 2 ]; then
        echo "Usage: $0 <input> <pattern>"
        exit 1
fi

awk '
BEGIN {
        RS=""
        FS="\n"
}
NR%2==1 && $1 ~ /\['$2'\]/ {
        getline
        print
}' $1

$ cat d.in
[2153]

ASRVSERV=1241GD;
BPCONN=avtr213;
OMGEO=FIET

[4324]

ASRVSERV=333TS;
BPCONN=AUTO1243;
OMGEO=TSAM

[4858]

ASRVSERV=345RE;
BPCONN=ABC123;
OMGEO=MSAM

[8888]

ASRVSERV=899AS;
BPCONN=CAR1234;
OMGEO=IAOS

[8912]

ASRVSERV=728WW;
BPCONN=POP1239;
OMGEO=JKAE

[1211]

ASRVSERV=999UI;
BPCONN=LOC1932;
OMGEO=UISE

$ ./d.sh d.in 4324
ASRVSERV=333TS;
BPCONN=AUTO1243;
OMGEO=TSAM

$ ./d.sh d.in 8912
ASRVSERV=728WW;
BPCONN=POP1239;
OMGEO=JKAE

$ ./d.sh d.in 1111

$

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Retrieve line from a file based on a value in specific column

Hi, I have a file that has several values seperated by ":" 2006:John:Student:Football:Portugal:Cinema 2006:James:Engineer:Basket:Poland:Theatre 2007:Lucy:Diver:Gymnastic:England:Music 2007:Smith:Plumber:Basket:Spain:Poker I need make a filter based on the 5th field to find countries that... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: efernandes
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

(cont) Retrieve line from a file based on a value in specific column

HI, Your help was great: awk -F":" '$5 ~ /^P/{print }' file I would like to know what changes need to be done to this line code, so that I can put it in a shell script and call it as the example below. example: countries that start with chacater 'P' > country P Result: ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: efernandes
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Required info on Pstack on solaris10

Hi All , I am wanted to know the #of thread ( Kernal & User ) created by the Process i was looking into the prstat PID USERNAME SIZE RSS STATE PRI NICE TIME CPU PROCESS/NLWP 994 httpd 126M 99M sleep 58 0 1:11.25 2.4% ns-httpd/33 997 httpd 114M 86M sleep 58 0 0:40.02 2.7% ns-httpd/22 995... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajendra44
0 Replies

4. Programming

How can i retrieve some specific lines from a file using C

Plz tel me how to retrieve some specific set of lines from a file and store it in a char buffer.I am seperating each record by ":" 22:abc:4 hardware:cd:xyz:2 hardware:eth:abc:6 hardware:mouse:xyz:3 hardware:ram:xyz:1 23:cde:3 hardware:cd:xyz:2 hardware:eth:abc:6 hardware:ram:xyz:1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vigneshinbox
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script required to extract a specific snippet from the entire file.

Hi, I have a file with the following structure. XXXXX........... YYYYY........... ................. .................. ZZZZZZ...... qwerty_start.............. .................. ................. .................. querty_end................ .............................. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abinash
1 Replies

6. Solaris

prstat info required

Hi, I issued the following command on my solaris 10 and got the following info. prstat -Z PID USERNAME SIZE RSS STATE PRI NICE TIME CPU PROCESS/NLWP 1344 oracle 4872M 2392M sleep 59 0 145:49:50 0.1% oracle/1 17523 oracle 3976K 3672K cpu18 59 0 0:00:04 0.1% prstat/1 1550 oracle 3276M... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: malikshahid85
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to retrieve a file from specific path using unix script?

Hi i'm new to shell script, i want to get the filename from specific location which i mentioned in my script. The scirpt should read the filename exactly using the following command "ls -ltr | tail -1". Could someone show me on this. Below is my script #!/bin/ksh PATH= /usr/ if then ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fresher
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script to get info from specific rows & columns (.xls file)

Hi all, I want to read some specific rows & columns in the .xls file with my script to get the data to be manipulated. Now, I can read the .xls file correctly & i can go to the specific sheet that I want but i have a problem to specify the specific rows & columns. I mean, I want to get the info... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yohannita
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help required deleting specific lines from file

Hi, I have a file with 20 columns of data and hundreds of lines of the same format. Here is an example line. The data repeats underneath with the same format. 15 1 4 GLY - 1 65 LYSH 23 N - 24 H - 634 O 0.188 157.552 487 48.70I have been sorting this data by hand but I was wondering if I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: livbaddeley
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to search a text in file and retrieve required lines following it with UNIX command?

I have requirement to search for a text in the file and retrieve required lines that is user defined with unix command. Eg: Find the text UNIX in the below file and need to return Test 8 & Test 9 Test 1 Test 2 Test 3 Test 4 UNIX Test 5 Test 6 Test 7 Test 8 Test 9 Result can... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arunkumarsak4
8 Replies
gvfs-cat(1)							   User Commands						       gvfs-cat(1)

NAME
gvfs-cat - print a file to standard output using the VFS system SYNOPSIS
gvfs-cat URI DESCRIPTION
gvfs-cat prints a file to standard output using the virtual file system to access the file via a URI. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: URI Specifies the file location in standard URI format. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Cat a File From a Web Server example% gvfs-cat http://www.sun.com Example 2: Cat a Local File example% gvfs-cat file:///home/user/README.txt ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables: NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The exit value 0 is returned regardless of success or failure. FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gvfs-cat Executable to print a file to standard output using the VFS system ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-gvfs | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |Volatile | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
gvfs-copy(1), gvfs-info(1), gvfs-less(1), gvfs-ls(1), gvfs-mkdir(1) gvfs-monitor-dir(1), gvfs-monitor-file(1), gvfs-mount(1), gvfs-move(1), gvfs-rename(1), gvfs-open(1), gvfs-rm(1), gvfs-save(1), gvfs-trash(1), gvfs-tree(1), attributes(5), environ(5) NOTES
Written by Alvaro Lopez Ortega, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2008. SunOS 5.11 25 Mar 2008 gvfs-cat(1)