Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Help required in developing an Editor. Post 302178457 by odys on Tuesday 25th of March 2008 02:20:27 PM
Old 03-25-2008
I would suggest starting with simplified code/data for
keeping text in memory. Maybe fixed array (requiring plenty of copying when inserting/deleting characters) or linked list
of buffers with pointers to previous and next lines.

Think of proper interface to this, suitable for further changing
to more efficient method.

Fortunately, with curses and fixed font width this is major
part of the program.
In my opinion the text editor can be a challenging project.
Situation gets even more complicated with X11 and proportional font handling.

If you like to see some code, I can suggest reading
sources of 'text' widget from Tcl/Tk library. This is quite clean code so maybe it could be useful.

Good luck.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can you help me regarding developing script?

Hi All, I want to develope this script. any help will be appreciated. It is possible to use two pipes and create two-way communication between two processes. (In practice, this is not done because sockets are available.) Create a program where the parent process reads the name of a language... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishalpatel03
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pasting text in VI editor from a different editor

Hi, I knw its a silly question, but am a newbie to 'vi' editor. I'm forced to use this, hence kindly help me with this question. How can i paste a chunk 'copied from' a different editor(gedit) in 'vi editor'? As i see, p & P options does work only within 'vi'. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: harishmitty
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

set EDITOR=vi -> default editor not setting for cron tab

Hi All, I am running a script , working very fine on cmd prompt. The problem is that when I open do crontab -e even after setting editor to vi by set EDITOR=vi it does not open a vi editor , rather it do as below..... ///////////////////////////////////////////////////// $ set... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aarora_98
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Developing own shell

Hi everyone.I am trying ti create my own shell in C.So far i have managed to create a parser to separate args from cmd line of my shell.(i have done nothing different for tokens is that wrong?).so i can run commands like "ls -l" "cp" "cat" etc.now i want to add redirection.can anyone guide me... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashuser2
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting required fields from a test file in required fromat in unix

My data is something like shown below. date1 date2 aaa bbbb ccccc date3 date4 dddd eeeeeee ffffffffff ggggg hh I want the output like this date1date2 aaa eeeeee I serached in the forum but didn't find the exact matching solution. Please help. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdhanek
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

developing a Kernel for old old Unix?

Hello all , My father has been running the last version of unix before all the liscensing began 20 or so years ago. In his particular field his programmer has written a great deal of software to work with this version. Emulating so newer computers could speak to the unix server as well. Im sure... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bill78
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in developing an awk code

#!/bin/ksh set -x FILENAME=$1 #To calculate debit and credit DEBIT=`awk -F, '{value=$28 ;if(value<0) {debit+=value}} END {print debit}' $FILENAME` CREDIT=`awk -F, '{value=$28 ;if(value>0) {credit+=value}} END {print credit}' $FILENAME` #This part is not working since the debit value is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: selvankj
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help for developing script

I want to develop a unix script. Scenario:A folder is containing many text files and there is one text file eg. test.csv which is having 2 words at line 1 & line 2.The script should search for word at line 1 in test.csv file in all other text file present in folder & replace it with word at line 2... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anna Cardoz
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with approach and developing script

Hi- I need to develop a script for following scenario in AIX and K shell environment.I am from windows server background for most my career ,so please bear with me and advise suitable approach and technical assistance.Having said that I am aware of unix shell commands but never pput together at... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nirasm
1 Replies

10. What is on Your Mind?

Developing Applications for UNIX.COM

A number of people have asked me about the best way to develop some cool new web app for UNIX.COM. In today's "very easy web dev" world, developers do not need to be burdened (like I am) to the "back end" of the site. The best way to develop web apps is to build the application on your desktop... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
2 Replies
pbmtext(1)						      General Commands Manual							pbmtext(1)

NAME
pbmtext - render text into a bitmap SYNOPSIS
pbmtext [-font fontfile] [-builtin fontname] [-space pixels] [-lspace pixels] [text] DESCRIPTION
Takes the specified text, either a single line from the command line or multiple lines from standard input, and renders it into a bitmap. In the bitmap, each line of input is a line of output. Formatting characters such as newline have no effect on the formatting; like any unprintable character, they turn into spaces. The bitmap is just wide enough for the longest line of text, plus margins, and just high enough to contain the lines of text, plus margins. The left and right margins are twice the width of the widest character in the font; the top and bottom margins are the height of the tallest character in the font. But if the text is only one line, all the margins are half of this. OPTIONS
-font,-builtin By default, pbmtext uses a built-in font called bdf (about a 10 point Times-Roman font). You can use a fixed width font by specify- ing -builtin fixed. You can also specify your own font with the -font flag. The fontfile is either a BDF file from the X window system or a PBM file. If the fontfile is a PBM file, it is created in a very specific way. In your window system of choice, display the following text in the desired (fixed-width) font: M ",/^_[`jpqy| M / !"#$%&'()*+ / < ,-./01234567 < > 89:;<=>?@ABC > @ DEFGHIJKLMNO @ _ PQRSTUVWXYZ[ _ { ]^_`abcdefg { } hijklmnopqrs } ~ tuvwxyz{|}~ ~ M ",/^_[`jpqy| M Do a screen grab or window dump of that text, using for instance xwd, xgrabsc, or screendump. Convert the result into a pbm file. If necessary, use pnmcut to remove everything except the text. Finally, run it through pnmcrop to make sure the edges are right up against the text. pbmtext can figure out the sizes and spacings from that. -space pixels Add pixels pixels of space between characters. This is in addition to whatever space surrounding characters is built into the font, which is usually enough to produce a reasonable string of text. pixels may be negative to crowd text together, but the author has not put much thought or testing into how this works in every pos- sible case, so it might cause disastrous results. -B -lspace pixels Add pixels pixels of space between lines. This is in addition to whatever space above and below characters is built into the font, which is usually enough to produce a reasonable line spacing. pixels must be a whole number. pixels may be negative to crowd lines together, but the author has not put much thought or testing into how this works in every pos- sible case, so it might cause disastrous results. USAGE
Often, you want to place text over another image. One way to do this is with ppmlabel. ppmlabel does not give you the font options that pbmtext does, though. Another way is to use pbmtext to create an image containing the text, then use pnmcomp to overlay the text image onto your base image. To make only the text (and not the entire rectangle containing it) cover the base image, you will need to give pnmcomp a mask, via its -alpha option. You can just use the text image itself as the mask, as long as you also specify the -invert option to pnmcomp. If you want to overlay colored text instead of black, just use ppmchange to change all black pixels to the color of your choice before overlaying the text image. But still use the original black and white image for the alpha mask. If you want the text at an angle, use pnmrotate on the text image (and alpha mask) before overlaying. SEE ALSO
pnmcut(1), pnmcrop(1), pnmcomp(1), ppmchange(1), pnmrotate(1), pbmtextps(1), ppmlabel(1), pbm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1993 by Jef Poskanzer and George Phillips 28 January 2001 pbmtext(1)