Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to grep a number in a file to find them in another file Post 302150575 by drl on Tuesday 11th of December 2007 08:51:24 PM
Old 12-11-2007
Hi, Jason.

That is why I asked you to provide the desired results -- to let us see what you need. An example is better than 1000 words, yes?
Code:
#!/usr/bin/env sh

# @(#) s2       Demonstrate a join, with file position added.

set -o nounset
echo

debug=":"
debug="echo"

## Use local command version for the commands in this demonstration.

echo "(Versions displayed with local utility \"version\")"
version >/dev/null 2>&1 && version bash my-nl join

echo
echo " Input files:"
cat data1
echo
cat data2
echo
cat -n data2 >data3
cat data3

echo
echo " Result of join:"
join -1 2 -2 2 data1 data3

exit 0

Code:
% ./s2

(Versions displayed with local utility "version")
GNU bash 2.05b.0
my-nl (local) 296
join (coreutils) 5.2.1

Input files:
aaa 107
bbb 108
ccc 109

101 2 1
102 3 1
107 2 1
108 3 1
109 2 1

1  101 2 1
     2  102 3 1
     3  107 2 1
     4  108 3 1
     5  109 2 1

Result of join:
107 aaa 3 2 1
108 bbb 4 3 1
109 ccc 5 2 1

cheers, drl

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to grep a number in a file name

Hi, I have multiple files where it starts with test1.c, test2.c,test3.c and so on. I would like to get each file separately to perform abstraction from these files. I tried something like:- for t in ./* filenumber=${t:4} # to cut the "test" in order to get the number cat... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahjiefreak
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find file grep it and print file name

i am trying to search a few hundred release note text files for a certain word. however when i use the below command i can find a file that contains it but i dont know the file name. how can i change this command to output the name of the file that grep was successful in? find builds -name... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: borderblaster
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find number of columns in a file

Hi all, may seem a very stupid question.but me stuck up in it for long.... How to find the number of columns in a ASCII file. EX:-Demo.lst songs 1 34 45 67 Number of columns should be 5. Regards, Anindya ;) (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul26
13 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

File find | xargs grep for pattern file

Folks I've been struggling this with for far too liong now and need your help! I've been happily using grep for a search of a directory, to list the files which contain a string: find . -type f -mtime -5 -print | xargs grep -l 'invoiceID=\"12345\"' Now the list of 'invoiceID' I am... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: daveaasmith
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use grep & find command to find references to a particular file

Hi all , I'm new to unix I have a checked project , there exists a file called xxx.config . now my task is to find all the files in the checked out project which references to this xxx.config file. how do i use grep or find command . (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gangam
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK-grep from line number to the end of file

Does anyone know how to use awk to act like grep from a particular line number to the end of file? I am using Solaris 10 and I don't have any GNU products installed. Say I want to print all occurrences of red starting at line 3 to the end of file. EXAMPLE FILE: red green red red... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thibodc
1 Replies

7. Programming

Find the number in the file

In my system , there are text files will be generated monthly , the file name begins with xxx , then year , month ( for example xxxxx201310.txt means Oct 2013 ) I have below command to count how many abc in the month , but it only count the number in this month . NUMBER=$(cat xxxxx201310.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ust
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep SQL output file for greater than number.

Hi, This is my first post. I have a korn shell script which outputs a select statment to a file. There is only one column and one row which contains a record count of the select statement. The select statement looks something like this: SELECT COUNT(some_field) AS "count_value" ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MurdocUK
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep pattern after specific line number in a file

Hi guys, I am running a while loop in a script ro read a file line by line. Now I want to run a grep only on the lines below the line I am that is being read by the while loop. Eg: If my while loop is on line 4 of the file, the grep only runs below line 4 and does not include line 1,2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep: Retrieve two strings from one file to find them anyone on line in another file

I am having trouble matching *two* strings from one file anywhere in a line of a second file, and could use some help getting this figured out. My preference would be to use grep for this because I would like to take advantage of its -A option. The latter is due to the fact that I would like both... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
2 Replies
echo(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  echo(1B)

NAME
echo - echo arguments to standard output SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/echo [-n] [argument] DESCRIPTION
echo writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files and for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of envi- ronment variables. For example, you can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o echo your current-working-directory's full pathname o pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters o pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo "echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w" See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. The shells csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1), each have an echo built-in command, which, by default, will have precedence, and will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. /usr/ucb/echo and csh's echo() have an -n option, but do not understand back-slashed escape characters. sh's echo(), ksh's echo(), and /usr/bin/echo, on the other hand, understand the black-slashed escape characters, and ksh's echo() also understands a as the audible bell character; however, these commands do not have an -n option. OPTIONS
-n Do not add the NEWLINE to the output. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), echo(1), ksh(1), sh(1), tr(1), wc(1), attributes(5) NOTES
The -n option is a transition aid for BSD applications, and may not be supported in future releases. SunOS 5.11 3 Aug 1994 echo(1B)