Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: A little help please
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting A little help please Post 302145561 by immyakram on Wednesday 14th of November 2007 03:56:46 PM
Old 11-14-2007
Thing is i understand evrything to that point but then when i get onto stuff liek testing with conditions - testing charachter data, testing numeric data and testing for files. Let me give you an example if you explain this little part would be great.

Although test is most often used for decision making, it can also be used on its own as follows

$ str1=abcd
$ test $str1 = abcd
$ echo $?

Note: unlike the variable assignment statement in the first line in the preceding example, the test command must have the equal sign surrounded by white space.

In this example, the shell sends three arguments to test. Strings must be equivalent in both length and character by character.

$ str1="abcd "
$ test "$str1" = abcd
$ echo
$?

streqvcmp(3)							Programmer's Manual						      streqvcmp(3)

NAME
streqvcmp - compare two strings with an equivalence mapping SYNOPSIS
#include <your-opts.h> cc [...] -o outfile infile.c -lopts [...] int streqvcmp(char const* str1, char const* str2); DESCRIPTION
Using a character mapping, two strings are compared for "equivalence". Each input character is mapped to a comparison character and the mapped-to characters are compared for the two NUL terminated input strings. This function name is mapped to option_streqvcmp so as to not conflict with the POSIX name space. str1 first string str2 second string RETURN VALUE
the difference between two differing characters ERRORS
none checked. Caller responsible for seg faults. SEE ALSO
The info documentation for the -lopts library. ao_string_tokenize(3), configFileLoad(3), optionFileLoad(3), optionFindNextValue(3), optionFindValue(3), optionFree(3), optionGetValue(3), optionLoadLine(3), optionMemberList(3), optionNextValue(3), optionOnlyUsage(3), optionProcess(3), optionRestore(3), optionSaveFile(3), optionSaveState(3), optionUnloadNested(3), optionVersion(3), strequate(3), streqvmap(3), strneqvcmp(3), strtransform(3), 2014-06-10 streqvcmp(3)