Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: nawk - file limits
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users nawk - file limits Post 302136196 by robotronic on Sunday 16th of September 2007 08:57:57 AM
Old 09-16-2007
After each write to a certain output file, you simply have to close the output file before writing to the next file. Otherwise, you will encounter the limit you said. For example:

Code:
echo | nawk '{
   print("test1") > "file1";
   close("file1");

print("test2") > "file2";
   close("file2");

print("test3") > "file3";
   close("file3");

print("testN") > "fileN";
   close("fileN");
}'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File Limits on Solaris 2.6

%ulimit -a nofiles(descriptors) 1024 This means that I can open up to 1024 file per process? But wonder if there is any hardlimit imposed by Solaris 2.6 (eg 255) ? By the way, is there any tool that can trace which files (or sockets) are opened by a process? Thanks DY (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: deaniyoer
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file number limits in Solaris 8

What is the kernel parameter ( or other) that sets the maximum number of open files by the o/s (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: blp001
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ulimit and /etc/security/limits file permission

Hi there, I am working on AIX and i dont have permission for /etc/security/limits file. In the man page of ulimit it is mentioned that it will get the limitations for me from /etc/security/limits file. the file permission for ulimit command is -r-xr-xr-x 15 bin bin ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: quintet
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Limits of FOR loop to go to end of File

Hi ALL:), I have a file for e.g. ajdflkj|dkj|djfj|go|123|4||||||||||||||89|101||||||||||||||| The length of file is not fixed. So wat the limits should be given in for loop to access till end of file???? Thanks in advance..... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohiiit.sharma
2 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

File size limits

I want to increase the file size, I am trying to store the output but it's not storing the whole output in to the file (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: navintsm
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

nawk --- can't open file ??

While i am trying to execute nawk in korn shell iam getting this error. nawk: can't open file $directory../../../filename. When the file is in home directory it is executing. But its not able to find file in other directory. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Diddy
2 Replies

7. HP-UX

HP-UX 10.20 file size limits?

Hi, I'm running HP-UX 10.20. Is there a 2GB file size limit? if so, can i change it? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabriel.560
3 Replies

8. Linux

Determining Values for NIce and Priority items in limits.conf file

I've been looking online trying to find the correct value nice and priority can take in the limits.conf file. ON the man page it says; Does this mean priority can be any negative number and any positive? Then Does this mean any number between -20 and 19 also what does the definition of nice... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: matthewfs
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nawk Problem - nawk out of space in tostring on

Hi.. i am running nawk scripts on solaris system to get records of file1 not in file2 and find duplicate records in a while with the following scripts -compare nawk 'NR==FNR{a++;next;} !a {print"line"FNR $0}' file1 file2duplicate - nawk '{a++}END{for(i in a){if(a-1)print i,a}}' file1in the middle... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abhiraj Singh
12 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Soft and hard limits for nproc value in /etc/security/limits.conf file (Linux )

OS version : RHEL 6.5 Below is an excerpt from /etc/security/limits.conf file for OS User named appusr in our server appusr soft nproc 2047 appusr hard nproc 16384 What will happen if appusr has already spawned 2047 processes and wants to spawn 2048th process ? I just want to know... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
3 Replies
CAT(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    CAT(1)

NAME
cat -- concatenate and print files SYNOPSIS
cat [-benstuv] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The cat utility reads files sequentially, writing them to the standard output. The file operands are processed in command-line order. If file is a single dash ('-') or absent, cat reads from the standard input. If file is a UNIX domain socket, cat connects to it and then reads it until EOF. This complements the UNIX domain binding capability available in inetd(8). The options are as follows: -b Number the non-blank output lines, starting at 1. -e Display non-printing characters (see the -v option), and display a dollar sign ('$') at the end of each line. -n Number the output lines, starting at 1. -s Squeeze multiple adjacent empty lines, causing the output to be single spaced. -t Display non-printing characters (see the -v option), and display tab characters as '^I'. -u The -u option guarantees that the output is unbuffered. -v Display non-printing characters so they are visible. Control characters print as '^X' for control-X; the delete character (octal 0177) prints as '^?'. Non-ASCII characters (with the high bit set) are printed as 'M-' (for meta) followed by the character for the low 7 bits. DIAGNOSTICS
The cat utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
The command: cat file1 will print the contents of file1 to the standard output. The command: cat file1 file2 > file3 will sequentially print the contents of file1 and file2 to the file file3, truncating file3 if it already exists. See the manual page for your shell (i.e., sh(1)) for more information on redirection. The command: cat file1 - file2 - file3 will print the contents of file1, print data it receives from the standard input until it receives an EOF ('^D') character, print the con- tents of file2, read and output contents of the standard input again, then finally output the contents of file3. Note that if the standard input referred to a file, the second dash on the command-line would have no effect, since the entire contents of the file would have already been read and printed by cat when it encountered the first '-' operand. SEE ALSO
head(1), more(1), pr(1), sh(1), tail(1), vis(1), zcat(1), setbuf(3) Rob Pike, "UNIX Style, or cat -v Considered Harmful", USENIX Summer Conference Proceedings, 1983. STANDARDS
The cat utility is compliant with the IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2'') specification. The flags [-benstv] are extensions to the specification. HISTORY
A cat utility appeared in Version 1 AT&T UNIX. Dennis Ritchie designed and wrote the first man page. It appears to have been cat(1). BUGS
Because of the shell language mechanism used to perform output redirection, the command ``cat file1 file2 > file1'' will cause the original data in file1 to be destroyed! BSD
September 15, 2001 BSD