Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory script to create multiple instances of a user account across LPAR's Post 302093497 by Just Ice on Thursday 19th of October 2006 10:42:06 PM
Old 10-19-2006
if the LPARs are on different servers with their own authentication mechanisms, yes it is required unless they can all authenticate through a centralized mechanism (i.e., NIS+ or LDAP) ...

if the LPARs are on 1 server, the user account requirement may be for each database ... but that would depend on how the databases are setup ... some might not require it ...

as for automation, there are a few out there that you can use --- we just use NIS+ where I work so I can't say too much for the 3rd party software ...

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

create or modify user account to have same access as root

Is there a way to create or better yet modify a user account so it has the same privs as root? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: xadamz23
6 Replies

2. Solaris

How to create a new ftp user account with limited access..?

Hi All, I'm using solaris 2.8, and I want create a new ftp user account with the following restrictions: - Have only ftp access, no telnet or rlogin - Have restricted access to its home directory example /export/home/newuser - Deny access to any other directory. Thanks for your help, ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jeremy3
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a Shell script to create Multiple User Accounts

Hi All, Am New to shell scripting , Can u please Help me to Create a shell script which Creates Multiple Users (say up to 250 users) ,am using Rehat server 5 enterprise Edition .. I am really in need of this script So tat i can save time and effort for this Job .. KIndly help me Please ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rksubash
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple instances of the job in shell script.

Hi, Please let us know how to create a multiple instances of a job in the shell script. Thanks. Gangegowda K.G (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gangegowda
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create new user account and password in shell script

I am trying to create a shell script that will: check if a specific user already exists if not, create a specific group and create the user in that group assign a password to that user, where the password is passed in as a parameter to the script The problem that I need help with is 3 on... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: killuane
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to have delay in multiple instances of the same shell script

Hello, My goal is to run the same Shell script in a parallel mode. This script will get triggered from different machines and different application teams by some job scheduling tool. They may trigger the process at the same time. so I want to have them in QUEUE ..and release them for execution on... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chetan_sonar
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Help me create new user account

I want create user. That user should be login to any server without asking password. How? tell me in detail. :wall: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Navkreddy
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run multiple instances of shell script in linux?

How we can run the multiple instances of the script? I need to run the script which I am calling from the below function.I can doit with cron but I don't want to put it in the cron.This cript dploy the build and here I want when the build stage then it should run with multilpe instances of... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragpgtgerman
6 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Create a shell script to gather user account information and displays the result to administrator

I want to create a shell script to gather user account information and displays the result to administrator. I have created a script but its showing all the information when i search for username like: amit@mx:~$ ./uinfo.sh amit Username : amit User Info ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit1986
2 Replies
PASSWD(5)							File Formats Manual							 PASSWD(5)

NAME
passwd - password files DESCRIPTION
Passwd files are files consisting of newline separated records, one per user, containing ten colon (``:'') separated fields. These fields are as follows: name user's login name password user's encrypted password uid user's id gid user's login group id class user's general classification (unused) change password change time expire account expiration time gecos general information about the user home_dir user's home directory shell user's login shell The name field is the login used to access the computer account, and the uid field is the number associated with it. They should both be unique across the system (and often across a group of systems) since they control file access. While it is possible to have multiple entries with identical login names and/or identical user id's, it is usually a mistake to do so. Routines that manipulate these files will often return only one of the multiple entries, and that one by random selection. The login name must never begin with a hyphen (``-''); also, it is strongly suggested that neither upper-case characters or dots (``.'') be part of the name, as this tends to confuse mailers. No field may contain a colon (``:'') as this has been used historically to separate the fields in the user database. The password field is the encrypted form of the password. If the password field is empty, no password will be required to gain access to the machine. This is almost invariably a mistake. Because these files contain the encrypted user passwords, they should not be readable by anyone without appropriate privileges. The group field is the group that the user will be placed in upon login. Since this system supports multiple groups (see groups(1)) this field currently has little special meaning. The class field is currently unused. In the near future it will be a key to a termcap(5) style database of user attributes. The change field is the number in seconds, GMT, from the epoch, until the password for the account must be changed. This field may be left empty to turn off the password aging feature. The expire field is the number in seconds, GMT, from the epoch, until the account expires. This field may be left empty to turn off the account aging feature. The gecos field normally contains comma (``,'') separated subfields as follows: name user's full name office user's office number wphone user's work phone number hphone user's home phone number This information is used by the finger(1) program. The user's home directory is the full UNIX path name where the user will be placed on login. The shell field is the command interpreter the user prefers. If the shell field is empty, the Bourne shell (/bin/sh) is assumed. SEE ALSO
chpass(1), login(1), passwd(1), getpwent(3), mkpasswd(8), vipw(8) adduser(8) BUGS
User information should (and eventually will) be stored elsewhere. 7th Edition May 8, 1989 PASSWD(5)