Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting -s option to find object exists not working. Post 302093281 by markjason on Wednesday 18th of October 2006 10:59:24 AM
Old 10-18-2006
-s option to find object exists not working.

is there a direct command to find whether directory is empty, -s option doesn't seem to work.

Mark.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Does "gzip" have a no prompt option on it for overwriting if file exists?

So I dont enounter things like: gzip: /sometimename.gz already exists; do you wish to overwrite (y or n)? Want to add it into a script and if there is a file aready there to just overwrite it, otherwise the script will hang unless there is manual intervention. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: LordJezo
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

-d option not working...

:confused: In the following, when I enter a valid, existing directory,why am I getting Not Found when the Dir DOES exist? read auser echo "You entered $auser" wait 2 cd /home if then echo "Dir Exists" sleep 2 else echo "/home/$auser Not Found" sleep... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rgouette
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

find string object

I have strings like "$AEUT_BIN/aeutut02.ksh $IFS_MACHINE $AEFA_CONTROL $MVS_CONTROL" I am looking for a way to find out how to obtain aeutut02.ksh from the above mentioned string in unix shell script. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: phoenixV007
1 Replies

4. HP-UX

who command option not working

Running HP 11.31 on a HP3600. But when I log in as a user the who command works but if I use an option like "who -m" I get nothing. Any thoughts on what is causing this problem. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: KMRWHUNTER
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

daystart option not working in find command

Hi, I am trying to list all the files created / modified today in a directory. With reference to this thread, https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/20324-capture-all-today-files.html I have used the below command to list all the files modified today. find . -daystart -type f... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumarmc
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

recently introduced to the newer option for find...does an older option exist?

To find all the files in your home directory that have been edited in some way since the last tar file, use this command: find . -newer backup.tar.gz Is anyone familiar with an older solution? looking to identify files older then 15mins across several directories. thanks, manny (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr_manny
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

~c is not working properly with -r option

Hi There, --------- file1 ------- ~c asd@ac.com -------------- Now i am using below command cat file1|mailx -s " testing" -r " My Name" abc@tech.com (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tapan Sharma
3 Replies

8. AIX

SQLPLUS -S option not working

Hi All, I am using the following script to run some sql on database but i am not getting the result. When i tried the same by removing "-s" option it is working fine but getting other things as well with my input as shown below. Can anyone please suggest why "-s" option is not working in AIX and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssk250
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Maxdepth option of find command not working

Can you please figure out what is the issue here $ find . -maxdepth 1 -type f -size 0 -print find: bad option -maxdepth please find the OS details $ uname -a HP-UX g5u1216 B.11.31 U ia64 2614088426 unlimited-user license Use code tags, thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: TomG
6 Replies

10. Programming

Oracle simple SQL query result in: ORA-08103: object no longer exists

Dear community, please help with a query on Oracle. I'm using SQLPlus (but with SQLDeveloper is the same) to accamplish a sinple query like: select count(*) from ARCHIT_D_TB where (TYP_ID=22 OR TYP_ID=23) and SUB_TM like '%SEP%' and CONS=1234This is a very simple query that works perfect until... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lord Spectre
5 Replies
PIDOF(8)						Linux System Administrator's Manual						  PIDOF(8)

NAME
pidof -- find the process ID of a running program. SYNOPSIS
pidof [-s] [-c] [-n] [-x] [-o omitpid[,omitpid..]] [-o omitpid[,omitpid..]..] program [program..] DESCRIPTION
Pidof finds the process id's (pids) of the named programs. It prints those id's on the standard output. This program is on some systems used in run-level change scripts, especially when the system has a System-V like rc structure. In that case these scripts are located in /etc/rc?.d, where ? is the runlevel. If the system has a start-stop-daemon (8) program that should be used instead. OPTIONS
-s Single shot - this instructs the program to only return one pid. -c Only return process ids that are running with the same root directory. This option is ignored for non-root users, as they will be unable to check the current root directory of processes they do not own. -n Avoid stat(2) system function call on all binaries which are located on network based file systems like NFS. Instead of using this option the the variable PIDOF_NETFS may be set and exported. -x Scripts too - this causes the program to also return process id's of shells running the named scripts. -o omitpid Tells pidof to omit processes with that process id. The special pid %PPID can be used to name the parent process of the pidof pro- gram, in other words the calling shell or shell script. EXIT STATUS
0 At least one program was found with the requested name. 1 No program was found with the requested name. NOTES
pidof is actually the same program as killall5; the program behaves according to the name under which it is called. When pidof is invoked with a full pathname to the program it should find the pid of, it is reasonably safe. Otherwise it is possible that it returns pids of running programs that happen to have the same name as the program you're after but are actually other programs. Note that that the executable name of running processes is calculated with readlink(2), so symbolic links to executables will also match. SEE ALSO
shutdown(8), init(8), halt(8), reboot(8), killall5(8) AUTHOR
Miquel van Smoorenburg, miquels@cistron.nl 01 Sep 1998 PIDOF(8)