Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers help installing fedora core 5 Post 302076982 by cbkihong on Saturday 17th of June 2006 08:45:41 PM
Old 06-17-2006
Try cycle through the virtual consoles by Ctrl-Alt-F1/F2/... and so on. Some messages will be written to some of the consoles so you may check whether some errors have been detected.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Migrate from RH 8.0 to Fedora Core 2

I have done some research on the Fedora Project and trying to find clear cut answer on how to migrate from current OS - RH 8.0 Pro to Fedora Core 2. Can anybody help me with this and does Fedora Core 2 include OpenOffice and Ximian Evolution like with my RH 8.0 Pro. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mark McWilliams
3 Replies

2. Linux

Using Fedora Core 2

I've been using FC2, but my sound card doesn't work I'm new with linux systems.. but there says that needs to recompile kernel how can i do it with a kernel 2.6.5 i386 ? by the way,. my sound card chipset is an ESS 1869F, with a compaq deskpro Smal Form Factor. but i have not found a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Quake
4 Replies

3. Linux

being probed Fedora core 2

Lucky me...someone's trying to hack into my mythtv box through ssh. Can I make a policy or something similar to refuse connections from a specific IP after a certain amount of failed logins? attached is some of the output from /var/log/messages (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
2 Replies

4. Linux

installing Fedora Core 3 - is it always this hard?

Hiya all RE: My previous post on installing FC-3. on a more serious note.... Is it always this much of a pain to install? Or do I have a knackered CD drive? (When it did the Cd scan at the start of the install - all 4 scanned fine 1st time tho....) Please advise... as I'm thinking... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: marty 600
3 Replies

5. Linux

Trying to install Fedora Core 3...

Hiya all, Hope you can help. I keep getting the same Error message when I try to install. I have tried several different Diskettes. And I finally ordered CDs from "FASTDISCs". The install "disc Checks" passed fine on these. The error: "The package usbitils-0.11.6.1 cannot be opened. ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: marty 600
8 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing Fedora Core 4

Hello, I am about to install Fedora on a partition on my hard drive. I got the CD from a magazine and it isnt a LiveCD so the magazine says "fedora core installer isn't a LiveCD, so it will merrily destroy your primary partition when you install on your machine", now I'm guessing the primary... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ArkNia
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

fedora core mailrelay

how do i change the mailrelay settings smtp for fedora core 4 to a new IP ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dannyd
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Installing Fedora Core 2 Problems

I am very new at learning Linux/Unix so please bear with me. I am taking a Unix course and I had to install Fedora Core 2 on my laptop PC using Microsoft Virtual PC software. After installing the virtual PC software, I installed the fedora cd's that came with the course. My problem is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Newby
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

installing mrouted in fedora core

hello; i'm trying to install mrouted-3.9b3-1.i386.rpm in my fedora core 5. but, when i execute the rpm i always have an error message like "this file is no a rpm package"!!!!! can anyone help me? thanks:confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jalil smail
1 Replies

10. Linux

mysql in fedora core 4

hi i dont know much about linux but my boss gave me a job to backup all the mysql database and tables from fedora core4 running as web/database server. i can enter in fedora using remote desktop from my laptop but after that i am unable to do anything. if any one can help me in finding mysql and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: obstinate
3 Replies
CONSOLE(4)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							CONSOLE(4)

NAME
console - console terminal and virtual consoles DESCRIPTION
A Linux system has up to 63 virtual consoles (character devices with major number 4 and minor number 1 to 63), usually called /dev/ttyn with 1 <= n <= 63. The current console is also addressed by /dev/console or /dev/tty0, the character device with major number 4 and minor number 0. The device files /dev/* are usually created using the script MAKEDEV, or using mknod(1), usually with mode 0622 and owner root.tty. Before kernel version 1.1.54 the number of virtual consoles was compiled into the kernel (in tty.h: #define NR_CONSOLES 8) and could be changed by editing and recompiling. Since version 1.1.54 virtual consoles are created on the fly, as soon as they are needed. Common ways to start a process on a console are: (a) tell init(1) (in inittab(5)) to start a mingetty(8) (or agetty(8)) on the console; (b) ask openvt(1) to start a process on the console; (c) start X--it will find the first unused console, and display its output there. (There is also the ancient doshell(8).) Common ways to switch consoles are: (a) use Alt+Fn or Ctrl+Alt+Fn to switch to console n; AltGr+Fn might bring you to console n+12 [here Alt and AltGr refer to the left and right Alt keys, respectively]; (b) use Alt+RightArrow or Alt+LeftArrow to cycle through the presently allocated consoles; (c) use the program chvt(1). (The key mapping is user settable, see loadkeys(1); the above mentioned key combinations are according to the default settings.) The command deallocvt(1) (formerly disalloc) will free the memory taken by the screen buffers for consoles that no longer have any associ- ated process. Properties Consoles carry a lot of state. I hope to document that some other time. The most important fact is that the consoles simulate vt100 ter- minals. In particular, a console is reset to the initial state by printing the two characters ESC c. All escape sequences can be found in console_codes(4). FILES
/dev/console /dev/tty* SEE ALSO
chvt(1), deallocvt(1), init(1), loadkeys(1), mknod(1), openvt(1), console_codes(4), console_ioctl(4), tty(4), ttyS(4), charsets(7), agetty(8), mapscrn(8), mingetty(8), resizecons(8), setfont(8) Linux 1994-10-31 CONSOLE(4)