Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Numbering
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Numbering Post 22643 by epdgesell on Friday 7th of June 2002 12:23:00 AM
Old 06-07-2002
Just make sure you move backwards from the hightst number to the lowest. If you change 1 to 2 before changing 2 to 3 all three files will have the same data.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

numbering of process

:confused: How does UNIX handle the numbering of processes? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tweety111
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Numbering!

Just a shot question... how to make 1,2,3,...999 into the form of 001,002,003....999 (3 digits) Thanks.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: biglemon
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

numbering blanks

hello i'm trying to figure out how to number a blank line. For instance this : sed '/./=' file | sed '/./N; s/\n/ /' gives me 1 aaaa 2 bbbbbb 4 cccccc 5 ffkkkfff 6 ffsdfdfs I would like something like this: 1 aaaaa 2 3 bbbbbb 4 5 cccccc And so... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisher115
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Numbering Lines

Hello everyone, I want get numbered lines from a file. and i can do it with: sed = file.txt | sed "/./N; s/\n/ /" | sed -n "5,7p" but the output that i get is something similar to: 5 line5 6 line6 7 line7 and i want something like this (with 2points after the number): 5:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibra
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Numbering duplicates

Hi, I have this large file and sometimes there are duplicates and I want to basically find them and figure how many there are. So I have a file with multiple columns and the last column (9) has the duplicates. eg. yan tar tar man ban tan tub tub tub Basically what I want to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kylle345
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Numbering the rows

If I a list of components, is there anyway to number (like automatically have: 1,2,3,...) the rows of my data? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cosmologist
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with numbering a file

Hi, All I need to do is number a file. The file looks like this > JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ > JKJKJKKKKKKJJJ > MMMMYKKKJKKK what I want to do is number it so that theres a numerical value beside the >. >1 JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ >2 JKJKJKKKKKKJJJ (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kylle345
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Incremental numbering?

Would it be possible for a script to duplicate a file and incrementally number it? File in: XXX_007_0580_xxxx_v0016.aep File out: XXX_007_0580_xxxx_v0017.aep If someone knows of a way I'd love to see it. Thanks! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: scribling
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sequential numbering from 1 to ten

Hi I am in a bind, I need create a script that will rename files as they come into a folder with sequential numbering at the begining starting at 1 and proceeding to ten then starting at 1 again. Such as 1_filename.pdf, 2_filename.pdf, 3_filename.pdf, 4_filename.pdf, 5_filename.pdf, 6_filename.pdf,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Paul Walker
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Numbering by field

I'm not really sure how to explain this but I will try. In the attached file if $4=$4 and $5="-" then the last record is 1 and the one above that is 2, etc... However, $4=$4 and $5="-" then the first record is 1 and the one below that is 2, etc... "-" example: chr10 90694830 90695123... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
7 Replies
gvfs-move(1)							   User Commands						      gvfs-move(1)

NAME
gvfs-move - move a file from one VFS location to another SYNOPSIS
gvfs-move source-URI destination-URI DESCRIPTION
gvfs-move moves a file from one URI location to another, using the virtual file system. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: source-URI Specifies the source file location in standard URI format. destination-URI Specifies the destination file or directory location in standard URI format. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Moving a File From a Web Server to a Local File example% gvfs-move http://www.sun.com file:///home/user/index.html ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables: NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The exit value 0 is returned regardless of success or failure. FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gvfs-move Executable to move a file from one VFS location to another ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-gvfs | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |Volatile | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
gvfs-cat(1), gvfs-copy(1), gvfs-rename(1), gvfs-info(1), gvfs-less(1), gvfs-ls(1), gvfs-mkdir(1) gvfs-monitor-dir(1), gvfs-monitor-file(1), gvfs-mount(1), gvfs-copy(1), gvfs-open(1), gvfs-rm(1), gvfs-save(1), gvfs-trash(1), gvfs-tree(1), attributes(5), environ(5) NOTES
Written by Alvaro Lopez Ortega, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2008. SunOS 5.11 25 Mar 2008 gvfs-move(1)