Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: UNIX CGI script
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers UNIX CGI script Post 10245 by TioTony on Saturday 10th of November 2001 01:32:24 AM
Old 11-10-2001
I went to the URL and it appears to be working fine. Have you already fixed it?

If not, I think it may be a combo of problems between the lines:

name1=`echo $slice|cut -d+ -f1`
name2=`echo $slice|cut -d+ -f2`
name3=`echo $slice|cut -d+ -f3`
name4=`echo $slice|cut -d+ -f4`
name5=`echo $slice|cut -d+ -f5`
name6=`echo $slice|cut -d+ -f6`

and the $? = "0"

I think if you are doing a cut -f6 but you did not feed it a 6th name, name6 will be set to nothing. When you do a who | grep > /dev/null, this may return 0 on some systems because it runs but does not produce output. I tried on Sun and actually got a return code of 2 plus a STDERR about the correct usage of grep. You could simply add a test to the loop that checks to see if $name != "". If it doesn't, then process the username, otherwise just exit because you know if name3 is blank, name4,5, and 6 are aswell.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HTML-CGI on Unix

AAAHHH!! I've made a perl program that you can run on a web browser. This program needs to be run everyday, and I don't want to have to run it everyday. The problem is when I try running the program from my terminal, all it does is print stuff to the terminal page (the program involves a lot of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sstevens
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

CGI passing arrays/hashes to another CGI script

If I have a Perl CGI script (script01), which fills an array(s) with information and outputs a HTML page with a link to another CGI page (script02); is there anyway to pass the array(s) from "script01" to "script02" when the page visitor clicks the link? Hope that makes sense! :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: WIntellect
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to share CGI Scripts across UNIX web server?

Hi, is it possible to create a CGI folder somewhere on the server and allow all domains on that server be able to access the scripts? I tried a ScriptAlias addition in httpd.conf but still no luck. Would greatly appreciate any tips! Thanks. Linux version 2.4.20-021stab028.3.777-enterprise Plesk... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karlsworld
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to share CGI Scripts across UNIX web server?

Hi, is it possible to create a CGI folder somewhere on the server and allow all domains on that server be able to access the scripts? I tried a ScriptAlias addition in httpd.conf but still no luck. Would greatly appreciate any tips! Thanks. Linux version 2.4.20-021stab028.3.777-enterprise Plesk... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: karlsworld
5 Replies

5. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

CGI execution problem on Unix

Hello everyone, I have developed a cgi application on windows. i have created a folder in webapps of tomcat, within that a WEB-INF folder and in that cgi folder. This cgi folder contains one executable. The web.xml is as follows: <servlet> <servlet-name>cgi</servlet-name> ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Preeti_t
2 Replies

6. Web Development

cgi script and external UNIX commands (like swadm)

Hi, I am trying to implement a server monitoring dashboard using cgi scripting. I am planning to run the necessary unix scripts from the web page using cgi. This method works fine for standard unix commands but I am unable to run some external unix commands (like swadm show_processes, swadm... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: jofinjoseph
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execution problem unix commands in Perl CGI

I am trying to run SSH , mkdir and other unix commands using Perl CGI. But i am not able to Execute these commands. Please help me out !!!! SSH and mkdir is necessity for me. I will be thankful to you...!!!!! I am trying like: In perl CGI file i am writing like: @list = `ssh... (28 Replies)
Discussion started by: Navrattan Bansa
28 Replies

8. Web Development

problem with exporting vairable from one perl cgi to another perl cgi script while redirecting.

Can anyone tell me how to export a variable from one perl CGI script to another perl cgi script when using a redirect. Upon running the login.pl the user is prompted to enter user name and password. Upon entering the correct credentials (admin/admin) the user is redirected to welcome page. My... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arun_Linux
3 Replies

9. Programming

CGI Perl script to execute bash script- unable to create folder

Hi I have a bash script which takes parameters sh /tmp/gdg.sh -b BASE-NAME -n 1 -s /source/data -p /dest/data/archive -m ARC gdg.sh will scan the /source/data and will move the contents to /dest/data/archive after passing through some filters. Its working superb from bash I have... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshkumar
0 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl cgi pages out of cgi-bin folder in WINDOWS

Hi team, I have a typical problem with cgi pages in apache webserver in WINDOWS I am able to execute(display) the pages that are saved in cgi-bin folder. But I am not able to execute the pages stored in htdocs or other folder other than cgi-bin folder. Could anyone please let me know how... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scriptscript
1 Replies
cut(1)								   User Commands							    cut(1)

NAME
cut - cut out selected fields of each line of a file SYNOPSIS
cut -b list [-n] [file]... cut -c list [file]... cut -f list [-d delim] [-s] [file]... DESCRIPTION
Use the cut utility to cut out columns from a table or fields from each line of a file; in data base parlance, it implements the projection of a relation. The fields as specified by list can be fixed length, that is, character positions as on a punched card (-c option) or the length can vary from line to line and be marked with a field delimiter character like TAB (-f option). cut can be used as a filter. Either the -b, -c, or -f option must be specified. Use grep(1) to make horizontal ``cuts'' (by context) through a file, or paste(1) to put files together column-wise (that is, horizontally). To reorder columns in a table, use cut and paste. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: list A comma-separated or blank-character-separated list of integer field numbers (in increasing order), with optional - to indi- cate ranges (for instance, 1,4,7; 1-3,8; -5,10 (short for 1-5,10); or 3- (short for third through last field)). -b list The list following -b specifies byte positions (for instance, -b1-72 would pass the first 72 bytes of each line). When -b and -n are used together, list is adjusted so that no multi-byte character is split. -c list The list following -c specifies character positions (for instance, -c1-72 would pass the first 72 characters of each line). -d delim The character following -d is the field delimiter (-f option only). Default is tab. Space or other characters with special meaning to the shell must be quoted. delim can be a multi-byte character. -f list The list following -f is a list of fields assumed to be separated in the file by a delimiter character (see -d ); for instance, -f1,7 copies the first and seventh field only. Lines with no field delimiters will be passed through intact (useful for table subheadings), unless -s is specified. -n Do not split characters. When -b list and -n are used together, list is adjusted so that no multi-byte character is split. -s Suppresses lines with no delimiter characters in case of -f option. Unless specified, lines with no delimiters will be passed through untouched. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file A path name of an input file. If no file operands are specified, or if a file operand is -, the standard input will be used. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of cut when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte (2^31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1 Mapping user IDs A mapping of user IDs to names follows: example% cut -d: -f1,5 /etc/passwd Example 2 Setting current login name To set name to current login name: example$ name=`who am i | cut -f1 -d' '` ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of cut: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All input files were output successfully. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
grep(1), paste(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) DIAGNOSTICS
cut: -n may only be used with -b cut: -d may only be used with -f cut: -s may only be used with -f cut: cannot open <file> Either file cannot be read or does not exist. If multiple files are present, processing continues. cut: no delimiter specified Missing delim on -d option. cut: invalid delimiter cut: no list specified Missing list on -b, -c, or -f option. cut: invalid range specifier cut: too many ranges specified cut: range must be increasing cut: invalid character in range cut: internal error processing input cut: invalid multibyte character cut: unable to allocate enough memory SunOS 5.11 29 Apr 1999 cut(1)