Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Just starting my Solaris 10 upgrade - Need Help Post 102420 by RTM on Friday 17th of March 2006 02:37:57 PM
Old 03-17-2006
Insure you are putting the errors exactly as received (start with the command you type in to boot).

If the system is showing

can't open boot device

then it may not be able to open the cd (or the burn to ISO format didn't work)

The next message doesn't make sense since it is showing disk:a - was that what you were attempting to boot from or the cd? If you still have Solaris 8 on the server, boot it and double check the cd is working - more than likely the burn didn't take correctly and the server is then picking the default boot device (disk:a) to boot from.

Boot device: disk:a File and args:

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Solaris 9 to Solaris 10 upgrade on Sun Fire 3800

Hello there! I have Sun Fire 3800 with very old Solaris 9 and I need to perform upgrade to concurrent Solaris 10 version, preserving current OS configuration. I supose to make it using Live Upgrade, but according to Solaris Live Upgrade Software: Minimum Patch Requirements page, I need to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sapfeer
5 Replies

2. Solaris

Starting X on Solaris 11?

Hi friends, Hope everyone is fine and doing well. I have just installed Solaris 11, and everytime I boot my machine, I face the command prompt. Could you please tell me how I can setup the graphical environment, like gnome kde etc.??? Thanks in advance! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabam
5 Replies

3. Solaris

Upgrade Solaris 11.1 to Solaris 11.2 beta?

Ive googled a bit, but could not find out how to upgrade to Solaris 11.2 beta, using the IPS package manager. Does anyone know how to do it? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kebabbert
4 Replies
pkg2du(1M)						  System Administration Commands						pkg2du(1M)

NAME
pkg2du - convert driver packages to Driver Update format SYNOPSIS
/usr/bin/pkg2du [-f] [-v] [-d dir] [-o iso] [-l label] [-r release] pkg [pkg ...] DESCRIPTION
The /usr/bin/pkg2du utility takes one or more packages as input and converts them to Driver Update (DU) format. If the -d option is speci- fied, the resulting DU directory tree is placed in the directory dir. If the -o option is specified, a Solaris ISO image of the DU direc- tory tree is written in the file iso. The ISO image can be burned onto CD/DVD using cdrw(1) or cdrecord(1) (not a SunOS man page) and used during Solaris installation. At least one of the -d and -o options must be specified. If both are specified, then both an ISO image and a directory tree are generated. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -d dir Directory where the DU directory should be created. -o iso Create a Solaris ISO image of the DU directory. -f If dir/DU or iso exists, remove it without asking first. -l label Label/volume name of the ISO image (if -o option is specified). -r release Solaris release number to use. It takes the form of the return from uname -r command, for example, 5.10. If unspecified, the release number of the currently running Solaris is used. -v Verbose. Multiple -v options increase verbosity. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: pkg [pkg...] One or more packages to be converted to DU format. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Creating a DU CD/DVD The following commands create a DU CD or DVD containing packages SUNWfoo and SUNWbar. # /usr/bin/pkg2du -r 5.10 -o my.iso SUNWfoo SUNWbar # /usr/bin/cdrw -i my.iso ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Committed | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cdrw(1), mkcd(1M), attributes(5) mkisofs(8), (/usr/share/man/man8/mkisofs.8), in the SUNWfsman package (not a SunOS man page) SunOS 5.11 29 Jul 2008 pkg2du(1M)