Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Permissions issues
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Permissions issues Post 98739 by Perderabo on Friday 10th of February 2006 12:39:59 PM
Old 02-10-2006
Deleting a file requires write permission on the directory that contains it. But overwriting a file needs write permission on the file itself. See Unix File Permissions

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

permissions

I saved a perl code in xemacs. I used an xterminal to execute it but unix said that I don't have permission. I saved the files in my home directory. How do I change the permission. This is hat unix said: -ksh: ./names.pl: cannot execute (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lnatz
5 Replies

2. HP-UX

To give the "unzip" permissions & "create" file permissions

Hi, I am a Unix Admin. I have to give the permissions to a user for creating new file in a directory in HP-Ux 11.11 system since he cannot able to create a new file in the directory. Thanks in advance. Mike (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mike1234
3 Replies

3. Red Hat

Issues with LDAP user/group permissions on NFS share

I can't seem to make sense of this. $ cat /etc/redhat-release Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.2 Beta (Tikanga) $ $ mount /dev/sda2 on / type ext3 (rw) proc on /proc type proc (rw) sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw) devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620) /dev/sda1 on... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dfinn
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Permissions Issues FTP server

Hi all, Quick question, im going to find this a bit hard to explain but ill give it a go. Basically i have an admin account on an FTP server that i want to be able to control ALL files without having to use sudo (as i need to run cron scripts to move files that are owned by a number of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mokachoka
2 Replies

5. OS X (Apple)

Wordpress & Git, urgent permissions issues, need help...

Heya, So I recently upgraded my MacBook to a solid state drive, during the re-install of Snow Leopard I chose to abandon MAMP and use the built in Apache & PHP and in doing so moved my ~/Sites to /Library/WebServer/Documents from a Time Machine backup. During this transition the permissions... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: s3w47m88
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh; Change file permissions, update file, change permissions back?

Hi, I am creating a ksh script to search for a string of text inside files within a directory tree. Some of these file are going to be read/execute only. I know to use chmod to change the permissions of the file, but I want to preserve the original permissions after writing to the file. How can I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: right_coaster
3 Replies

7. Solaris

Help regarding permissions

Hi I have following directory : => ls -ltr total 0 drwxrwxr-x 2 wmdwhadm dba 8192 Apr 02 23:22 in-process/ => id wmdwhadm uid=210(wmdwhadm) gid=1(staff) groups=251(cogadmin) My first question is although directory belong to dba group, then why "id wmdwhadm" command doesn't... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ankit_203
3 Replies

8. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Web Server/Permissions issues.

I do not know if this is the correct place to post this, and I have tried to trawl through relevant articles to fix the issue, but I am stumped. I have a server, log as root. var/www is root:root var/www/website-one is root:root var/www/website-one/neosmart-stream is root:root This... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: LightCastle
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Help with permissions

i am trying to write a simple script to move files from one folder to another and when i try to run the script i get permission errors. I am still new to all of this and permissions still confuse me. Can anyone shed some light? I have attached screenshots of my script in the middle. (which i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kcrist84
3 Replies
RM(1)							      General Commands Manual							     RM(1)

NAME
rm, rmdir - remove (unlink) files SYNOPSIS
rm [ -fri ] file ... rmdir dir ... DESCRIPTION
Rm removes the entries for one or more files from a directory. If an entry was the last link to the file, the file is destroyed. Removal of a file requires write permission in its directory, but neither read nor write permission on the file itself. If a file has no write permission and the standard input is a terminal, its permissions are printed and a line is read from the standard input. If that line begins with `y' the file is deleted, otherwise the file remains. No questions are asked when the -f (force) option is given. If a designated file is a directory, an error comment is printed unless the optional argument -r has been used. In that case, rm recur- sively deletes the entire contents of the specified directory, and the directory itself. If the -i (interactive) option is in effect, rm asks whether to delete each file, and, under -r, whether to examine each directory. Rmdir removes entries for the named directories, which must be empty. SEE ALSO
unlink(2) DIAGNOSTICS
Generally self-explanatory. It is forbidden to remove the file `..' merely to avoid the antisocial consequences of inadvertently doing something like `rm -r .*'. RM(1)