Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers syntax error at line 33: `elif` unexpected Post 98619 by tmarikle on Thursday 9th of February 2006 01:15:31 PM
Old 02-09-2006
Yes, and there should be a "then" after "elif test $option = d".

Since the OP is trying to lear the constructs, it's much better to start small and add more.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

sh: syntax error at line 1: `>' unexpected

I compiled C program under SUN OS sparcv9 ...I had a problem related to SIGBUS which has been resolved by adding an option to the CC compiler which is memory alignement option ..-memalign=1i as I remmber ...after running the program I got the below error please let me KNow more details what should... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: atiato
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

interface_file_ff.sh[99]: syntax error at line 1 : `)' unexpected

Hi, I tried to execute the following code but it showed the output mobile number : 35353425 corr plan id : 13-may-2008 corr target : 551 active_dt : 23414 no ident : IDD action name: A To get the subscriber number for the given mobile number and check if it is active and not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: geekforu
1 Replies

3. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

line 3: syntax error near unexpected token `('

Hi All I've used UNIX in the past experimenting with commands through terminal but thats about it. Im now currently teaching myself "C". Using a book from the library, the first chapter asks you run and compile your program from a command-line prompt. As you will see the program is very simple,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: camzio
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

syntax error at line 28: `(' unexpected

hi can anyone pls look into this....shell script... Pls find the error below: > sh -n tmp tmp: syntax error at line 28: `(' unexpected isql -Usa -S$1 -P`grep $1 dbpassword|cut -d ":" -f3` -w2000 -b<<! set nocount on declare @i int declare @dbname char(6) declare @tmp int if... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajashekar.y
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

syntax error at line 8: `(' unexpected

Hi I am having a shell script load_data.sh which calls /home/users/project/.profile. When am executing the script, am getting below error: $sh -x bin/load_data.sh null + . /home/users/project/.profile bin/load_data.sh: syntax error at line 8: `(' unexpected The line which is throwing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: brijesh.dixit
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

syntax error near unexpected token `elif'

what is wrong with the below script: --------------------------------------------------------------------------------- #!/bin/bash echo "Setting JrePath..." grep -w "export JrePath" /etc/profile Export_Status=$? if echo "JrePath declared" elif echo "JrePath not declared" echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syntax error at line 14: `gw_user=' unexpected

Masters, i iam writing a script (dont have much experience in the process of learning) which handles file copy to multiple servers and users for deployment purpose. Below is the snippet. When ever i run i get syntax error but it works fine on another machine. Please help me out. if then... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ameyrk
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syntax error near unexpected token 'elif'

Solaris 10 This is my script: #!/bin/bash #Script to print number of users and print list of them NO=`awk < /etc/passwd -F: '{ print $1 }' | wc -l` echo There are $NO users on system. echo "Do you want me to list them? (y or n):" read YORN if ] awk < /etc/passwd -F: '{ print $1 }'... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaustubh
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Syntax error at line 24: `(' unexpected

Hi, I am getting an wired error.... the script is running fine when i run it manually... but the same when i try to run in nohup mode, i am getting error if Error: syntax error at line 24: `(' unexpected The above if is the 24th line!!! I dont understand the error... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nithz
4 Replies

10. Programming

Sh: -c: line 0: syntax error near unexpected token `(' how to resolve this

Below query is not working for me. Please help me on this DATA EXCLUDE STATEMENT: TABLE:\"LIKE \'%\_HISTORY\'\", TABLE:\"LIKE \'%\_HIST\'\", TABLE:\"in \(select tname from tab where REGEXP_LIKE(TNAME,\'\_H$\'\))\", TABLE:\"LIKE \'%\_LOG\'\", TABLE:\"LIKE \'DW\_%\'\", TABLE:\"LIKE... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: princy
1 Replies
echo(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  echo(1B)

NAME
echo - echo arguments to standard output SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/echo [-n] [argument] DESCRIPTION
echo writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files and for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of envi- ronment variables. For example, you can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o echo your current-working-directory's full pathname o pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters o pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo "echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w" See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. The shells csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1), each have an echo built-in command, which, by default, will have precedence, and will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. /usr/ucb/echo and csh's echo() have an -n option, but do not understand back-slashed escape characters. sh's echo(), ksh's echo(), and /usr/bin/echo, on the other hand, understand the black-slashed escape characters, and ksh's echo() also understands a as the audible bell character; however, these commands do not have an -n option. OPTIONS
-n Do not add the NEWLINE to the output. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), echo(1), ksh(1), sh(1), tr(1), wc(1), attributes(5) NOTES
The -n option is a transition aid for BSD applications, and may not be supported in future releases. SunOS 5.11 3 Aug 1994 echo(1B)