Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Generating a list of choices in a menu Post 94978 by sysera on Thursday 5th of January 2006 09:15:24 AM
Old 01-05-2006
Generating a list of choices in a menu

Hello all,

I have the below script and I'm a little stuck on the best way to continue.

Essentially I'm creating a text file (systems.txt) with a list of servers in it by hostname. Then I would like to echo a menu with each hostname and a number to use to pick it from the list. It's somehow associating the number with the hostname that is confusing me.

Here is my code:

#!/bin/bash
clear
COUNT=0
SYSTEMS=`cat systems.txt`

while [ "$CHOICE" != "q" ]
do

for SYSTEM in $SYSTEMS

do
COUNT=`expr $COUNT + 1`

echo "$COUNT. $SYSTEM"
done

echo ""
echo "Please choose."
echo ""
read CHOICE

COUNT=0
clear

done

What I have so far example:

1. host1
2. host2
3. host3

Please choose.

What I'd like example:

1. host1
2. host2
3. host3

Please choose.

You picked host3!

The hostnames are not always host* of course, so I can't use that as a convention for the script to know which server I mean.

Any help would be awesome. Thanks guys. Smilie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating menu list from configuration file

Hi folks, I have the following function ,which generates menu for installation type: select_install_type() { echo echo ======================================== echo Please select the type of installation: echo ======================================== ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: nir_s
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

reappearing menu list using select

is there a way I can make the menu list reappear when I use select ? ----- menulist="Change_title Remove_tag Change_tag Add_line Quit" select word in $menulist #change_title remove_tag change_tag add_line quit do case $word in # first menu option Change Title ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: forever_49ers
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using a list menu as a variable

Hi again I have the follwing - cat ~/ABCFILE | grep "$SYSTEM" | grep "$USERNAME" What I'm looking to do is have the variable for $SYSTEM determined by the user making a selection from a numbered list. So, input 1 would be system ABC etc. I'm very puzzled as to how to go about this? Any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Great Uncle Kip
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Menu list in Unix csh - command not found

Hello, im taking a class of Unix and i dont really know much about it, im trying to create a list of menu a user would select from and im very lost. Basically it will have 5 options, the user will chose from: 1. list files in the pwd 2. display date and time 3. is the file file or directory 4.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: morava
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

generating the variable list for WHILE READ statement at runtime

Hi, I am reading the contents of a file in variables as - cat ${var_file_name} | while read COL1 COL2 COL3 COL4 COL5 COL6 COL7 COL8 COL9 COL10 COL11 The problem is ... my file can have any number of columns - 5, 10, 11 .... So i want a dynamic variable list as - cat ${var_file_name} |... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: gopalss
8 Replies

6. Red Hat

Menu system for terminal like Putty for host /ip list

Is there a way to create a menu in Gnome terminal to have a list of hosts with ip's like in Putty on Windows? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jlouki01
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in create menu with 3 sub menu using the case command

hi all i am a newbie to this is there any examples on creating a main menu with 3 sub menu main menu -> option a , b and c a menu -> option 1 ,2 and 3 b menu -> option 1 ,2 c menu -> option 1 ,2 i am getting headache as my code kept getting unexpected EOF ---------- Post... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chercm
0 Replies

8. Programming

Listing Option Menu Choices from Text File

Hello, I am starting up a tool and one of the initial steps is to select a site/location which is being read from a text file. Here is the text file contents: site1 site2 site3 Here is the code: #!/usr/bin/python from Tkinter import * (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tattoostreet
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Gnome 3.28.3 menu item dissapears under the system menu

I installed CentOS 8 with Gnome 3.28.2 and I noticed that the "switch user" menu item disappeared from under the system menu of Gnome classic (Both X11 & Wayland). I checked google and this problem seems to have a history going back several releases of Gnome. Unfortunately, I never found a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bodisha
1 Replies
ypset(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  ypset(8)

NAME
ypset - bind ypbind to a particular NIS server SYNOPSYS
ypset [ -d domain ] [ -h hostname ] server DESCRIPTION
In order to run ypset, ypbind must be initiated with the -ypset or -ypsetme options. See ypbind(8). ypset tells ypbind to get NIS ser- vices for the specified domain from the ypserv(8) process running on server. In cases where several hosts on the local net are supplying NIS services, it is possible for ypbind to rebind to another host even while you attempt to find out if the ypset operation succeeded. For example, you can type: example% ypset host1 example% ypwhich host2 which can be confusing. This is a function of the NIS subsystem's attempt to know always a running NIS server, and occurs when host1 does not respond to ypbind because it is not running ypserv (or is overloaded), and host2, running ypserv, gets the binding. Server indicates the NIS server to bind to, and must be specified as a name or an IP address. This will work only if the node has a cur- rent valid binding for the domain in question, and ypbind has been set to allow use of ypset. In most cases, server should be specified as an IP address. OPTIONS
-d domain Specify a domain other than the default domain as returned by domainname(1). -h hostname Set the NIS binding on host hostname instead of the local machine. SEE ALSO
domainname(8), ypbind(8), ypcat(8), ypmatch(1), ypserv(8), yppoll(8), ypwhich(1) AUTHOR
ypset is part of the yp-tools package, which was written by Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk@suse.de>. YP Tools 2.7 May 1998 ypset(8)