Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Storage hardware - advice needed Post 90633 by frustrated1 on Thursday 24th of November 2005 04:03:10 PM
Old 11-24-2005
Storage hardware - advice needed

I realise this is an odd request - but I need advice please..

I have two server - in different geographical locations..
The have 2 local 72gb disks which are mirrored. I need to get storage added to increase both to 300gb in total each and this needs to be mirrored in case of failure. The servers are sun fire v240's which only allow for 4 disks in total..

I have 6k budget. Any ideas? Do i need to buy an array for both servers with the extra disks.. if so any ideas how I do this with only 6k?

any advice appreciated --- I am in a jam...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

programming advice needed....

i'm a grad student taking a UNIX course and a networks course (i have a background in C++ and JAVA). i'm trying to combine the two classes. My questions stems from a networks programming homework assignment below: "Using the operating system and language of your choice, develop a program to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: trostycp
5 Replies

2. Solaris

Using San storage - advice needed

Thinking of using our San for network backups.. Have a Netra 240 being installed and planning to get some space on our San. Do you know what software is used to access the San from my server or what I would need to do? I know how to connect to local storage, disk arrays etc but not sure what... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

'for' loop advice needed ....!!

/usr/sbin/ifconfig -a | grep "inet" | grep -v "inet6" | grep -v "127.0.0.1" | grep -v "0.0.0.0"|grep -v "192.168.100.2" | awk '{print $2}' I use above command to get IP addresses on AIX boxes.Values coming here are set to a variable "Host IPs.IP Addresses" in my fingerprinting engine. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ak835
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

'for' loop advice needed....!!

Scenario: Command used to capture IPs on a host: /usr/sbin/ifconfig -a | grep "inet" | egrep -v "inet6|0.0.0.0|192.168.100.2" | awk '{print $2}' Following for loop used to capture interface names: for INTERFACE in `/usr/sbin/ifconfig -a | nawk '$1 ~ /:$/ && $1 {sub(":$", "", $1); print... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ak835
3 Replies

5. Linux

Scripting advice needed

Evening all, Im trying to get a script that will: Select the most 3 recent files in a specific directory Run a command on them (like chmod) Ask of you would like to continue Copy the files to another directory If a linux guru could help me out, it would be very much appreciated. Thanks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wiggins
2 Replies

6. Hardware

Hardware issue advice

Hi all, I've got an issue with my PC and was wondering what you thought might be the issue. The problem manifests it'self in two ways (at least I'm assuming it's related). 1. I turn the power on at the wall and press the on button, but nothing happens. I have to wait for several seconds to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DougyC
3 Replies

7. Hardware

Hardware compatibility advice wanted.

If anyone here is successfully running Linux Mint and PC-BSD on two dedicated hard disk drives, (no emulator or partitioning stuff), using Phenom II or Athlon II CPU, I'd like to ask your help to pick hardware! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Varsel
5 Replies

8. Solaris

Solaris Study Advice Needed

I just have a question regarding learning Solaris, I have a Linux and AIX background and I would like to learn Solaris, I have been giving some Solaris 10 Study Guides and just wondered how relevant they would be to Solaris 11 or should I try and get some study materials which are targeted towards... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: markmorris182mx
1 Replies

9. AIX

AIX Hardware Migration w/ HACMP...Advice Needed

Hello Everyone, Hope you all are doing great! As you can see by the title on top, we are in the process of migrating alot of our servers from Power5 (physical) to Power8 (Virtual). Now it's turn for servers with HACMP Cluster on it. Let me lay out the environment like: OLD ENVIRONMENT: ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: uzair_rock
12 Replies

10. Red Hat

Advice on allocating SAN storage to a virtual database server on VMware

I am relatively new to Linux and we are getting ready to convert our current oracle database servers from the AIX platform to RHEL7 servers on VMWare. I would appreciate any advice on how best to allocate storage to these machines. I plan on using LVM to maintain the disks/filesystems but am... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dkmartin
9 Replies
vgmove(1M)																vgmove(1M)

NAME
vgmove - move data from an old set of disks in a volume group to a new set of disks SYNOPSIS
autobackup] diskmapfile vg_name autobackup] diskfile diskmapfile vg_name DESCRIPTION
The command migrates data from the existing set of disks in a volume group to a new set of disks. After the command completes successfully, the new set of disks will belong to the same volume group. The command is intended to migrate data on a volume group from old storage to new storage. The diskmapfile specifies the list of source disks to move data from, and the list of destination disks to move data to. The user may choose to list only a subset of the existing physical volumes in the volume group that need to be migrated to a new set of disks. The format of the diskmapfile file is shown below: source_pv_1 destination_pv_1_1 destination_pv_1_2 .... source_pv_2 destination_pv_2_1 destination_pv_2_2 .... .... source_pv_n destination_pv_n_1 destination_pv_n_2 .... If a destination disk is not already part of the volume group, it will be added using see vgextend(1M). Upon successful completion of the source disk will be automatically removed from the volume group using see vgreduce(1M). After successful migration, the destination disks are added to the LVM configuration files; namely, or The source disks along with their alternate links are removed from the LVM configuration files. A sample diskmapfile is shown below: /dev/disk/disk1 /dev/disk/disk51 /dev/disk/disk52 /dev/disk/disk2 /dev/disk/disk51 /dev/disk/disk3 /dev/disk/disk53 The diskmapfile can be manually created, or it can be automatically generated using the diskfile and diskmapfile options. The argument diskfile contains a list of destination disks, one per line such as the sample file below: /dev/disk/disk51 /dev/disk/disk52 /dev/disk/disk53 When the option is given, reads a list of destination disks from diskfile, generates the source to destination mapping, and saves it to diskmapfile. The volume group must be activated before running the command. If the command is interrupted before it completes, the volume group is in the same state it was at the beginning of the command. The migration can be continued by running the command with the same options and disk mapping file. Options and Arguments The command recognizes the following options and arguments: vg_name The path name of the volume group. Set automatic backup for this invocation of autobackup can have one of the following values: Automatically back up configuration changes made to the volume group. This is the default. After this command executes, the command is executed for the volume group; see vgcfgbackup(1M). Do not back up configuration changes this time. Specify the name of the file containing the source to destination disk mapping. If the option is also given, will generate the disk mapping and save it to this filename. (Note that if the diskmapfile already exists, the file will be overwritten). Otherwise, will perform the data migration using this diskmapfile. Specify the name of the file containing the list of destination disks. This option is used with the option to generate the diskmapfile. When the option is used, no volume group data is moved. Preview the actions to be taken but do not move any volume group data. Shared Volume Group Considerations For volume group version 1.0 and 2.0, cannot be used if the volume group is activated in shared mode. For volume groups version 2.1 (or higher), can be performed when activated in either shared, exclusive, or standalone mode. Note that the daemon must be running on all the nodes sharing a volume group activated in shared mode. See lvmpud(1M). When a node wants to share the volume group, the user must first execute a if physical volumes were moved in or out of the volume group at the time the volume group was not activated on that node. LVM shared mode is currently only available in Serviceguard clusters. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the language in which messages are displayed. If is not specified or is null, it defaults to "C" (see lang(5)). If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, all internationalization variables default to "C" (see environ(5)). EXAMPLES
Move data in volume group from to After the migration, remove from the volume group: Generate a source to destination disk map file for where the destination disks are and SEE ALSO
lvmpud(1M), pvmove(1M), vgcfgbackup(1M), vgcfgrestore(1M), vgextend(1M), vgreduce(1M), intro(7), lvm(7). vgmove(1M)