Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Restoring a file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Restoring a file Post 88915 by Abhishek Ghose on Thursday 10th of November 2005 01:09:17 AM
Old 11-10-2005
Not sure about you requirements, but are you taking care of these things:

(a) the recycle bin should ideally be able to store multiple files with same names (see the RecycleBin on Windows)

(b) If I understand right you are trying to store "pwd" as the location where the file will be finally restored. Careful here, because while using the rm command I can specify a pathname myself. i.e. being in the directory "/home" I can delete a file like this "rm /home/user10/testfile.txt". Obviously you dont want to restore testfile.txt to "/home"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Restoring a file from Tape

help please i have "inherited" a Sco Server (the administrator departed in a hurry...yes we are chasing him..) and haven't used Unix for 8 years. i have a file that i need to retrieve from a tape. i have been able to find the file on tape using the cpio -ivt command. however... the problem I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mfischer
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Restoring a single file...???

Can anyone please help...? Managed to do a ufsdump of files to tape. Having trouble using ufsrestore to pull a single file back by filename?? I have dumped a single file to tape also because looking through the other threads, I noticed that you have to tell it to skip files before you get to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Jonathan
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Restoring TAR'd file to different location

Is it possible to restore a TAR'ed file off of a tape to a location other than the original location? If so, how? (The MAN pages give examples of how to restore only to the originating location.) Thanks!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: FredSmith
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Blocksize problem restoring file from tape

I was recently given the responsibility of the unix box at our work. Without much training, I now have to go back and restore a file from tape. I'm having some trouble with it. I'm getting an error with the blocksize. The part of the script that does the tar looks like this: tar cvfX... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: citrowske
11 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Restoring back a deleted file in unix.

Hi, Can any one tell me how to restore back the deleted file in unix? I know the file name. If i know the inode number of the file does help more to restore back the file? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

restoring file to its default location...

Hello everyone, I am new to unix shell. I have a file called Path.txt....and i have data in that as 1 abhi 2 avi 3 ash so on..... 1 ,2 ,3 is the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AbhijitIT
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

Issues restoring a large dump file

Post deleted. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nobody_knows_me
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Restoring a file to its original location

Hello everyone, I am attempting to make a recycling bin type application in shell script (tcsh). I have the whole part of the application done where someone can recycle files from one location to the recycling bin (the lower half of the program), this is not a problem. However I wanted to make... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tastybrownies
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Restoring deleted file with rm -rf

Is there a way I could recover a deleted text file with "rm -rf" command. Running CentOS 6.5. Thank you. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: galford
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

CentOS7 restoring file capabilities

Quite an obscure question I think. We have a rebuild process for remote sites that allows us to PXE rebuild a till (actually a PC with a touch screen and various fancy bits) running CentOS. The current CentOS5 tills work just fine with a tar image restore and some personalisation. Sadly,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbatte1
4 Replies
gedit(1)							   User Commands							  gedit(1)

NAME
gnome-text-editor, gedit - Text Editor for the GNOME desktop. SYNOPSIS
gnome-text-editor | gedit [--encoding=encoding] [--new-document] [--new-window] [+[num]] [gnome-std-options] [filename] DESCRIPTION
gedit or gnome-text-editor is the official text editor of the GNOME desktop environment. While aiming at simplicity and ease of use, gedit is a powerful general purpose text editor. It can be used to create and edit all kinds of text files. Multiple documents can be edited at the same time. Each document resides in a specific tabbed section of the application win- dow. gedit features a flexible plugin system which can be used to dynamically add new advanced features to gedit itself. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: --encoding=encoding Set the character encoding to be used to open the files listed on the command line. --new-document Create a new top-level document or tabbed section in an existing instance of gedit. --new-window Create a new top-level window in an existing instance of gedit. +[num] For the first file, go to the line specified by num (do not insert a space between the "+" sign and the number). If num is missing, go to the last line. gnome-std-options Standard options available for use with most GNOME applications. See gnome-std-options(5) for more information. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: filename The name of the image file to edit. EXTENDED DESCRIPTION
The gedit application accepts pipes, so you can specify a pipe after another command, to load the output of the command into gedit. For example: example% ls -l | gedit EXAMPLES
Example 1: To Edit an ASCII File Named document.txt example% gedit document.txt Example 2: To Add a New Tab That Contains an ASCII File Named book.txt example% gedit --new-document book.txt Example 3: To Add a New Top-Level Window That Contains an ASCII File Named testfile.txt example% gedit --new-window testfile.txt EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Application exited successfully. >0 An error occurred. FILES
The following files are used by this application: /usr/bin/gedit The executable file for the gnome-text-editor application. /usr/bin/gnome-text-editor A symbolic link to the gedit executable file. /usr/lib/gedit/plugins Location of gedit plugins. /usr/share/gtk-doc/html/gedit Location of developer documentation for writing a gedit plugin. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWgnome-text-editor | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface stability |Volatile | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
libgtksourceview-1.0(3), attributes(5), gnome-std-options(5) Online Help gedit manual. NOTES
This man page was written by the following people: Paolo Maggi, Paolo Borelli, Chema Celorio, James Willcox, Federico Mena Quintero. Updated by Brian Cameron, Sun Microsystems Inc., 2003, 2004, 2006. SunOS 5.11 31 Aug 2004 gedit(1)