Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Field identification starting from the right Post 80369 by vgersh99 on Sunday 7th of August 2005 01:38:39 AM
Old 08-07-2005
Code:
RestOf=`echo '/a/b/c/d' | sed 's#\(.*\)/.*#\1#'`

you might consider looking into dirname/basename

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

file identification

Can anyone identify what this file is for? 241436 Dec 17 16:29 dtdbcache_:0 Is it necessary? My system is at 94% and I am trying to clean / directory as much as possible. Any other files I can set to dev/null besides messages, and the wtmp and wtmpx? Please and Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mnsalazar
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

version identification

Hi Which command do i use to know which version of solaris am i working on?? thanks in advance regards (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: knopix
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ip identification

how can i find my own ip address from unix. command like who -x .this would provide all the ip address but i need to list only current user ip address. who am i command does not display the ip. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naushad
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file identification

Can anybody tell me what are these files are and what do they do and if they are safe to delete. Thanks /var/cache/yum/base # ls -al total 44792 drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Sep 22 11:43 . drwxr-xr-x 10 root root 4096 Nov 18 2007 .. -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 Sep 22... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcraul
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove field starting with * and #

Hi i have file with data: abc,*xyz,#abc 123,#123,1234 *123,#123,abc So i want to remove only fields starting with * and # and i want output as: abc,, 123,,1234 ,,abc Please suggest something Thanks Sumit (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumit207
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

file identification

hi there, i have written the following simple lines: find $SCENE -name "*.xml" echo -n "Input the name of the image file to be read: " set im_name = ($<) i like to set the value for im_name automatically to the .xml, which was found by the first line without having to input it. the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: friend
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

parameter identification problem

Hello everyone suppose i have a script which can take any no. of parameters and in any order then how can i identify a particular parameter at which position it is entered suppose i call a script with four parameter ./abc.sh a b c d in above calling a is called at no. 1... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aishsimplesweet
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

iNode Usage Identification

Hi My SunOS alps 5.10 Generic_125100-05 sun4v sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-T200 appears to have reached 100% util on its iNodes. # df -F ufs -o i Filesystem iused ifree %iused Mounted on /dev/md/dsk/d0 4857202 14 100% / /dev/md/dsk/d20 1040 630640 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rob171171
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select only the lines of a file starting with a field which is matcing a list. awk?

Hello I have a large file1 which has many events like "2014010420" and following lines under each event that start with text . It has this form: 2014010420 num --- --- num .... NTE num num --- num... EFA num num --- num ... LASW num num --- num... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: phaethon
9 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to grep a line not starting with # from a file (there are two lines starting with # and normal)?

e.g. File name: File.txt cat File.txt Result: #INBOUND_QUEUE=FAQ1 INBOUND_QUEUE=FAQ2 I want to get the value for one which is not commented out. Thanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tanu
3 Replies
BASENAME(3)								 1							       BASENAME(3)

basename - Returns trailing name component of path

SYNOPSIS
string basename (string $path, [string $suffix]) DESCRIPTION
Given a string containing the path to a file or directory, this function will return the trailing name component. PARAMETERS
o $path - A path. On Windows, both slash ( /) and backslash ( ) are used as directory separator character. In other environments, it is the forward slash ( /). o $suffix - If the name component ends in $suffix this will also be cut off. RETURN VALUES
Returns the base name of the given $path. EXAMPLES
Example #1 basename(3) example <?php echo "1) ".basename("/etc/sudoers.d", ".d").PHP_EOL; echo "2) ".basename("/etc/sudoers.d").PHP_EOL; echo "3) ".basename("/etc/passwd").PHP_EOL; echo "4) ".basename("/etc/").PHP_EOL; echo "5) ".basename(".").PHP_EOL; echo "6) ".basename("/"); ?> The above example will output: 1) sudoers 2) sudoers.d 3) passwd 4) etc 5) . 6) NOTES
Note basename(3) operates naively on the input string, and is not aware of the actual filesystem, or path components such as " ..". Note basename(3) is locale aware, so for it to see the correct basename with multibyte character paths, the matching locale must be set using the setlocale(3) function. SEE ALSO
dirname(3), pathinfo(3). PHP Documentation Group BASENAME(3)