Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux SuSE SUSE 9.1 - Problems with Adding new users plz help Post 79353 by ffffffh on Wednesday 27th of July 2005 07:31:25 AM
Old 07-27-2005
Don't use adduser.
Instead you can use useradd.

root@hostname:/tmp# adduser
Enter a username to add: test
Adding user `test'...
Adding new group `test' (1008).
Adding new user `test' (1008) with group `test'.
Creating home directory `/home/test'.
Copying files from `/etc/skel'
Enter new UNIX password:
Retype new UNIX password:
passwd: password updated successfully
Changing the user information for test
Enter the new value, or press ENTER for the default
Full Name []: test
Room Number []:
Work Phone []:
Home Phone []:
Other []:
Is the information correct? [y/N] y

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

a world of suse linux problems

1) how do i disable the graphic login in suse linux? 2) how do i disable the graphic boot-up in suse linux? 3) how do i disable the graphic console in suse linux? i think disabling graphic console will disable graphic booting, but what do i know, eh? 4) where is the dhcpcd directory and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nydel
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Suse Linux mount problems ?

We are experiencing several startup problems at boot time. In our /etc/rc.d/boot script we have "swapon -a -v &> /dev/null/' (without the quotes). We have also added echo statements to make it visible on the HMC during IPL. The echo statements are seen but there no messages for the swapon... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: darthur
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding users

Anyone have a simple shell script that will prompt and accept screen input for each field that is required in the /etc/passwd file? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Relykk
3 Replies

4. SuSE

SUSE 9 - problems accessing CD ROM drive

I've got SUSE 9 installed on a removable hard drive and the system is up and running fine. I'm trying to copy stuff off a CD onto one of my Linux partitions but I am getting an errors : * Could not read /media/cdrom/file1.tar.tar I can browse to the file location on the CD by using the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: GandalfWhite
11 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding users to /etc/group

I'm using SAM to add users on an HP and they're adding fine. But in /etc/group it only lists the group names. It's not adding the users in there. Is there a way to have them put in there without going into SAM and modifying the group and adding them? I guess what I want to happen is when I add... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: golfhakker
1 Replies

6. HP-UX

Users problems

Hi everybody! We have created a user, like another one that works well. But this "bad" user cannot loggin into an application that is running on informix bbdd. When the user try to loggin, it appears an error message: "killed" and logout. Do you know what can we do? where can we find the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: faca317
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding users question

Hello there, I want to add new users to my system, so, being logged in as root I do useradd -m user_name, and the new user is added to the system. The problem is that it has more privileges than I expected. If I do su user_name then I am allowed to do cat /etc/passwd , so it is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: help.goes.here
4 Replies

8. Linux

Unable to login with Domain users in the Suse linux

Hi Team, I have joined the Suse Linux Server in my domain. I am not able update the DNS but I am able to join the domain. net ads testjoin gives me Join ok. even net ads dns register -P results to DNS update failed. wbinfo -u and wbinfo -g also not working. Samba Configuration: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naree
1 Replies

9. AIX

adding users via smit

I apologize if this is a simple/stupid question. When I add users in smit as root, many(most) of the fields are automatically popluated with some basic default values. Some other admins here have access to create users via sudo, however when they create users (sudo smit users), the user gets... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mshilling
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding users from a txt fille

hello i'm making a bash script for adding users from a txt fille i have a basic script that adds users and their password . when you type the users by hand , now i want to upgrade my script with a txt file of users and their password , but i don't know how to start . my txt file looks... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Roggy
10 Replies
srptool(1)						      General Commands Manual							srptool(1)

NAME
srptool - Simple SRP password tool SYNOPSIS
srptool [options] DESCRIPTION
Very simple program that emulates the programs in the Stanford SRP (Secure Remote Password) libraries using GnuTLS. It is intended for use in places where you don't expect SRP authentication to be the used for system users. In brief, to use SRP you need to create two files. These are the password file that holds the users and the verifiers associated with them and the configuration file to hold the group parameters (called tpasswd.conf). OPTIONS
--bits BITS specify the number of bits for prime numbers (used only when the --create-conf option is used). --create-conf FILE Generate a tpasswd.conf file. -h, --help Prints a short reminder of the command line options. -i, --index INDEX Specify the index of the parameters in tpasswd.conf to use. -p, --passwd FILE Specify a password file. -c, --passwd-conf FILE Specify a password configuration file. -s, --salt SALT Specify salt size for crypt algorithm. -u, --username username Specify username. --verify Just verify password. EXAMPLES
To create tpasswd.conf which holds the g and n values for SRP protocol (generator and a large prime), run: $ srptool --create-conf /etc/tpasswd.conf This command will create /etc/tpasswd and will add user 'test' (you will also be prompted for a password). Verifiers are stored by default in the way libsrp expects. $ srptool --passwd /etc/tpasswd --passwd-conf /etc/tpasswd.conf -u test This command will check against a password. If the password matches the one in /etc/tpasswd you will get an ok. $ srptool --passwd /etc/tpasswd --passwd-conf /etc/tpasswd.conf --verify -u test AUTHOR
Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos <nmav@gnutls.org> and others; see /usr/share/doc/gnutls-bin/AUTHORS for a complete list. This manual page was written by Ivo Timmermans <ivo@debian.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). February 21st 2005 srptool(1)