Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: AIX Hangs
Operating Systems AIX AIX Hangs Post 77740 by vigsgb on Tuesday 12th of July 2005 11:31:04 AM
Old 07-12-2005
It sounds to me that system might be running out of virtual memory and is performing a core dump which takes some time and space. You may also be running out of disk on the entire box.

If you have the space try and double the virtual memory size or add more disk space.

You may also want to perform the lsps -a or topas commands to watch the memory usage etc while it is running. Check for an application dump.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Slackware

Fedora (C2) Hangs

Anyone else notice Fedora Core 2 (both 2.6.5 and .8 kernels) hang, specifically when running konqueror? I notice a lot of HD activity, but by the time I can switch to a shell to use top it's over. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Karma
1 Replies

2. AIX

AIX hangs on boot

Hi guys, Got a tiny bit of a problem on one of our servers here at work. I installed AIX 5.3 on the server and that went fine. Then I upgraded to ML 5300-05-01, but now the system just hangs on boot. The system starts up and the monitor comes on in few minutes, but a few seconds later when... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: drchris
6 Replies

3. AIX

AIX hangs through the boot process

To All: I have this AIX machine (see boot process below). The problem was it hangs at: The ctrmc Subsystem has been started. Subsystem PID is 11906.. I checked with other forums but their advise were just "strong punches in the air" with no specific explanation. I really appreciate if... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aix_xia
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script Hangs!

Hi, I have script which is based on TCL and expect. It is written to test my code. It usually runs fine for a while and hangs after sometime. Code snippet set l_temp_timeout $timeout OUTPUT_LOG2 2 >>>$expect_out(buffer)<<< OUTPUT_LOG2 2... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveenpn
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Explorer hangs

Hi Guys, Anyone encontered a problem where when you run your SUN explorer, it hangs at sysconfig? I am having this problem for some of my servers. rgds, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ronny_nch
1 Replies

6. Solaris

System hangs

Hi, today when i started the OS Sun Solaris 10 it hangs on initialization. Following was shown in the end of the screen Initializing system Please wait.... * Please help? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: malikshahid85
3 Replies

7. AIX

AIX 5.3 Boot Hangs On Power4 Hardware

Hi all, We have a old Power4 server with AIX version 5.3 installed. Upon boot up, it hangs right after the AIX welcome screen. On the diagnostic load progress LED indicator, I saw that it stopped at '0c32' then after awhile the LED would be blank. The screen on the monitor will hang at the black... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: a_sim
15 Replies

8. HP-UX

bdf hangs

hi, bdf command hangs but before it, it lists all the fstab content, so i cannot find the reason... could anybody give me any clue?? thanks a lot for your attention. regards Pablo i attach syslog Jan 14 16:30:00 sv23 vmunix: hp_dlpi_wput:Received an unrecognized primitive: 101d... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: pabloli150
7 Replies

9. Solaris

Server Hangs

I have a Sun-Fire-V210, the Server hangs for sometime and evn console wont be abled to access and after sometime the server comes back active. the messages file shows this , whats causing this ? # tail -500 messages Jan 25 07:02:16 xxxxxxxxxxxxx Corrupt label; wrong magic number Jan 25... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sojourner
2 Replies

10. IP Networking

SFTP hangs

Ok sftp connects but hangs after I enter the password manually The ssh version is 1.0 bash-2.05$ ssh -V SSH Version Sun_SSH_1.0, protocol versions 1.5/2.0. When I go from solaris 9 to sftp to another server with latest proftpd version it hangs after the password. proftpd -V Compile-time... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: slufoot80
6 Replies
SAVECORE(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					       SAVECORE(8)

NAME
savecore -- save a core dump of the operating system SYNOPSIS
savecore [-fvz] [-N system] [-Z level] [directory] savecore -c [-v] [-N system] savecore -n [-v] [-N system] DESCRIPTION
When the NetBSD kernel encounters a fatal error, the panic(9) routine arranges for a snapshot of the contents of physical memory to be writ- ten into a dump area, typically in the swap partition. Upon a subsequent reboot, savecore is typically run out of rc(8), before swapping is enabled, to copy the kernel and the saved memory image into directory, and enters a reboot message and information about the core dump into the system log. If a directory is not specified, then /var/crash is used. The kernel and core file can then be analyzed using various tools, including crash(8), dmesg(8), fstat(1), gdb(1), iostat(8), netstat(1), ps(1), and pstat(8), to attempt to deduce the cause of the crash. Crashes are usually the result of hardware faults or kernel bugs. If a kernel bug is suspected, a full bug report should be filed at http://www.netbsd.org/, or using send-pr(1), containing as much information as possible about the circumstances of the crash. Since crash dumps are typically very large and may contain whatever (potentially confidential) information was in memory at the time of the crash, do NOT include a copy of the crash dump file in the bug report; instead, save it somewhere in the event that a NetBSD developer wants to examine it. The options are as follows: -c Only clears the dump without saving it, so that future invocations of savecore will ignore it. -f Forces a dump to be taken even if the dump doesn't appear correct or there is insufficient disk space. -n Check whether a dump is present without taking further action. The command exits with zero status if a dump is present, or with non-zero status otherwise. -N Use system as the kernel instead of the default (returned by getbootfile(3)). Note that getbootfile(3) uses secure_path(3) to check that kernel file is ``secure'' and will default to /netbsd if the check fails. -v Prints out some additional debugging information. -z Compresses the core dump and kernel (see gzip(1)). -Z level Set the compression level for -z to level. Defaults to 1 (the fastest compression mode). Refer to gzip(1) for more information regarding the compression level. savecore checks the core dump in various ways to make sure that it is current and that it corresponds to the currently running system. If it passes these checks, it saves the core image in directory/netbsd.#.core and the system in directory/netbsd.# (or in directory/netbsd.#.core.gz and directory/netbsd.#.gz, respectively, if the -z option is used). The ``#'' is the number from the first line of the file directory/bounds, and it is incremented and stored back into the file each time savecore successfully runs. savecore also checks the available disk space before attempting to make the copies. If there is insufficient disk space in the file system containing directory, or if the file directory/minfree exists and the number of free kilobytes (for non-superusers) in the file system after the copies were made would be less than the number in the first line of this file, the copies are not attempted. If savecore successfully copies the kernel and the core dump, the core dump is cleared so that future invocations of savecore will ignore it. SEE ALSO
fstat(1), gdb(1), gzip(1), netstat(1), ps(1), send-pr(1), crash(8), dmesg(8), iostat(8), pstat(8), rc(8), syslogd(8), panic(9) HISTORY
The savecore command appeared in 4.1BSD. BUGS
The minfree code does not consider the effect of compression. BSD
September 13, 2011 BSD